First Gun Hunt-South Africa

Buffalo1

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Pope & Young Club; DSC; SCI; MS Bowhunters Assoc
Hunted
Have a friend going on first gun hunt to South Africa in March. What animals would be suggested to hunt in March and any recommendations for outfitters. Friend wants to rent a gun and pay for ammo for this hunt

What's his budget?

What animals is he interested in? A alacart hunt can get real expensive real quick.

For one or two I would say a kudu and a gemsbok. A friend was working over there afew years ago and came home with a zebra where he hired a outfitter, and rifle for 2 days.

He will also have some problem finding one of the better outfitters on this short of a notice. Trips and hunts get canceled and moved all the time but I wouldn't count on it.

Three months lead time??
Interesting.

We would not have thought it at the time, but after our hunt...our favorite trophy is the Zebra on our sitting room floor. A reminder every day of how much we loved that trip.

...and a Kudu. :cool:

Wish I had gone for a Zebra, but it was out of the budget.

Alas, gemsbok, springbok, and warthog were on my first trip. They were quite representative of the Kalahari. The springbok is probably the most representative of all of RSA. My opinion, I would recommend species representative of “where” in RSA he goes.

Have a friend going on first gun hunt to South Africa in March. What animals would be suggested to hunt in March and any recommendations for outfitters. Friend wants to rent a gun and pay for ammo for this hunt
Maybe we should start at the start....

He IS going in March, but has not yet secured an Outfitter????

Or, he WANTS to go in March, and is looking for an outfitter with availability?

Where is he going in South Africa? Hunting Limpopo will be tougher that time of year and he might be best to just take what’s presented rather than an exact predetermined list. If he goes to a more open area Kalahari, Karoo, Free State aside from being hot, visibility won’t have an impact on his hunt/species list. I hunted eastern cape on coast and Karoo in March 2020 and had a great hunt.

Would southern RSA be a possible choice?
My first trip there in Eastern Cape was second half of April. I believe my outfitter began hunting in March. Kudu and nyala were in rut certainly.

Maybe we should start at the start....

He IS going in March, but has not yet secured an Outfitter????

Or, he WANTS to go in March, and is looking for an outfitter with availability?
Next questions, what's his budget and how much time is he thinking.

i would be very happy to help him in March
we have lots of weapons to choose from to rent

i would recommend almost any species in march if he is trophy hunting, if its some females then some would obviously be off limits due to lambs still weaning etc

March will be thick and green but still great hunting

welcome to email , stuart@tallyho.co.za, or dm me no problem at all

looking forward

We would be happy to accommodate him in March. Early season (March - April) is good hunting in the Karoo for any species. We have plenty of quality rifles, our clients use them free of charge, ammo is included.

Welcome to email me directly at

info@karoowildsafaris.co.za

Or send me his contact details and I'll get in touch with him

@Buffalo1,
I would be very happy to accommodate your friend in March and would recommend any trophy animals for an early season hunt

Got a variety of rifles available to use, free of charge!

My email is info@mattanjasafaris.co.za or send me a DM

Sincerely

We would be glad to offer a quote with a list of animals. PM request.

Take your pick.
5CCE7EA8-0D55-45AB-8046-00B80638A892.jpeg
CFBB80E7-6CA7-43E1-BEF6-A9C32EBA0EA3.jpeg
B1F7892A-2802-4CA2-83BC-83836DB0EFE7.jpeg
CA30AD88-4957-4C0F-B81E-4B8BC7C7CA67.jpeg
C06B3AC3-5EB9-49E3-810E-1797ACC74821.jpeg
ADB67A45-E9B8-4915-903D-F3A9F7759216.jpeg
6647F13D-BB51-4F6B-9276-0605138CEABD.jpeg
59E19B42-587C-4DD0-81EF-CD446C605CE6.jpeg
9C3F3105-FCD0-4356-861E-6C7283ECF54C.jpeg
ADB862AF-9ED2-4A08-A374-D777428F821E.jpeg
756E2DDB-ED44-472C-BB90-09ADC630AF44.jpeg
0CD9BA69-C74D-4720-AD18-04F041259B0F.jpeg
5655EC98-9A21-4785-9C9B-8EFDFAD089A6.jpeg

Tell him to rent a .30/06, if he doesn't have a caliber he is very familiar with.

March in the Kalahari will still be hot.
We just start early in the mornings come back to the lodge for a swim, lunch and siesta (with air conditioning in chalets) and go out in the late afternoon again.
The vegetation is Kalahari is more open so that will not be a problem.
Have many rifles to choose from to rent.
My favourite is a 30-06 Dakota rifle that is very accurate (dime size grouping at 100 yards).
It has a silencer and black synthetic stock on and has killed in excess of 2 000 animals.
My staff has nicknamed it the black mamba (because it is silent and super deadly).

For a first time safari I would recommend gemsbuck, springbuck, warthog, impala, blesbuck and if the budget allows for it a kudu and zebra.

Send us an e-mail for a quote.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Thanks, looking, I had some of the same questions. I see mention of elephants, Cape buffalo & such in other threads. I was wondering also, a 1st timer getting their feet wet & bearings figured out. The lessor critters would be fine.

The peripherals matter too, ease of logistics, seamless travel, reasonable accommodations, then side activities. We all have favorite guns, maybe it’s a lot easier to rent one.

Put me down for the crocodile hunt too, I’d like that.

Good day, please feel free to contact us directly and we can draft a proposal and tailor it to your needs. Various rifle options are available and to ensure an optimum experience we can do a mixed bag between trophy and management animals. As already mentioned, March is still warm, however it can be managed. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrimKetoBoostsupplement

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.