First Buffalo Hunt

I think you’ll be shorting yourself if you don’t hunt buffalo that haven’t been chased by lions in their life. I think you also need a new experience. Look outside South Africa. Zimbabwe will give best price and high quality PHs but you’ll work for your buffalo. Mozambique or Zambia will give a great hunt with more plains game but more expensive. Stay with reputable PHs and proven areas. Don’t look for a deal in wild areas or you may leave disappointed.
If you decide to hunt South Africa I’d only hunt self sustaining herds and verify what that means. The definition appears flexible there. Many self sustaining herds are supplemented with young bulls from breeding farms. I’d also ask how long buffalo herd has been established on property. A trophy bull is 8+ and a good trophy is 10-12+ The few hunts in South Africa that would satisfy my requirements cost nearly the same as Zimbabwe around $15k. I wouldn’t want to question the history of the buffalo I took as a trophy.

Fair point. However, I don’t think the difference is that great. A $10k RSA hunt will likely cost $15 all in with travel and taxidermy. In 2019 I hunted Dande with Len Taylor (CMS) for $20k all in.
The price difference becomes smaller as well when you look at trophy fees on plains game. Plains game in Zimbabwe is considerably less expensive than South Africa. Kudu are generally half the cost.

I would suggest Ken Moody if I were focused on buffalo with a rifle. That is his forte'.

Are you wanting a Rowland Ward record book bull? If so, RSA is most likely not where you want to hunt. Very few places there qualify to have Cape Buffalo listed.

Are you wanting a Rowland Ward record book bull? If so, RSA is most likely not where you want to hunt. Very few places there qualify to have Cape Buffalo listed.

I suspect that the Kruger reserves would qualify, Klaserie, Timbavati, etc..

I can only offer advice from my 1 Buffalo hunt in RSA. It’s my favorite hunt that I’ve ever been on. Of the 6 places in RSA I’ve hunted, 5 of them offered buffalo hunts however only @Safari Co. Africa had what I’d consider, a large enough area and herd. Anywhere else I sure I could’ve hunted and killed a buffalo, but I don’t think I’d have gotten to see and experience herds, dagga boys, etc. I echo what’s been said before this about hunts in RSA and make sure they’re on large properties, with big herds and you’re hunting on foot. After talking to multiple people and PH’s I want to try other places and experiences.

Going buffalo hunting has in a way has consumed me. There are still a bunch of other hunts I want to do like elephant, but buffalo definitely has taken hold of me, and is the one hunt I know I’ll do every opportunity I get and then some. With that said, I don’t want to kill a buffalo, I want to hunt a buffalo. For that experience I’m now looking into Zim, Moz, and Zambia. Tanzania is a dream but at this point cost precludes it from being a reality. I can likely do 1 or 2 hunts elsewhere for the cost of a buffalo hunt in TZ.

I personally would say if your budget allows you should look at somewhere like Zim, Moz or Zambia. Once you start looking at the free range reserves in RSA, you’re already at Zim prices. I found myself doing this last year after my 2021 buffalo hunt and decided to spend some time planning something in Zim.

You are welcome to contact us if you would like to consider Namibia for a buffalo hunt. We have different buffalo hunting options, depending on your budget. One of those is in Waterberg Plateau National Park, which has some of the biggest buffalo in Africa, and is one of the most special areas for a buffalo hunt.

You can contact us at info@jamyhunt.com, if you would like more information on what we have to offer.

Thank you.
Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris team

If budget isn’t the biggest issue, the biggest overall buffalo quality I have ever seen was in Botswana in 2021. I was hunting elephant bordering Chobe National Park but also saw a few 40”+ buffalo without even trying. It was incredible! The buffalo quota was sold out so I couldn’t hunt them. PM me if you’re interested in info.

I know this is a highly subjective question, but I am interested in opinions on the best place for a first Buffalo hunt. I have hunted plains game in South Africa (northern cape) on a private reserve, and it was fantastic. I am tempted to go go back there. However, I am also thinking about Zambia and/or Mozambique. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Good morning sir,

I am glad to hear you had a great hunt in our beautiful country previously. I would say the most important part of your decision would be what you will be expecting on your buffalo hunt. There are so many different options and areas with variety of different hunting styles. Do you want to track, spot and stalk, what size of bull you are looking for a old worn off bull or a bull with perfect shape horns.

Each area and country is unique in what it offers in buffalo hunting. If you need any help I will be more than happy to assist at any time.

I do have a 40 000acre area in South Africa close to the Botswana border. Over 200 buffalo in the area that has been breeding there for the last 30 years and the herd is completely self sustainable.

We are only allowed to hunt 6 bulls a year in this area. It is a really tough hunt and I never sell safaris in this area if we do not have at least 8 to 10 hunting days to hunt.

You can see in the quality of bulls that we do take buffalo in the 12 to 14 year old range and some older. These buffalo also have by far the biggest bodies I have hunted in any area in South Africa.

as @375Fox mentioned, there is not a lot of these areas in South Africa.

08e00df5-25c8-4c0c-a166-dbfce8b9b168.JPG
8636e243-ac91-4d9d-8005-292d0f49b97c.jpg
be9a1268-a91f-4552-988b-86a213149c53.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg
IMG_8991.jpg

hi sir
i have sent you a PM
we have a large area, buff are self sustaining in any way shape or form, have been for years
you will walk a lot
anything else feel free to ask

I don't think this country (zimbabwe) is the number one buffalo country. I am also already returned home from Zimbabwe without a buffalo.
Me twice from Zimbabwe without a buffalo.

I know, you reported about it.

In my case it was years ago in the Sikumi Forest. On the other hand, I shot my biggest buffalo during an elephant hunt at the Dete/Gwayi river area. As I wrote above, coincidence and luck also play a role.

Me twice from Zimbabwe without a buffalo.
Where did you hunt sir? I can help you in a area and guarantee you a bull within 10 Days. I will do low daily rates and higher trophy fee to ensure success!

Reactions: WAB
I have hunted a lot of buffalo in my life (as a PH) and also for myself.
The absolute most exhilarating buff hunt is in the Okavango Delta in Botswana.
You sneak up on these buffalo in a makorro (dugout canoe) silently gliding through the water grass till you are very close. Ideal for a double rifle.
I am not sure if there are still some areas of the Okavango that you can still hunt as most of the Okavango is now closed for hunting. There might be some small outlying areas still available for hunting?

If South Africa is your choice to hunt buffalo we can also help you out on our private game reserve in the Kalahari.
Lots of buffalo and everything is self sustaining and breeding healthily.
I guarantee you that you will not see a fence once you enter our game reserve.
Lodge is in the middle of hunting area.
Many times we start hunting on foot from the lodge.
Great tracking hunt on foot with lots of vegetation to get in close to the buffalo.
Pick up and drop off point is Johannesburg.

Feel free to contact us for prices and any other questions you might have.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Good day FDK, welcome to AH. We Please feel free to contact GAME TRACKERS AFRICA ROCKWOOD CONSERVATION re you buffalo Safari. GTARC host safaris on 33000 + acres with various independent buffalo herds exceeding 300 in total.

Have a look into Zambezi Delta safaris, I can highly recommend them, Having shot my first buffalo there last august, its like the garden of eden.

Good Day FDK

Buffalo hunting can be an incredible experience of highs and lows throughout your hunt if you go with the right outfitter.Stalking up close with your hart racing at a thousand miles and then the low when the wind turns and you get busted , making plans for the next stalk and talking about it around the camp fire in anticipation for what tomorrow will bring.Then that feeling you can't describe when you are standing there with this truly amazing animal down with hard work and persistence.

Here are some excellent outfitters on AH that will make it dream hunt .We can help you do that on our own property in Limpopo and on our concession area in Mozambique.

You are most welcome to contact me anytime.

Regards

Rouan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClydeBold4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?