Can I hunt Africa? I have injuries...

Hello @CZDiesel ,

As you can see, there are many reputable outfitters who are more than happy to accommodate you, and we at Limcroma Safaris are no different.

Each season we successfully host hunters of all ages and physical capabilities. We are happy to work with and supercede any challenges or limitations of our guests. Please feel free to contact us anytime with questions.

Good Day CZDiesel

We can most certainly accommodate you and plan our hunts according to the clients abilities.

You are welcome to contact me.

Regards

Rouan

So I have just been medically retired from my career because of injuries that happened 19 years ago. I have chronic pain, swelling, and difficultit’s with mobility associated with the wounds...

I want want to come to Africa in 2023 for a PG and possible DG hunt and have talked to several friends that have discussed going with me in the past to plan it. But all my friends keep asking if I’ll be able to actually hunt or if any outfitters or PH’s will want to work with me?

So my injuries... In 2002 I was involved in a gun fight and was hit five times in my right hip and both right and left legs. I was, for over a year, in a hospital bed. But in 2004 went back to work in management for Costco, a pretty physically demanding job. I held that job until this spring, walking upwards of 10 miles a day. But in the last several years my legs just couldn’t do it anymore. I tell you this because it’s not that I can’t walk, I can! It’s not that I’m not mobile, I am! But I’m slower, I can’t go the distance that I could before, and I need assistance from a walking stick at times. Weather and swelling can cause severe pain but I know how to keep them mitigated. There can be days I just can’t do it at all, sadly...

So I guess the question is what it is! Can I still hunt Africa and are there Outfitters and PHs that are willing to work with my disabilities?

Im OK with any questions about my injuries if an Outfitter or PH needs clarification or more information before giving their opinion...
Yes you can. If you can walk 200 metres from a truck you will get all the hunting you want. You will be surprised just how much game in South Africa is shot from the back of a hunting vehicle.

Hello sir,

I will be more than happy to help you put together a hunt. I have hunted with wounded warriors before so we can definitely get it done.

Please PM me your email address and I can get some information through to you so we can discuss all possibilities.

Thank you sir and I am looking forward to hear from you.

All my best,

Jacques

Absolutely you can.
My injury can't compare to yours except that it effects my ability to walk long distances and swells and aches. I had a Tibial Plateau fracture (snapped my knee joint) in 2014. I have had 4 surgeries leading up to a total knee replacement in 2020. Brother if you have been doing up to 10 miles a day -on concrete- your can definitely do African plains game.
My advice is talk it over with outfitters until you find your fit and GO!
My best advice is get good seats on the plane. Being able to stretch out on the plane ride is now my biggest concern for a hunt. My knee seldom hinders me over there, especially when on the stalk. It's wonderful how knowing you are following a Kudu, Gemsbok or Zebra can make you forget all about your infirmities.

I would do a longer PG trip so you can have bad days and not be stressed.
[...]
It would be very easy to a trip where you hunt from blinds part of the time and cruise around in a truck looking for game and just stalk in the last 400 hundred yards.

Everyone has given good advice, but this particularly stood out to me (y)

As the above posts indicate Africa has all kinds of terrain. If DG is part of your plan, in Zimbabwe Save and Nuanetsi conservancy areas are flatter and should accommodate your disabilities.

So I have just been medically retired from my career because of injuries that happened 19 years ago. I have chronic pain, swelling, and difficultit’s with mobility associated with the wounds...

I want want to come to Africa in 2023 for a PG and possible DG hunt and have talked to several friends that have discussed going with me in the past to plan it. But all my friends keep asking if I’ll be able to actually hunt or if any outfitters or PH’s will want to work with me?

So my injuries... In 2002 I was involved in a gun fight and was hit five times in my right hip and both right and left legs. I was, for over a year, in a hospital bed. But in 2004 went back to work in management for Costco, a pretty physically demanding job. I held that job until this spring, walking upwards of 10 miles a day. But in the last several years my legs just couldn’t do it anymore. I tell you this because it’s not that I can’t walk, I can! It’s not that I’m not mobile, I am! But I’m slower, I can’t go the distance that I could before, and I need assistance from a walking stick at times. Weather and swelling can cause severe pain but I know how to keep them mitigated. There can be days I just can’t do it at all, sadly...

So I guess the question is what it is! Can I still hunt Africa and are there Outfitters and PHs that are willing to work with my disabilities?

Im OK with any questions about my injuries if an Outfitter or PH needs clarification or more information before giving their opinion...
Hello CZDiesel
We've had several disabled hunters in the past.
We would love to accommodate you as well.
Given that you can walk a little bit makes it so much easier than just a wheelchair hunter.
So hunting in Africa is no problem at all.
Our area is totally flat with no mountains so that makes it very easy for walking.
We'll take it as slow as is necessary.
Just send us an e-mail and we'll work out a good package for you and your friends.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

CZDiesel, we share a lot of common pain. I was in a motorcycle accident in 1971 and subsequently told I'd never be able to walk unassisted again. I designed my own leg brace and proved them all wrong at least for a while. Physically I've been on a downhill slide for the past six or seven years. I still love to hunt and had to accept alternative ways of doing so. Just make sure your outfitter is aware of your challenges and he will make every effort to accommodate you. I would highly recommend that you book with one of the AH outfitter / sponsors. Why, because these guys have to "walk the walk" as they are "vetted" almost continually by other members. I've hunted PG twice and would happily go again.

@CZDiesel
I feel your pain mate but not from being shot but work related injury.
ALL IS NOT LOST. I told my PH I had good and bad days. Some I was able to walk with them be it a lot slower and have spot and stalk hunts. When my legs swelled up and I couldn't get my boots on we built a hide in a good area and hunted from that. If people say hunting from a hide is easy try sitting QUIETLY in one spot in 36 degrees celcieus with no shade for 6 hours waiting for just the right animal to show. It is mentally exhausting and can get physically hard.
Don't let the pain get to you go and do it even if you have to do a mixed style of hunt. My PH was fantastic at accommodating my needs and I had a great time. I think you will find most good PHs will tailor a hunt to suit you individual needs.
You only have one life, live it to the full. If the pain gets to much take another handful of drugs, smile, tell yourself at least I'm alive and enjoy life. That's what I do.
Bob
20200125_105551.jpg

My zebra taken after 6 hours in a blind.

I would say that the flight to Africa is more stressful than the hunts themselves, at least for plains game. On my hunt we did do some serious walking, not because it was needed but it was what my PH and I decided to do.

As for importing a firearm into a country in Africa, if you use a pre approved rifle service with a meet and greet it is no more stressful than just going through customs, and usually a lot less stressful since you are taken to the head of the line in most instances.
@JimP
I took my rifle and my son's rifle to Namibia with zero problems. It took longer to collect my personal luggage than my rifles. I found the authorities to be pleasant and good to deal with. Unlock the case , check the numbers and paperwork, close case and gone
That quick.
Bob

@CZDiesel
I feel your pain mate but not from being shot but work related injury.
ALL IS NOT LOST. I told my PH I had good and bad days. Some I was able to walk with them be it a lot slower and have spot and stalk hunts. When my legs swelled up and I couldn't get my boots on we built a hide in a good area and hunted from that. If people say hunting from a hide is easy try sitting QUIETLY in one spot in 36 degrees celcieus with no shade for 6 hours waiting for just the right animal to show. It is mentally exhausting and can get physically hard.
Don't let the pain get to you go and do it even if you have to do a mixed style of hunt. My PH was fantastic at accommodating my needs and I had a great time. I think you will find most good PHs will tailor a hunt to suit you individual needs.
You only have one life, live it to the full. If the pain gets to much take another handful of drugs, smile, tell yourself at least I'm alive and enjoy life. That's what I do.
Bob View attachment 424526
My zebra taken after 6 hours in a blind.
Now that’s the way to do it! Congrats on a great hunt and an even better Zebra!

Absolutely!!! Every PH/Outfitter can "make a plan" to accommodate the physical capabilities and limits of a client. Lots of options from shorter stalks, blinds or from the truck.

As someone posted earlier, the most arduous part will be the LONG plane rides over/back, unless you can afford the various 1st/Business class seats.

Nothing to add but go for it! Talk to different firms and decide who you have an affinity with, book it, enjoy the planning/preparation, and post the report when you get back.

Thank you everyone for all the replies and the encouragement to keep living and chasing game on Safari!
Sorry for the very delayed response to everyone, I have been out of town down in Tucson visiting my 88yo father who has terminal cancer. He’s such a fighter he just refuses to give up but I’m not going to lie it was depressing seeing him in the state he is in now. So consequently I spent all my time with him and away from the internet.
Once again thank you everyone for your response and I must say people here on this forum are the best on the internet! Thank you!

That is sad news about your father. Good that you focused on your dad and spent time with him.
Hope the safari plan comes together sooner than later.

Thank you everyone for all the replies and the encouragement to keep living and chasing game on Safari!
Sorry for the very delayed response to everyone, I have been out of town down in Tucson visiting my 88yo father who has terminal cancer. He’s such a fighter he just refuses to give up but I’m not going to lie it was depressing seeing him in the state he is in now. So consequently I spent all my time with him and away from the internet.
Once again thank you everyone for your response and I must say people here on this forum are the best on the internet! Thank you!
@CZDiesel
Sorry to hear about your dad mate.
Tell him about your dream to hunt Africa. He will be glad to hear of your dreams and if he is like my father was he we ill say get off your ass and do it. It is slso a bonding experience for you and dad
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois