Recommendations for South Africa Handgun Hunt?

Ag111

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this question so decided to put it here.

For those of you who have hunted in South Africa with handguns, do you have any recommendations for an outfitter that caters to Spot/Stalk hunting (Plains Game) with handguns? Seems like a lot of top quality outfitters out there so hard to distinguish those who routinely guide handgunners and those that may only do so occasionally.

No interest in hunting from a blind; not the safari experience I am looking for.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Mat

Mat I have guided several hand gun hunters on walk and stalk hunts over the years, please have a look on the deals page we have several good packages that can be done with a hand gun,

please tell us more about your hunting gear/Handgun?

Is it any more difficult to travel with a handgun vs rifles?

Appreciate the quick responses. 454 Casull w/ 4X scope, 500 JRH w/ 2X scope both 10" barrels, premium bullets. Ideally shots inside of 75 yards. Kudu/Wildebeest/Impala/Warthog/Nyala

Hay Mat
We have hosted some guys from US that hunted buff with me with a handgun amd some others

You are welcome to dm me
Or email Stuart@tallyho.co.za

Looking forward

Wasn't sure where to post this question so decided to put it here.

For those of you who have hunted in South Africa with handguns, do you have any recommendations for an outfitter that caters to Spot/Stalk hunting (Plains Game) with handguns? Seems like a lot of top quality outfitters out there so hard to distinguish those who routinely guide handgunners and those that may only do so occasionally.

No interest in hunting from a blind; not the safari experience I am looking for.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Mat

Mat,

Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS has guided numerous handgun hunters in the past. This included a couple of the t.v. hunting personalities. I was in camp when one of them was guided by Jacques. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding JKO Safaris.

Hello Mat,

Always exciting planning a safari, especially with a hand gun. I have guided both plains game and dangerous game with handgun walk and stalk like we would with a rifle.

As long as your hand gun is a revolver it is the same process travelling as it would be with a rifle.

We only hunt large areas so we can offer you a authentic safari with your hand gun.

If you do not mind, please send me your email in a DM and I can send you the information on our hunting areas.

Good luck and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

All my best,

Jacques Spamer
js@jkosafaris.com

We have also done a few handgun hunts in the past.
With over 6 000 head of game there is plenty of opportunities for walk and stalk.
Vegetation is savannah with some areas of thick bush so lots of cover to get real close.
If our bow hunters can get close enough with walk and stalk we can get a pistol hunter also close enough.
Same paperwork to get a pistol / revolver into the country than a rifle.
So no problems there.
Send me an e-mail and I can work out a package deal for you.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

@Ag111 ... Just my two cents.

On my trip last year I decided I wanted to take a handgun. My PH gave me a thumbs up, and practice was going well. Unfortunately I reached that decision fairly late in the game and was advised by my meet and greet that there wasn't enough time for the paperwork for a handgun to clear - apparently it requires a bit more lead time than a rifle.

Also, I'd think most PHs/outfitters would be able to accommodate what you seek, as long as you realize (and I am sure you do) that you'll likely forfeit a few opportunities because of the distance restrictions, versus a rifle. For example, my two trips were with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS . I have ZERO doubts they could put you in range of some fine animals. And for what it's worth, 6 of the animals from my two hunts were shot at 100 yards or less, and had I needed to get closer I think several more could have been added to that total.

I myself hope to bring a handgun someday - I just acquired a new one I hope to load test with this weekend.

Best of wishes in your searches.

my wife and i have hunted with handguns with Ernest at spear safaris three times.all successful hunts.cape buff,two nyala,lioness,giraffe and more.hes also a great cook.

What type of handguns are you allowed to bring into SA? Only revolvers?

Mat,

Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS has guided numerous handgun hunters in the past. This included a couple of the t.v. hunting personalities. I was in camp when one of them was guided by Jacques. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding JKO Safaris.
thank you for the recommendation!

my wife and i have hunted with handguns with Ernest at spear safaris three times.all successful hunts.cape buff,two nyala,lioness,giraffe and more.hes also a great cook.
Thank you for the recommendation, i will check it out.

@Ag111 ... Just my two cents.

On my trip last year I decided I wanted to take a handgun. My PH gave me a thumbs up, and practice was going well. Unfortunately I reached that decision fairly late in the game and was advised by my meet and greet that there wasn't enough time for the paperwork for a handgun to clear - apparently it requires a bit more lead time than a rifle.

Also, I'd think most PHs/outfitters would be able to accommodate what you seek, as long as you realize (and I am sure you do) that you'll likely forfeit a few opportunities because of the distance restrictions, versus a rifle. For example, my two trips were with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS . I have ZERO doubts they could put you in range of some fine animals. And for what it's worth, 6 of the animals from my two hunts were shot at 100 yards or less, and had I needed to get closer I think several more could have been added to that total.

I myself hope to bring a handgun someday - I just acquired a new one I hope to load test with this weekend.

Best of wishes in your searches.
These are some great insights, thank you for sharing. Quality of the hunt/stalk/shot are more important to me than notching every tag. Would be happy to come home with a couple of animals taken the right way with a great stalk and clean shot. Hope you are able to make the handgun hunt happen in the future.

There are many sponsors on here that I believe can give you exactly what you seek, as far as opportunity.

I am an unabashed fan/supporter of @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS . Wik Coetzee (first hunt/PH/owner) and Don Laaks (PH on my last hunt) were terrific. (Don would be fully justified in wearing a cape) I have zero doubt they could have gotten me in pistol or bow range for many of the species we saw. Mine (then and in the future, if it happens) would be with single shot pistols, so a bit different than yours, but I still think the 75 yards you mentioned is very doable. I forgot to mention that all of my hunting was spot and stalk.

One thought I had a little while ago - and maybe this holds water or maybe it doesn't? - is practice from and take along your own shooting sticks. I used two types with G4A on my two trips. One might have worked for handguns; the other would not have. And maybe they (G4A) have different ones specifically for handguns - I didn't ask. But I recently bought the Bog Pod Wide Body specifically for the few handguns I do have, and I believe I am going to like it a lot. So I think if it were me - and it may be someday in the future - I'd practice from something that worked for me and consider taking it along with me. Again, maybe some outfitters have this covered already, but it's just a thought.

1713467077416.png

Technically you are only allowed one handgun but they don't always consider a single shot shooting a rifle caliber a handgun (go figure). If you have the permit ahead of time they usually just shrug and you pass on.

In 2014 I hunted Eastern Cape using a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull. My PH was Andy Renton of Kei River Hunting Safaris. A great bloke. Andy was a bow hunting, so he knew all about how to stalk in close. I certainly learnt a lot. The handguns need to be of a type designed for hunting, not self defence, in plain terms either a large revolver or a single shot. (fitted with an optic is a bonus) I would definitely advise getting the assistance of a firearm permit service to handle your paperwork and the meet & greet at the airport. Saves a lot of pain.

Make sure you've got your holster/carry system sorted out and have practised shooting from sticks.

Technically you are only allowed one handgun but they don't always consider a single shot shooting a rifle caliber a handgun (go figure). If you have the permit ahead of time they usually just shrug and you pass on.
There is a gentleman on here that took two different big bore revolvers which is what I am planning to do. I’m hoping the rules haven’t changed because I am planning to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Recommend you contact any of the firearm permit services to get the most up to date info. They will know what can actually be done currently, as distinct from what has happened in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double