hoguer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tajikistan, Argentina, Spain, New Zealand
My name is Thomas and I am a lifelong big game hunter in North America, and wingshooter with English Pointers. I joined to gather more information on scheduling a plainsgame hunt for my father and myself in 2018 and found this site when searching for information about an outfitter I was about to book a hunt with, Northwoods Adventures. After finding a thread with negative reviews about his brokerage, I am hoping to spend some time here looking for a adequate replacement and more information.

Hoguer, welcome to AH! There are lots of great outfitters here on AH.
Do you know what country you want to hunt in?
I’d suggest you either decide just what animals you want to hunt to make certain the outfitter has them on their concessions, or take what every Africa offers.
What kind of condition is your dad in? Example: I’m 70, but probably in the top 10% of 70 year olds for condition (I work out 3 days a week just to be able to hunt and fish). This is important if you want to spend the day walking and stalking, sitting in a blind, etc.
Just make yourself a list of what kind of hunt and game you are interested in.
JMO and best of luck on your safari! You and your dad will have a great time!

The hunt was in South Africa and was for 10 Days with 12 animals for approx $5900 per person all inclusive. My father and I are both in very good shape (30yr, 55yr) and regularly cover over 10 miles of strenuous terrain a day in the states when hunting.
We were on track for a 10 day hunt for Kudu, Gemsbuck, Wildebeest, Cape Bushbuck, Blesbuck, Impala, Warthog, Cape Springbuck, Black Springbuck, Common Duiker and 2 call animals.
I would prefer a more “active” hunt and don’t mind putting in the work.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! Best of luck in your search

Enjoy your education here on AH.
Have fun planning your trip.

Yes sir welcome. Ask questions, there is enormous information here by well versed hunters.

Welcome to AH sir! Several very fine outfitters here on AH. If you have questions about Safari planning I am always willing too help.
Charlie

Welcome to AH!

The guys here have forgotten more than most people will ever learn about planning/booking hunts. Welcome and congrats on joining a great community.

Hello and welcome, I would suggest Andri Fox Safaris, Tootabi Valley Safaris (not to be confused with Tootabi Safaris) the man you would want to talk to us Jerard Du Preez aka Beans, or Justin Caywood of Arc Africa Safaris. Any of the three are excellent Outfitters in SA. Simon Leach is also a great one of TMS but he mainly operates in Mozambique.

Welcome to the forum Thomas. Glad to have you join our community.

All the best with your research.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH !

My name is Thomas and I am a lifelong big game hunter in North America, and wingshooter with English Pointers. I joined to gather more information on scheduling a plainsgame hunt for my father and myself in 2018 and found this site when searching for information about an outfitter I was about to book a hunt with, Northwoods Adventures. After finding a thread with negative reviews about his brokerage, I am hoping to spend some time here looking for a adequate replacement and more information.
Thomas
Enjoy planning your destination for your safari to Africa.
Have FUN doing it, since the planning process forms an important part of your safari...

Welcome Thomas!
Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.

Welcome, enjoy your research. South Africa offers some good wingshooting over pointing dogs, maybe add that to your plainsgame hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg