Which Country

Appreciate all the responses so far. Let me rephrase my question slightly. Is it worth it for a first time plains game hunt to go somewhere like Tanzania or Mozambique over the more typical Namibia or South Africa trip? Putting aside cost and logistics does anyone think the hunting or hunting experience is “better” somewhere other than Namibia or South Africa?
Yes to the hunting, unless you call shooting hunting. Which from your questions, that doesn't sound like you;)

Good day jcnelsn, welcome on AH. Game Trackers Africa facilitates safaris in South Africa, Namibia and Tanzania and all three countries will provide an unforgettable experience and good quality trophies, however I agree with your sentiments that South Africa as a first stop is a more logical option to gain experience and meet your objectives. Please feel free to email me re more information on our South African Safari Areas or Namibia and Tanzania if you wish. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
I agree with everybody above.
In general South Africa and Namibia is fairly affordable, lots of game, easy and safe to travel to but stick to the large ranches. I will never hunt on the small high intensive breeding plots (I do not even want to call them farms or ranches) where every single animal is ear tagged and has a name, etc.
The large ranches offer some excellent hunting opportunities though.

Rest of Africa in general is open free range, more expensive, more difficult to travel to, not such high concentrations of game but with that old style Hemingway tented camp atmosphere.

My fondest memories and ideal place to hunt was the Okavango Delta in Botswana but sadly there is no more hunting allowed inside the Okavango. Maybe some areas on the fringes you can still get a taste of the Okavango.

My advice to jcnelsn1 is to do your research but remember there is not just one place that will check all the boxes. Every single place you visit or hunt will have some strong points over another place.
Just jump in and do it. South Africa is so affordable that even if you do not pick the best outfitter in the best area you will still enjoy it and you have not spent that much money so you can afford to pick again and go with another outfitter in a different area and experience more of Africa. It is like eating peanuts. You just cannot stop after eating just one peanut can you?

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

I agree with everybody above.
In general South Africa and Namibia is fairly affordable, lots of game, easy and safe to travel to but stick to the large ranches. I will never hunt on the small high intensive breeding plots (I do not even want to call them farms or ranches) where every single animal is ear tagged and has a name, etc.
The large ranches offer some excellent hunting opportunities though.

Rest of Africa in general is open free range, more expensive, more difficult to travel to, not such high concentrations of game but with that old style Hemingway tented camp atmosphere.

My fondest memories and ideal place to hunt was the Okavango Delta in Botswana but sadly there is no more hunting allowed inside the Okavango. Maybe some areas on the fringes you can still get a taste of the Okavango.

My advice to jcnelsn1 is to do your research but remember there is not just one place that will check all the boxes. Every single place you visit or hunt will have some strong points over another place.
Just jump in and do it. South Africa is so affordable that even if you do not pick the best outfitter in the best area you will still enjoy it and you have not spent that much money so you can afford to pick again and go with another outfitter in a different area and experience more of Africa. It is like eating peanuts. You just cannot stop after eating just one peanut can you?

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Loved that last line of yours Hans: "Africa is like eating peanuts, you cannot stop after eating just one peanut, can you?"

Looking at a first Africa safari. We would be interested in targeting a wide range of plains game with the opportunity to take a couple of the “marquee” plains game species (e.g., Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Sable, etc). My research is generally indicating Namibia or South Africa for a first safari. Seems like a lot of the rationale for that is cost and ease of getting there.

If cost and logistics were not an object which country would you pick for the best plains game hunting experience (e.g. lots of animals and species, good trophy quality, excellent lodging and African experience)? I understand the size of many fenced concessions etc but free range would be an added bonus. Not a deal killer.

Hello and welcome to AH @jcnelsn1 !

I have just went on my own first safari, in June 2021. I echo what a lot of the other, more knowledgeable members here, are saying. South-Africa as a first destination is definitely a good choice. I went to the Eastern Cape, where I hunted on high fenced properties (but due to the heavy brush and mountainous terrain, the animals did not know this) as well as on cattle farms with low fence. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Looking at a first Africa safari. We would be interested in targeting a wide range of plains game with the opportunity to take a couple of the “marquee” plains game species (e.g., Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Sable, etc). My research is generally indicating Namibia or South Africa for a first safari. Seems like a lot of the rationale for that is cost and ease of getting there.

If cost and logistics were not an object which country would you pick for the best plains game hunting experience (e.g. lots of animals and species, good trophy quality, excellent lodging and African experience)? I understand the size of many fenced concessions etc but free range would be an added bonus. Not a deal killer.

Good day sir,
Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to drop me a PM. We operate mainly out of the Eastern Cape and have some low fenced/free range options for you on some of those animals down in our areas.

Best of luck with your research. There are many great outfits that have already responded.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Zimbabwe offers a bit of everything, all indigenous. Almost all camps are tented, albeit permanent tents. You can get quite a variety of species in the conservancies, like eland, kudu, waterbuck, elephant, buffalo, impala, zebra, giraffe, bushbuck, sable, crocodile, hippo, leopard, lion, etc. Then in the safari areas the hunting tends to be more for the DG species.

Reactions: WAB
I’ve already been to RSA and loved it and will go back for more-but if I had the money and was seeking a deep adventure with some of everything, I would look at Uganda.
With regard to fences, think size of ranch-just like Texas, Wyoming or New Mexico or Utah and on and on. Lots of eight foot fences to keep animals off the road or out of the canal and occasional cattle fence to mark property and restrict cattle and sheep movement but lots of game living in good habitat. Just stay away from the “small” parcels.
Pick a ph from this website and go enjoy your hunting trip

Welcome to the forum sir and apologies for the late response to the thread. Good luck on planning your safari and either South Africa or Namibia will be a good start for your first safari.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to send me any questions at any time. I do have a couple of excellent and large areas where your hunting experience will be second to none with the bonus of top quality trophies.

Good luck with the planning and never hesitate to ask questions!

All my best,

Jacques Spamer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross