TANZANIA: Tanzania Buffalo Hunt With Bullet Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by superdutch, Jul 23, 2018.

1. superdutch

superdutch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:
    SA East Cape (‘19) Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
    I recently returned from a hunt with Bullet Safaris in Rungwa, Tanzania. My father and I booked about a year ago - my father comes as an observer to take in Africa. It is our third safari together. We had great hunts twice before, both in Namibia, and we looking forward to seeing a different part of Africa. We flew from Jacksonville, through Atlanta, to Amsterdam, to Arusha, all on Delta/KLM. The flights and all connections went perfectly. We spent a day in Arusha relaxing at the comfortable hotel and visiting an art gallery and market in town.

Mount Meru Tanzani.jpg
    This is Mount Meru which is visible from Arusha, and a normal Arusha street scene.

The next morning we took the 2 hour charter flight out into the bush. It is worth noting that Nathan Askew, the owner of Bullet works hard to make sure that the charter is split between groups- on the way in it was split four ways (there were two other hunters in camp - a father and son from West Texas, and on the way out, it was split eight way (arriving group of 5 and the departing group of 4) resulting in affordable charter costs.

Joe Dad and Crispin.jpg
    This is my father, Ken, Crispin our PH, and me.

Camp was really nice - wall tents, with private bathroom with concrete floor, nice porcelain toilets and shower with hot water available, and the equipment was all in good condition.

Buffalo Camp Tanzania.jpg

These are the tents. They wall tents, with a canvas roof over the tent, that is then thatched to keep it cool. Outside camp we had lions roaring, monkeys chattering and hyena whooping! A leopard stole some meat from the skinning shed and we watched him eat it in a tree outside of camp!

The concession is literally 1000 square miles in size, untouched by man (except for the trail roads) and wild! On the first stalk on the first day of the hunt, we found out how wild it was! We were stalking a group of buffalo that we spotted from the truck a 1/2 mile off. They were in thick grass, entering a area of thick bush. As we closed in on them and could hear them just in front of us, we hear a crash and a young buffalo runs right past us at less than 20 yards - and chasing him is a full maned lion! We hear the lion knock him down and kill the buffalo 30 yards away! Upon the sight of the lion, the game scout (Tanzania requires you to have wildlife officer/anti-poacher with you) racks a round into his AK47! It was quite the stalk!

Later in the day, as the sun went down we caught up with a Lichtenstein hartebeest, that I was able to take after a short stalk.

Tanzania Hartebeest.jpg
    Trackers, Driver, PH and Dad and me.

The next day we got into buffalo in the morning. We worked the edge of the herd until we could get in front. Me must have covered 5 miles. We finally caught up and got a shot at this big fella off the sticks at about 50 yards. The 375 Ruger with A-frame hit him hard - he staggered, almost falling, and I was able to hit him a few more times with the Northfork solids before he was safely down.

First Buffalo Tanzania.jpg

After loading the buffalo (which is a big job) and returning him to camp, we went out again that afternoon. We spotted a dagga boy off by himself in 7 foot elephant grass. We started to stalk into the grass, but quickly realized that we 1) couldn't see anything, and 2) were making a lot of noise, so Crispin, our PH, looks at this small tree and whispers to me "stand on my shoulder and see if you can get a shot". I grab the tree, and with on foot on his shoulder and one foot in the crotch of the small tree, after some adjustment, make a shot at about 60 yards! The buffalo, like the other, staggers and almost falls at the impact, and as he turns broadside, I hit him again with a solid - then he disappears into the grass! Now it gets interesting. We follow his trail with the truck about 100 yards until we come to a ravine. After some discussions in Swahili (that I didn't participate in), and trackers climbing trees to try to see the bull on the other side, we continue on foot. It is pretty intense - visibility is just a few feet. The game scout is to the right with his AK, the trackers are in the middle, following the blood trail/spoor, and I am next to them with the 375 and Crispin is next to me with the 458 Win. We spot a patch of hair up ahead and I shoot it! As we carefully approach, we find a dead buffalo!

Tanzania Bullet Safaris.jpg

This is basically the buffalo I dreamed about since reading Death in the Long grass as a kid!

Over the next week we were able to connect with zebra, orbi, duiker, and baboon.

Zebra pic with crew.jpg
    Zebra. We had to work hard for this one. They were very wary!

Orbi Tanzaia.jpg
    Oribi. That was a fun stalk through the grass! What you can't see it the bullet hole in the neck. Oops! Hopefully the taxidermist can fix!

Duiker Tanzania.jpg
    This is the duiker. Also a fun, short stalk.

This was a great trip. Bullet Safaris is really well run, the concession is huge, wild and full of game, our PH, Crispin was patient and a really good hunter. The camp was comfortable and we were well fed. I would certainly recommend the hunt!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018

2. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
    Great write up, thank you. Awesome buffs.

superdutch likes this.

3. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Thanks for sharing the exciting stalks! It sounds like an excellent place to hunt especially right out of the nice tent camp! Some fine trophies!
    So great you and your dad can go together!

gesch and superdutch like this.

4. Dinsdale

Dinsdale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Enjoyed your report(y)

superdutch likes this.

5. superdutch

superdutch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:
    SA East Cape (‘19) Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
    Thanks for the kind words guys! I am blessed to be able to share these adventures with my father!

Kakulitz likes this.

6. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    Congrats! Looks like a great time

superdutch likes this.

7. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Nice write up. I enjoyed your telling about your hunt. Nice buffalo. Congrats on them. Looks like a nice camp and you did well. Congrats
    Bruce

superdutch likes this.

8. Hunter101

Hunter101 AH Veteran

Member of:
    RMEF,MDF
    Hunted:
    Nambia, South africa, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Pennsylvania, British Columbia, KY,IL, Oklahoma
    Great Buffalo! I hope someday to try and take one with a BOW

superdutch likes this.

9. ddog

ddog New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Gosh, those are super buffalo. In what area were you hunting?

Congrats on a great hunt!

superdutch likes this.

10. superdutch

superdutch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:
    I hunted the Rungwa concession in Tanzania. It is in central-western Tanzania. Ruaha National Park is nearby.

11. ddog

ddog New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Superdutch:

Gotcha on the Rungwa part- were you in Rungwa Game Reserve or Rungwa River GCA?

12. superdutch

superdutch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:

We were in Rungwa Game Reserve!

13. ddog

ddog New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    SD:

Many thanks and congrats again on a great safari.

14. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    A great adventure.
    What a way to take a Buffalo; standing on a PH's shoulders. Damn!

Thanks for sharing the tale. Congratulations.

superdutch likes this.

15. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Congratulations on a great hunt.

Good looking animals.

superdutch likes this.

16. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
    Congrats on two awesome buff!

superdutch likes this.

17. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the post! Thanks!!

superdutch likes this.

18. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Great report and it sounds like Nathan's crew at @Bullet Safaris delivered another great adventure. I can visualize what it must have looked like with you standing on the PH's shoulder and tree, but I hope somebody took a photo of this scene so you can relive the moment, over and over again.

superdutch likes this.

19. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Great hunt and a very nice buffalo. Gotta love that Ruger 375. My gun of choice on my hunt and I used the same ammo combo you did. A frames are devastating. Congrats to all.

375 Ruger Fan likes this.

20. superdutch

superdutch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:
    My father got a video of me climbing down from the tree - he didn't get his phone out in time for the shot. Somehow, on that whole trip, the only full video he ended up with was of me missing a duiker at 20 yards - the duiker video is funny - it captured my confused expression of the "dead" duiker running away unscathed!

We did go back to the tree on the last day of the hunt and I took a video of the PH explaining how the shot went down that turned out really nice.