Baboon Pictures

73142_481159361937858_619598655_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Those poor birds didn't stand a chance against those baboons.

"The Professor"

Attachments

• c2020b64-7f19-4537-a541-4a799f859be1_zps40bb091a.jpg
    c2020b64-7f19-4537-a541-4a799f859be1_zps40bb091a.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 185
A very happy chappy....

happyness.jpg

Give those Egyptian Geese credit for not backing down. I would have guessed that the baboons would have caught one of them as well.

A narrow escape! :nailbiter:

19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

:laughing: The further the better is my guess, I still haven't been able to shoot one.

Would one have a chance at, say, 600 yards?
I compete high power rifle at these distances with open sights prone so with a scope I might have a good chance if able to shoot prone.

I've read here how smart they are and reports say they can distinguish between a rifle that is held up ready to fire vs. one that is not.
If one from a group is hit, even from a great distance, do the others scatter?

Oh I know just try it and find out...:sharpshooter:

If one from a group is hit, even from a great distance, do the others scatter?

From what I have witnessed; At the shot they disappear like ghosts...

So true! they don't linger around or investigate a fallen comrade--they just scatter with the speed of lightning!

From a safe distance they will then talk to you in foreign languages and show you all types of hand signals! lol:thumb:

12.jpg

With our 'normal' baboon set-up for longer distances [.280 with special 150 gr hand-loads and a scope turned to max 6 x] about 400 m is the max distance that we feel 'safe' to give a reasonable chance for a kill shot, taking the swirling wind over that distance and also many times the mirage also into consideration.

With a better/more specialized rifle/bullet/scope combination, [and a lot of practice at these distances before hand ,600-1000 m] you can definitely push the distance envelope some more! [ I've done it a couple of times in my younger days!] But, as I've said, then we start talking specialization and expert long distance marksmen-ship. Not your average hunting rifle zeroed at 100 m [Bushveld conditions] or plains-game rifle zeroed at 200-300 m.[+ ?]

Baboon hunting definitely brings a different hunting aspect, skill and thrill/experience to the table , and once you are 'hooked' you will probably start to do the bank balance maths for a specialized rifle set-up!

There are certain places though where you can still hunt them at lesser distances if the conditions are in your favour, for example , when i were waiting in ambush with my spear on my recent warthog hunt, and before i started with the final stalk, some unsuspecting baboons out of a foraging troop came to within 22 m from me! I don't know if they would have stood still if i had a rifle with me and moved it to my right to took a shot!
As it was,it was a wonderful experience to have 'fooled' them with my camouflage till they were that close. It can be done with a lot of patience and luck and being at the right place at the right time!

To all my [overseas] friends who have not done so before--next time during your safari you must definitely give baboon hunting/sniping a try i! :thumb:;)

Good hunting!

That'll sure make it harder. Heck, I can't blame 'em...it's exactly what I'd do if, say, the guy standing next to me suddenly keeled over from a gunshot.

I asked about hunting Baboon on my recent trip to Namibia. Guide told me they were in the mountains and only venture to his place when it's been vacant for a while. So it wasn't practical for me to go after them.

I then got an ear full about the measures they have to take against them: electrified wire around the roof, covering glassed areas etc... They must truly be a horror.

:laughing::monkey::big grin:

1452402_566769063402898_786390053_n.jpg

Just aan add tot he babon thread.

I mounted a baboon a couple years back, killed near the Orange River in Namibia b my Friend Ken, I even made the jaw set we used.

Attachments

• Baboon 017.JPG
    Baboon 017.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Baboon 002.JPG
    Baboon 002.JPG
    731 KB · Views: 185
  • Baboon 006.JPG
    Baboon 006.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 194
that is a monster!

The sweet and innocent.....

musiek.jpg

Rude old bugger!

tecy.jpg

1 (2).jpg
2 (2).jpg
Bobejaan5.jpg

Attachments

• 1 (2).JPG
    1 (2).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 2 (2).JPG
    2 (2).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Bobejaan5.JPG
    Bobejaan5.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 197

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois