Baboon Pictures

Next time I hunt Africa I'm going to get one of these!

High on my list for the next trip also!

I was lucky when I got mine in Namibia. We heard them coming for water one day while having lunch. My PH reluctantly agreed to let me set up for an ambush (I think he figured it was a waste of time and would have rather stayed in the shade of the big tree where we were eating!). After a couple of minutes a mid-sized one appeared about 30 yards away and started down the hill straight at us. After only a couple of steps, it somehow spotted us hiding in the bush, let out a bark and doubled back up the hill to sit down and keep an eye on us. Then the big male came out of the grass behind the first one and my PH said "Shoot!". The baboon dropped in his tracks 50 yards up the hill from us. I was very excited by this, as I had hoped to get a crack at one, but didn't expect it to happen, but my PH was even more excited than I was. He said in his wonderful Afrikaan accent, "My friend, you just killed a chacma baboon by ambush! I can not believe that worked out!!!" Then he said, "You would not believe how difficult this is....to be that close and to get a shot! They are very clever and have incredible vision!" It was then that I really started to get excited, and now to read this thread and see how many of you Africa veterans have yet to get one makes me even more grateful! :)

Namibia 2014-Baboon1.jpg

Namibia 2014-Baboon2.jpg

High on my list, in the coming week !

Congrats! I still need one.

full

dc224cc8-aa60-4f5e-a0d0-9f6c1c2497bc.jpg

Double down

Must say I like them, they are mean smelly and not nice to each other or other species. First intro was even before first safari, acclimatization days prior in Vic Falls Park, wife seen a big one coming down path, ooh look, get out camera and take pics, at 10 feet he gave us a teeth show and made one hell of a sound, we took to mean get the hell out of my way, and we did backtrack immediately. Had to have one after that. Shot at least 1 on every safari, even eat one in Zim, (thanks Wayne, he did not). Baboons provide options, shoot a big male and chance his teeth are busted/gone, shoot an average size and get a skull full of teeth. Challenge was trying to get an old big male with all his teeth. They scream Africa so I will shoot another.

MB

Photo 2021-03-22, 16 28 12 (1).jpg

Baboons are funny creatures. Notoriously difficult to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross