Namibia VS RSA

Well, who won? That may help the decision process :)

South Africa cruise past Namibia in Rugby World Cup masterclass
South Africa 87 Namibia 0

Not sure if you can read this or not, but I will try to attach it anyway. It is a photo of an article that my friend in Namibia sent me. It is well put....hope it is clear enough for you all to read....

View attachment 274110

Interesting article, thank you for sharing!

#Arctic97, I’ve read the article and it reflects my feelings and my experience exactly. I’ve been in RSA and Namibia.
When I go hunting, I’m looking for a good hunting experience, reconnect to the nature and the people. I’m not interesant in luxury resorts, expensive drinks and 5 stars cuisine. But this is what RSA is focusing on right now. Some of the outfitters that had rougher hunting caps moved towards spa type of camps, as it seemes that’s what some of the hunters expect. To each his own, but that’s not for me.

Not for me either, I don’t need the spa treatment.

Yes, I am lucky, as when I go, I stay on my friends farm and we go and visit his friends (who have become my friends), thus my hunting is on farms that are not hunting designated. We stay with the families - I have slept in more than one kids bed, and we eat and socialize with the "real" people. This is what makes a great experience. I know when we stop somewhere and the owner starts making a fire that this is the beginning of a 3 hour lunch at the braai, and if you just slow down and enjoy it you are in for a real treat.

That sounds like a great time!

I don’t need luxury......... good people, good food, soft place to sleep, and a bit of adventure is all I require...and even some of those are negotiable :)

Not sure if you can read this or not, but I will try to attach it anyway. It is a photo of an article that my friend in Namibia sent me. It is well put....hope it is clear enough for you all to read....

View attachment 274110

Great article. Thanks. Canned hunts aren't hunts but just killing.

Great article. Thanks. Canned hunts aren't hunts but just killing.

AR167, No they are not, but it is more than even that. The whole breeding for color variations thing kind of puts me off also. And most of the big places cannot run a new group of hunters through their properties for 6 months a year or more and have success rates without supplementing their game stock with bought and released animals. How wild those animals are depends on where and how they were raised, but you can bet they are not as wild as native born critters. I feel that takes some of the luster out of the experience also.

Interesting article, thank you for sharing!

Not for me either, I don’t need the spa treatment.

That sounds like a great time!

I don’t need luxury......... good people, good food, soft place to sleep, and a bit of adventure is all I require...and even some of those are negotiable :)

Not all are like that
There are places that offer good hunting with basic but food accomodation. No spa etc
Good hunting- hot shower- decent bed. These are must haves.

Just ask

Kind regards

Hello MT_Fin
There is some good advice above about both countries.

We are in the fortunate situation that we are situated in South Africa but with all the advantages that Namibia has to offer (large open areas with almost no people in a remote setting)
We are situated on the Botswana border in the Kalahari desert.
One lodge is in a free range area (55 025 acres) and the other lodge is high fenced (18 360 acres)
Pickup point is Johannesburg so no extra flights.
Another advantage is we offer over 40 different species on land that we privately own since 1948.

Namibia is also a very good option.
The same type of people that we find here in the Kalahari.

Either way you cannot go wrong.
Like Shootist43 said above flip a coin and on the next trip you choose the other country.

Good luck with your search.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Namibia will always hold a special place in my heart as it was my first safari. Hunted SA twice and I plan to go back in the future. I ll be back in Namibia in May of this year to hunt again. Cant wait! My vote is do whatever fits your budget and species list. Go with your heart.

Hello sir,

A lot of good advise on here already.... We hunt South Africa and Namibia and we only hunt large areas as it offers a better safari experience. Both countries are excellent destinations and offer hunters excellent experiences. If you do not mind please PM me a list of what you are interested in and I can put together a package for each country and what we have to offer in South Africa and Namibia. Then you can decide which country and package fit your needs for your first safari.

We concentrate on taking high quality trophies where ever we hunt!

Thank you and goof luck with the planning!

All my best,

Jacques

Hello All,
I was hoping you all could share your experiences regarding the pros and cons of hunting Namibia vs RSA etc. I see offers on here for both countries and just trying to narrow my search a bit.

This will be my first safari and I’ll likely bring my oldest son (he will be 11 then) as my buddy has since backed out.

Thanks for any help!
Fin

I think it is two completely different experiences.
Please have a look at my website and feel free to contact me if you are interested in hunting free range.

Regards
Schalk Pienaar

Fin

The Pros and Cons, talking to someone that has extensive experience in hunting in both countries as a Hunter that for the purposes of AH and regarding your questions has vested interest in both South Africa and Namibia here is my twenty cents.

First look which species existed naturally in both countries.

If you are hunting a area that is fenced in Namibia then chances are that you will be hunting South African species that by default needs high fences to keep animals in, in order to protect them, then the question must come up why did you hunt something that is actually an exotic in that country.

I am by no means attacking the fact that those animals were imported via South Africa to create a larger market share for Namibians. The irony is what made Namibia a great hunting destination will be lost by making Namibia the same as South Africa.

Both countries have private land ownership as well as private game ownership if fenced. Both Country's will give you a great camp, lodging, hospitality and hunting experience.

Namibia has species that you can only hunt in Namibia, for example Black Nose Impala (US citizens can't import), Dammara Spring buck, Dammara Dik Dik, Hartmans Zebra, Cheeta (you can't import as US citizen but can legally hunt one) only place in the world I may add.

Namibia offers big open free range concessions where Elephant, Buffalo, Black Rhino, Lion and Leopard roam free and thousands of Gemsbok,Springbuck, Cape Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Red Hartebeest, Giraffe,Large Kudu and a lot more can be hunted and seen.

South Africa is one of the most biodiverse hunting destinations in the Wold, with more that 50 huntable species, Big Five, the Cape Grey buck to the Sharps Grey buck, Blue duiker, Suni Antelope, Oribi, Red Duiker (You can hunt the Tiny ten excluding the Dik dik in South Africa) , Buchbuck Cape and Limpopo, Sable, Roan Antelope, Livingston and Cape Eland, Black Wildebeest, Bleu Wildebeest, Common Springbuck, Nyala, White and Black rhino, Common Reedbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Vaal Rheebuck and many more.

One of the destinations where you can still hunt the small cats, Caracal, Serval, Genet, Civet, African Wild Cat, Badger, Pole cat the list goes on.

You have to talk to outfitters and ask questions to find someone you feel comfortable with, someone you feel you can spend time and camp fires with.

If you find that one you will enjoy your experience and Hunt..... Together.....Forever.....

Welcome, we are a hunting outfitter based in Namibia.
I have sent you a PM (personal message). Please check your inbox.
Lwyk Jansen van Vuuren

I've been to both countries, and much prefer Namibia for the reasons stated in this thread......

Fewer, small fenced areas. They are everywhere in SA, not so in Namibia. Much larger "ranches" in Namibia as a rule.
Sometimes an SA operator will use "fair chase" in describing a hunt that is behind high fenced, small farms.
Way less commercialized in Namibia. SA reminds me of the TX Hill Country hunting 30 years ago.
J'Burg airport sucks...avoid if possible.
Even if you do go to Namibia, avoid Air Namibia like the plague. They suck too.
Kowas Safaris Namibia cannot be topped.

Having hunted both countries multiple times, I can tell you that they are vastly different. They both require different approaches as far as hunting strategy is concerned, and the landscape could not be further from each other.
I do however have to question how people keep making reference to the "small" areas in South Africa and how they paint the entire country with a broad brush. Both countries, unfortunately have these areas, which is why you as a prospective hunter to the continent, have to do your due diligence when researching certain areas. There are still great, very large areas in South Africa, with challenging terrain that are accessible. You just have to ask the right people.

Last edited:
Amen.

Thanks to all the outfitters who have given, what appears to me, as unbiased as could possibly be expected from both sides of the border.
You all fit so well with AH helping us become more informed!

I have only hunted in SA, but in five different provinces, totally different landscape, and I believe you can get a good or bad hunting experience in any country.

It´s not where you hunt, but with who and how you hunt.

So I would say, first choose what you want to hunt, as you cannot find all species everywhere, and then look for a reputable outfitter who will provide you with a great fair chase experience.

Hello All,
I was hoping you all could share your experiences regarding the pros and cons of hunting Namibia vs RSA etc. I see offers on here for both countries and just trying to narrow my search a bit.

This will be my first safari and I’ll likely bring my oldest son (he will be 11 then) as my buddy has since backed out.

Thanks for any help!
Fin

There are more outfitters and more variety of game in RSA. Namibia has big properties so you’ll be less likely to drive from game farm to game farm hunting and they have game native to their country. I love Namibia because it is such a scenic and rural country. You’ll not find many paved roads or cities in Namibia. each has its own flavor but for a first Safari I would take you to Namibia as I am a group in late May.
Regards
Philip

If you have 2 children, how do you choose your favourite? Both kids are great people and have many differences in personality from each other. Yet there are similarities as well.

I have hunted in central Namibia and the Eastern Cape of RSA and really wouldn't want to have to put one above the other. Had fantastic experiences in both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg