Bringing family

Deputy Dog

AH member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am planning my first hunt in Africa. I’m not sure if I’m going to bring my wife though. She is not really into hunting though. What, if anything would there generally be for her to do? What is a day in camp generally like vs. what is a day like if you are the hunter? I know this question seems stupid but I’ve never done this before, so please excuse my ignorance.

Welcome to AH Deputy Dog! You found a great place to ask your questions.

Welcome welcome welcome

Hey everyone,

I am planning my first hunt in Africa. I’m not sure if I’m going to bring my wife though. She is not really into hunting though. What, if anything would there generally be for her to do? What is a day in camp generally like vs. what is a day like if you are the hunter? I know this question seems stupid but I’ve never done this before, so please excuse my ignorance.

Good day sir,
Welcome to the forum. Generally, a day in camp as a hunter will consist of an early breakfast, heading out for the morning session, and depending on conditions, you will return to camp around 11:30 for lunch. Again, depending on conditions, you will start your afternoon hunt around 14:00 until dark.
Camp will be very comfortable for the non-hunter, and there are a few excursions that she could be kept busy with, such as shopping trips such as souvenir shopping, SPA/Relaxation days, big 5 photographic safari day trips. We have found often that non-hunters were quite content to just spend relaxing days at the lodge, kick off their shoes or go for walks in the African bush.

All the best with your research. There is no greater resource of information as where you are right now.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hey everyone,

Welcome to AH! Different camps will have different activities for non-hunters. Most camps in RSA will have pools, so if you go during warmer months there is that. Even though your wife may not be into hunting, I would guess she'd enjoy a day or two with you when on the truck looking for game. And if she ventures off the truck to go on a stalk with you.......... well watch out, you may now have a new hunter for a spouse. That happened when my non-hunting wife went with me!

Other possible non-hunting activities can be touring wildlife parks/reserves to having massages and such. It just depends on what is available in the area you'd be hunting and what your wife would like to have available.

@JKO Hunting Safaris has a number of areas that Jacques hunts on in RSA. If you'd like more information regarding hunting with JKO and also what we can off your wife for non-hunting activities, please let me know. It would be helpful to understand what your wife's interests would be if you can provide that.

Let me attempt at least a partial answer to some of your questions. My first comment is to directly ask your outfitter. Then when talking to past clients ask them. There are a lot of "depends" in any answer. So places I've hunted we would go out and take a lunch with us. Others we have hunted early and later with 2-4 hours off mid day. Depends on what your hunting, how hot it is and where your at. Your outfitter should have details for you.
About your wife. Most places should be an adventure for her too. In RSA shopping can usually be arranged and often a spa day. You may be able to arrange for someone to take her to a game park for photography if your close to one. In some areas a trip to the beach.
One of the hunts that I liked the best we took 3 days and traveled to Vic falls and Chobe before we went hunting. Everyplace that I have been in Zambia RSA and Namibia has been suitable to take my wife.
If your PH promises certain outings for your wife don't be afraid to remind him of those extras that are planned on a week or so in advance.
Bruce

...... I know this question seems stupid but I’ve never done this before, so please excuse my ignorance.

Welcome to AH.

It's not a stupid question.
Asking questions is the best way to learn.

Welcome aboard! Lots of good info already. I'll second that you should ask your outfitter (or the outfitters you are considering), and I'm sure they will be able to line up some great stuff for the wife.

Depends on the camp, some offer more activities than others, our Outfitters on the forum will inform you.

But beware, a friend of mine took his wife on safari, who had never fired a rifle, and on the third day, she was hunting :ROFLMAO:

Hi Deputy Dog. Please email me at info@spearsafaris.com, we have a great many options for your wife as observer, some that you guys can do together as well. I hope to hear from you.
Cheers Ernest

It depends on the camp. RSA camps are like resorts from the pics I have seen. On the other hand I don't think your wife would appreciate these type of accommodations found in other countries ;)

LJJyVgGl.jpg

srhkMhQl.jpg

Attachments

• LJJyVgGl.jpg
    LJJyVgGl.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 89
  • srhkMhQl.jpg
    srhkMhQl.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 97
My question is would she go with you on a CO elk hunt? Africa is a big place and lots to do but if you are planning a hunting trip then take a hunting trip. Just my thoughts and only an idea for discussion.
Philip

If she enjoys photography, she'll likely find herself in heaven. I've only been to South Africa, and only twice, but the wildlife/bird photographic opportunities were a highlight for me...and I'm a died in the wool hunter.

Hello Deputy Dog
Welcome to the forum.
We would also be happy to suggest some activities to you and your wife beside hunting.
Enjoy your research - it is part of the fun.
There is very good advice on this forum.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

The only stupid question is the one not asked.....

Don't ever worry about asking something here, not matter how daft you think it might be, I bet there are others reading and wondering the same thing and this is not the place where anyone pours scorn on another fellow hunter.

My wife came with me on my first trip and thought she would maybe spend a day or two following as I hunted and a few days relaxing at the the lodgings.

As it turned out, she (and my daughter) came with me every time I hunted. She enjoyed the walks and stalks in the bush, enjoyed taking photos as we went.
There is always something to see, birds, reptiles, insects, mammals.

If your wife enjoys a walk, enjoys wildlife and new scenery then I'm sure she will go with you.
If she wants to chill then she can stay in the lodge, read, if there is a pool, swim, go for a walk nearby.
The African bush is a great place to relax and you can see or ask what facilities are available by researching and asking potential outfitters.

Good Day Deputy Dog

Welcome to AH.

Our camp is short 2 drive from Johannesburg Int airport but still gives you that African bush feeling.It gives non hunters the opportunity to experience more of our beautiful country and what it has to offer and less time traveling.We have a big list of non hunter activities including Elephant encounters , Spa days , cultural excursions.

You are more than welcome to contact me at any time for more info about Tsala hunting Safaris.

Regards

Rouan

Welcome to the forum sir.

A lot of information and offers on here. With my experience the wives enjoy the driving around, looking at animals just as much as any hunter would. We usually hunt on foot so the wives wait or drive with the truck to a glassing spot or so. A lot of times I take the wife with us on the stalk and just leave her and a tracker behind a bush when we go on the final part of the stalk. However there is also side trips and activities that could be set up for the women and children that does not hunt. A few of my areas offer activities like horse riding, fishing and off course shopping.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me, I will be more than happy to assist and shed some more light on what you would like to know.

All my best,

Jacques

Hello Deputy Dog,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Presuming you are a Sheriff’s Deputy somewhere in the USA ? I will add that when I was young and wild, likewise I was one, in Soviet Occupied California .
Was a great job (well, aside from being quite dangerous and thereby very hard for one’s family to stomach).
Be that as it may, I had to get away to a free zone and so I did.
I live in Alaska but Africa is my true love, despite her commonly corrupt governments (as if all governments, including ours are not totally corrupt as well lol).

Anyway, let us know if we can help you sort out a Safari.
Khomas offers true Free Range hunting conditions (not game fenced / antelope and zebra migrations, etc.)
Likewise, non-hunters are also very welcome.
There is horseback riding, sight seeing, souvenir shopping, cultural tourism and so forth.

Of course I am partial to the safari company I work for.
However, no matter which outfit you begin to focus on for a visit to Africa, I can’t urge you strongly enough to do a lot of “homework” on them before sending a deposit.
Most here in the world’s greatest forum are quite good but now and then, a rotten apple gets into the mix.

If all prospective clients do a thorough background investigation, prior to sending money, those types soon disappear for lack of bookings.
Conversely, the good ones become endowed with glowing multiple hunt reports, from happy clients as they return and begin typing happy words about their experiences.

Anyway Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Deputy Dog
I took my non shooting wife and my 15 year old son to Namibia and we all had a ball.
You can read about it in hunting reports
Hunting with Osombahe Nord safaris run and owned by Harold and Liezel.
Cheers mate take the family and have fun you won't regret it.
Bob Nelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross