The big, bad 375... isn't?

Congrats on your new rifle. I’m in a similar situation. I bought a Model 70 in 375 about 2 months ago. I enjoy shooting it and it is very accurate. As mentioned earlier, it seems like it will be a gateway for me as well. I am currently looking for a 404 Jeff or a 416 Rem. My issue is I am a lefty and they really limits the options. I did read the Ruger no 1 thread yesterday, so those rifles have my interest now. Sorry to derail your post. You have an Africa trip planned for your new 375?
I too am a lefty, welcome to the struggle. No Africa trips planned quite yet, but I've started a savings account for it, bought the rifle and begun to get proficient, and got it signed off by my better half so now its just a matter of time and funds.

Hall,

That sounds like a solid plan. What cartridge are you shooting? What optics did you put on it? I’ve shot a couple of deer with mine since getting it. I believe I’ll keep deer and pig hunting with it here at home between trips to Africa.

Weight is the key to enjoying a 375. I made the decision the lighter the weight the more it would be hunted with. I bought a browning x-bolt. It weighs 7 3/4 pounds with the scope. It kicks! I have another 375 that weighs 8 3/4 pounds with the scope and it is much more tolerable. I believe 9.5 pounds scoped would be the sweet spot for weight vs tolerable recoil.

A couple week ago I bought my very first big (to me) bore rifle. A 375 h&h. I've been hearing from friends and coworkers about what a monster it would be, that that it was going to be way too much recoil. This got in my head a bit. I finally made it to the range and all the standing shooting lanes were taken. So with much trepidation, I take a bench rest shooting bay. I uncase my rifle, bore sight on my 50 yard target, and then squeeze off my first round... And much to my surprise, the rifle recoiled a little bit more than my .270! I shot 30 rounds (that's all I had on hard) and figured I'd wait until morning to post to see if I developed and bruising or soreness. None at all. I'm in love and wondering just how big the step up into the 40 cal rifles would be.
Sounds like you’re ready for a .458 Lott. A big shove. I think you could handle it.

A couple week ago I bought my very first big (to me) bore rifle. A 375 h&h. I've been hearing from friends and coworkers about what a monster it would be, that that it was going to be way too much recoil. This got in my head a bit. I finally made it to the range and all the standing shooting lanes were taken. So with much trepidation, I take a bench rest shooting bay. I uncase my rifle, bore sight on my 50 yard target, and then squeeze off my first round... And much to my surprise, the rifle recoiled a little bit more than my .270! I shot 30 rounds (that's all I had on hard) and figured I'd wait until morning to post to see if I developed and bruising or soreness. None at all. I'm in love and wondering just how big the step up into the 40 cal rifles would be.
I have a 375H&H, like shooting it more than my 300WM. Bought a MRC 404Jeffrey, not nearly as comfortable to shoot as my 375H&H. 375 is a model 70, weights 11+ with scope, mounts etc. 404 is about 9.5, 300 is a Browning stainless stalker[I have given it to a friend] it maybe weighed 8-9 . My age of 80 might be working against me plus bad arthritis in hands.

Being a longtime user of the .338WM, the first time I shot a .375HH, I wasn´t impressed.

In fact I think it is milder on the shoulder.

On the other hand, when we talk about recoil, gun weight and fit are very important.

Congrats and welcome to the real rifle club. My first big bore was a M70 Safari Classic chambered in 458Win. It had a Gentry custom muzzle break. It thumped pretty good but it wasn't too obnoxious. Then I bought a CZ550 375. Compared to the M70 it was very easy to shoot. I've since sold the 458Win and now have a Ruger RSM chambered in 404J. It weighs a little over a pound more than my CZ550 375 but that pound makes a world of difference. I actually prefer shooting my 404J but the difference is minimal.

I also have a couple of 9.3x62 rifles and, frankly, my 375H&H has sort of become redundant. 9.3x62 does everything 375H&H will do on non DG game with a lot less recoil and noise and my 404J is better suited for DG than 375H&H. That said, my CZ550 375H&H isn't going anywhere. I love everything about it.

My 9.3x62mm all up weighs 8.5 lbs and I load the 286 gr. A-Frames to 2,360 fps.
My .375 H&H all up weighs 9.5 lbs and I load the 300 gr. A-Frame to 2,460 fps.
My 400 Jeffrey #1 all up weighs 10.5 lbs and I load the 400 gr. A-Frame to 2,060 fps.

All of these rifles at those weights and MVs are very pleasant to shoot and people are surprised how fun they are to shoot when they first give 'em a try.

OH NO! You are now hooked! You might as well start stocking up on .416 and .458 bullets, as that is the next step.
Back when I was in my late 20’s, I only owned maybe four rifles. My gun shop,was having a sale. They had two Sako rifles, a 7mm mag and a .375. I opted for the .375 just because I dreamed of eventually going to Africa. It took about 30 years but the .375 eventually got there.

OH NO! You are now hooked! You might as well start stocking up on .416 and .458 bullets, as that is the next step.
Back when I was in my late 20’s, I only owned maybe four rifles. My gun shop,was having a sale. They had two Sako rifles, a 7mm mag and a .375. I opted for the .375 just because I dreamed of eventually going to Africa. It took about 30 years but the .375 eventually got there.
Welcome to the King's Court. You have now been had. You now have the perfect all round weapon.
Likewise, my Win 70 Safari Express was my first big bore. Grabbed a box of Federal 270grsp and off to the range. I was a little apprehensive about the first shot. Well, here goes. Deep breath, tight grip, squeeze. Hell, that wasn't as bad as a 12 guage with slugs. Let's try that again. After a dozen rounds my shoulder said "OK, that's it for today." Took it to my smith for a Decelerator and scope. It weighed out at about 11 lb scoped and loaded. Quite pleasant to shoot after that even with 350gr TSXs.

Hall,

That sounds like a solid plan. What cartridge are you shooting? What optics did you put on it? I’ve shot a couple of deer with mine since getting it. I believe I’ll keep deer and pig hunting with it here at home between trips to Africa.
So far I'm liking the 300gr TSX and using a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40.

I shot monkeys at 170 yards, a baboon, warthog, impalas, kudu, zebra, giraffe, lioness, and a buffalo with 300 grain bullets at 2500 fps from a 375 H&H. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

I also used my trusty 458 Win double for another lioness, giraffe, wildebeest, and buffalo.

Same type rifles, with 375 H&H and 300 grain bullets and 416 Remington with 350 grain bullets, shooting standing and alternating rifles; I noticed little to no difference.

I own or have access to premium sporting rifles from .22LR to .500 NE, yet when I go on important hunts (in the US or abroad), I invariably reach for my .375. There is nothing I wouldn't trust it to do, save for stopping dangerous game at short ranges--which it wasn't designed for anyway.

Yes, the .375 can be a gateway to other calibers such as the large bores, and it's fun to own and experiment with bigger cartridges. But the average worldwide sportsman would be hard pressed to find a more versatile number than the .375. It is blessed with a hard punch, good trajectory, relatively mild recoil, easy availability practically anywhere as loaded ammunition or good-quality components, a proven record (and then some) and the allure of a classic. Oh, and it's legal for African dangerous game.

To paraphrase Gregor Woods, why do I use the .375 (H&H in my case)? Because everything I hit with it falls.

I have a Sako 338 Win Mag and Sako 375H&H both weigh a bit over 9lb and a Win 416 Rem Mag Model 70 which weighs 10lb
To me the Sako 338 has the fastest/ harshest felt recoil and can't notice any difference between the 375 and 416 felt recoil.

@Hall - Congratulations and welcome to the mid-bore club. ;)

As much as weight matters, rifle fit is just as critical as caliber goes up. The CZ550 you have sounds like it fits you well and it's a great platform for all manner of calibers. If you happen to see another CZ550 in a larger caliber like 416RIGBY or 458LOTT...jump on it and you will have the same fit on your big bore for your second Africa trip.

Lastly, please inform your "better half" that no one goes to Africa just once. If she goes with you the first time, she will understand and want to go again as well. Plus with two rifles, it will be a ready made His & Her rifle set. :ROFLMAO:

That's how it starts...375H&H is the gateway rifle. Now have a 416REM and a 458Lott. Have looked at 470NE as well as 500NE. Enjoy the ride, you will end up with more than one big bore rifle.
Truth. I bought a Model 70 in 375 H&H and now I have a 458 Lott...Need more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!