Hunting equipment starting out as a Professional Hunter

Second on the binoculars.

A solid set of shooting sticks- it doesn’t need to be expensive.

As many books and reading material on animals, plants, birds, and the history of the area where you hunt as you can find.

Packing my personal gear for the hunting season in Tanzania. 15 years as a Professional Hunter in remote areas has hammered home the fact that the right gear is essential for day to day operations as well as emergencies...yes, I am actually an Eagle Scout #beprepared!

@Bullet Safaris Good video. Did I miss some sort of fire starting tool?

A small note book and pencil in your top pocket.......

A 4x4 double cab pickup truck with adjustable seating in the rear!

Nathan's list is obviously spot on for where he is hunting.

PH'ing on a ranch in RSA, is likely to be a little different. :)

Hi Lourens,
Binoculars were you see the detail of everything also in low light. 10x42 with range Finder
The shooting sticks need to be with 3 legs to give a solid rest for your client.
Good set of skinning knifes and carpet knifes to cut the cape.
Good luck
Philip

A great sense of humor, an open ear and a civil tongue and remember that you work for the hunter, not the other way around.

Without that the finest gear in the world will be meaningless.

range Finder
+1, in the close bushveld there is always some long open areas where you just need to know how far off the game really is. Unfortunately most PHes are no better at range estimation than a client. It can be extremely deceiving between an open lane, top of a kopi, open grassland, etc. JMO

Be prepared to learn, a good tracker can teach you a lot more than most...

Attention to do detail, not only while hunting but also to the needs and expectations of your client.

Yes equipment is essential and good quality ones are the best, but concentrate your efforts on doing the best you can to achieving or exceeding the expectations of your client. In order to do that you will need good knowledge of all the fauna and flora in the area you hunt and you will also need some skills in dealing with people from all walks of life.

You will need some basic equipment when you are starting out and can build this up as you go along and gain experience. The three top ones would be an appropriate caliber and completely reliable rifle, good set of binoculars, sturdy shooting sticks.

A good tracker and Skinner(if not supplied by the outfitter).

Always discuss with your client what his expectations are of the hunt and what the priority animals are that he/she is interested in and work to achieve these goals for them. Hunt to the clients ability not yours.

The client might not always be right but he/she always comes first.

You can have the best equipment in the world but if you do not live up and hunt to your clients expectations it can screw up the dynamics of the safari in a very short time.

Good luck to you.

Charlie you sure you don't want a stretched limo.....?....:E Big Grin:

14788018531848735198_large.jpg

That back seat should adjust enough. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross