SOUTH AFRICA: Fabulous Hunt With Henry Griffiths Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Egan36, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Egan36

Egan36 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Awesome trip to South Africa with Henry Griffiths Safaris. I met Henry at the Harrisburg PA sportsman show. From the moment I stopped at his table to talk with him I knew I had to book a hunt with him. After a year of going back and forth via Facebook I pulled the trigger and was headed to the Kalahari.

Henry picked us up in Joberg and we headed for Stella South Africa. After we arrived in the middle of nowhere on a lot of Sandy roads we were finally in camp. This is where we met with his wonderful wife Tanya. Who was going to manage camp. The camp was very nice with a few chalets and main thatched roof style building which is where we gathered for meals and drinks each night. So after nearly 24 hours of traveling from the states my wife and I settled in for the night.

The next morning we gathered our gear after a quick breakfast and headed out. We spent the morning trying to stalk black wildebeest in the open Plains. Which Henry did explain was no easy task. At one point we were down to hands and knees moving in on them. We were able to get a nice bull in scope but Henry advised he was not exactly what we were looking for. So we backed out. A few hours later while stalking a red Hartabeest which we spooked a beautiful black wildebeest came running through. FB_IMG_1459461256740.jpg
    The following after noon we were able to take a blesbok. FB_IMG_1459461246340.jpg
    While we were hunting this common blesbok we kept seeing a nice white blesbok in the herd. We spent an entire afternoon trying to get within range of him. Just when we would think we were good he would bolt again. So up early the following morning with the sole objective of trying to get this white ram. Sure enough at about 9 am he showed himself. While standing alone at 300 yards we connected with him. FB_IMG_1459461158778.jpg
    What an amazing morning that was.

After that it was back for an early breakfast and we decided to pull up camp and head to piet Plessis.

After a few hours drive we arrived to a beautiful farm in Piet Plessis. Which was the same set up as previous farm.

The following morning we were able to connect with a nice springbok FB_IMG_1459461095864.jpg
    This was my third trip to dark continent, first time hunting with Henry. So I was looking for certain animals. My wife decided we should try to find a zebra, since she really like the rug we had from a previous hunt. This turned out to be the toughest part of the hunt. We spent 3 days looking for zebra. It wasn't that we didn't see zebra. It was that trying to get a shot was proving to be difficult. At one point Henry and I were convinced that the Zebra could hear us talking about them. We had other animals standing in the road but the Zebra wouldn't hang around at all. After some persistence we put a great stalk on a large herd and got lucky enough to take a nice stallion. FB_IMG_1459461527118.jpg
    This is Henry and I.
    Now for my favorite part of the hunt. Before I left for my trip Henry advised me that there was two old Sable bulls the owner of the property wanted to be hunted. So with 3 days left we geared up to take a peak at these Sable. Henry advised it may take 3 days to find both of them and decide if I wanted one of them. So the first morning we were able to find one of the bulls which had broken tips. I was ready to pull the trigger. Henry said he's not spooked lets go see if we can find the other bull. I decided he was right and we drove off in search of the second bull. The only thing going through my mind as we lost sight of the first bull was we will never see him again. Well within an hour we found the second bull. With a quick look I knew I liked the first one better, even though the second bull did not have broken tips. So AGAIN we decided to leave this bull and go back in search of the other one. Again with an hour we caught up to him. FB_IMG_1459461148374.jpg
    All I can say is I was thrilled to be able to take this awesome animal. With such amazing character. When the farm manager came to check him out. He said yup that's the old bull that had a serious attitude problem and broke his tips fighting. We determined that he was roughly 13 years old and barely any teeth left. I was honored to be able to hunt this magnificent animal.

Since we planned 3 days to hunt these Sable and it only took us until about lunch time of the first day we were able to relax and enjoy being in Africa. So we spent the rest of the time cruising the farm and enjoying some cocktails.

On the last night Tanya prepared all the filets out of each animal while we enjoyed our last night in Africa. I have to say the springbok was my favorite.

My wife and I had an amazing hunt with Henry and his wife Tanya. They are two kind down to earth people that made the trip fantastic. I have found my PH for all of future trips to Africa.

As I type this I am counting the days until my next trip which is in 17 days. Lol. I am taking my wife to Cape Town then heading up to see some friends in Hartabeesport. I have already planned to meet Henry for a few days on a farm in limpopo he is now hunting.

So anyone looking for a fantastic hunt in South Africa with a great outfit. Do not hesitate to contact Henry Griffiths Safaris.

edward, jasyblood, jeff and 4 others like this.

2. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    Great report, congrats on your trophies.

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.
    Great success.

4. peras

peras AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA HSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
    Congratulations.

5. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Seems like you really enjoyed it, congrats !

6. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Congrats and thanks for sharing!

7. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Congrats on your hunt. The sable bull you took will be a conversation item for many years to come. How do you plan to have him mounted?

8. Egan36

Egan36 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hello CAustin

I plan to have a wall pedestal done with him. Thanks

edward, johnnyblues and CAustin like this.

9. Henry Griffiths Safaris

Henry Griffiths Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    phasa
  10. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    WOW! Congrats and thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

11. Egan36

Egan36 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    HenryG

No problem. Was a fantastic hunt. As you know I will be on my in 11 days. Hope you have a Kalahari juice waiting. Lol

12. Henry Griffiths Safaris

Henry Griffiths Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    phasa
  13. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Congrats on great hunt! Am going to spend a few days with Henry the first part of Oct.

14. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Good going. Congratulations on your trophies. Great memories for years to come.

15. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    nice animals,good hunt,glad you had a good time.

16. kathy

kathy AH Fanatic

Looks like a great hunt . thanks for sharing. Forrest