First Hunt, Buffalo and Plains game

Joseph 61

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can offer some tips or suggestions for a first time Africa hunt. I’m looking to hunt plains game and a Cape buffalo. I wanted to know what country or countries would be good options to look at for a first time hunt for these animals. Or if anyone has any tips on which threads or websites to gain more information about planning a first time hunt. Any good guide recommendations are appreciated. Any other tips or suggestions for a first timer welcome.
Thank you!

If you can be in Dallas in January for the Dallas Safari Club Convention, you will be able to interview many African outfitters in person. In most cases you will be speaking with the PH you will hunt with. I recommend you do this to get comfortable with the folks who will manage your hunt. When I was planning a buffalo/plains game hunt in 2018, I did just that--spoke with about a dozen outfitters and ended up booking with Eric Visser at Quagga Safaris in South Africa. I have been back to hunt with Quagga 4 times and I recommend them to anyone planning a plains game/buffalo hunt. However, do your own research and talk to several outfitters. Good luck.

Hello Joseph,

Welcome to the site and here you will learn a lot about planning and doing your safari. I would like to meet with you in Dallas and discuss the safari you are planning sir. My at the Dallas Safari Club Convention is booth#1030.

We offer buffalo / plains game packages in several different countries. Each country has its own pro's and con's. I would love to discuss all the options with you and get you some information on what we offer.

Enjoy the research and I am looking forward to hear from you sir.

All my best,

Jacques

Hi sir

I would be happy to help
You out
We operate in south africa. Far northern part of limpopo province
We have abig area with good wild wily buff and good amounts of plains game
Drop me an email or a dm amd we can talk further
Regards

Stuart@tallyho.co.za

You need to decide if you want to hunt a free range buffalo or one in a fenced game ranch. That should drive all your other decisions. Both offer advantages and disadvantages. I would urge you to use the search function on this site. You will find a host of hunting reports replicating exactly what you want to do in a lot of different areas with different outfitters and PHs.

A couple of mine representing both free range and ranch hunting opportunities.

The site is also blessed with a number of great sponsors. Enter into a dialogue with them here or at one of the major conventions. Here they are only a few key strokes away.

I just returned from my first safari in Africa. It was a combination dangerous game/plains game hunt. So I was in a similar position to you about 2 years ago starting from scratch and planning a trip. My suggestion first would be to establish a budget for what you want to spend. From there you can start narrowing things down.

Good Day Joseph

Try to figure out all the ins and outs for a first African hunt can be daunting,On AH you will find excellent info from people that have been there and done it.You will also find top quality outfitters that will give you a memorable experience.

Tsala hunting safaris would like to invite you to consider our operation for your first time.We offer a top quality buffalo and plains hunting experience on our own property.We also have concessions in other areas in South Africa and Mozambique for you to consider.

We will be in the US in Jan and Feb and will also be exhibiting at SCI in Nashville and Western Hunting Expo in Salt Lake City and love to meet up with you.

You are most welcome to contact me for any info.

Regards

Rouan

You are in the right place for tons of information and going to DSC in January would be ideal. I agree with the comments about establishing a budget, and also about how many days you can be on safari timewise. If you have any firm ideas about when you want to do this (e.g. must be in 2024, etc) that would be good to pin down. What you want is very doable but I would start narrowing down the parameters of budget, days you have, any touring in addition to safari and any must have animals besides your buffalo, along with any free range vs. fenced stipulations, if any. Enjoy the planning process as it can be fun in my opinion.

Hi @Joseph 61,

I would be happy to help plan your first Safari!
I've send you a PM

Cheers
Dieter

If you can be in Dallas in January for the Dallas Safari Club Convention, you will be able to interview many African outfitters in person. In most cases you will be speaking with the PH you will hunt with. I recommend you do this to get comfortable with the folks who will manage your hunt. When I was planning a buffalo/plains game hunt in 2018, I did just that--spoke with about a dozen outfitters and ended up booking with Eric Visser at Quagga Safaris in South Africa. I have been back to hunt with Quagga 4 times and I recommend them to anyone planning a plains game/buffalo hunt. However, do your own research and talk to several outfitters. Good luck.
I can second this. We went with Erik and Quagga back in June 2022 and we are going back in June 2024. I did the exact hunt that you're looking for (i.e., buffalo and various plains games) and had a blast Quagga will be at DSC and are worth meeting with (if you're there).

DSC is an excellent opportunity to talk with a lot of African outfitters and see who you are comfortable with. There's a lot of excellent outfitters out there and a good number of them are at DSC. Once you get Africa in your blood, you'll want to go back!

Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the site. You will find a lot of information chatting to the guys and gals here. If you can’t find the information here then the DSC show in January would be a great place to meet outfitters to go over the country, areas and specific plains game that you are looking for.

I think the two main criteria that you should consider is Country and Budget! There is wide range between the two….

If you would like any more info or if you are planning a trip to DSC 2024, my booth number is 1238.

Enjoy the planning over the next couple of months.

Cheers

Dave

Hello & Welcome @Joseph 61 !

You have actually already found the single best resource for planning a first safari here on the AH.com site! There are a lot of knowledgeable, experienced folks on here eager to provide advice and recommendations. There are also some of the most reputable and well-established outfitters in Africa represented here as sponsors of the site all willing to assist in your planning. Enjoy the planning and research which is usually half the fun!

And so the fun begins, planning and researching the adventure can be as enjoyable as the actual trip.
A few suggestions.
Determine your budget,

dip and pack

don't forget any add on animals,

pre or post hunt excursions,

souvenirs,

additional lodging,

firearms insurance and agency to assist in travelling with them

tipping the PH and staff

keep in mind the future expense of shipping and whatever taxidermy there might be, At home or in Africa. My experience is that the artisans at home do a better job but just my opinion.

I've never been to DSC but SCI can be overwhelming. I think that they are both excellent shows but I would also take in some smaller shows where you may get a more intimate engagement with the Safari providers. Get to know who you are dealing with.

Are you planning on hunting alone or with a friend or do you care if the area will have another group hunting at the same time?

Ask them lots of questions. There are no dumb questions.

Just my humble opinion.

Enjoy

................... if anyone has any tips on which threads or websites to gain more information about planning a first time hunt. ................

I'm not really sure about a website that has good information about planning a hunt in Africa. If I come across one I'll let you know.

Hello Joseph 61
We can certainly help you out with buffalo and plains game.
We will be at Dallas Safari Club Convention (Booth 3247) as well as SCI Convention in Nashville (Booth 1654) if you want to meet us in person and discuss different options.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Speaking personally, you could not go wrong with DeKlerk. Huge property, lots of game, excellent food and accommodations and the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

My first hunt in Africa was a free area and I wouldn’t change that decision for anything. Like mentioned there are positives to hunting a free area, and a fenced ranch, so do your homework and ask lots of questions. Don’t get hung up on the first outfit that sounds good, they will all sound amazing when you are searching the first time around.

Here’s my recent hunt in Zimbabwe
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...rst-hunting-report-dalton-york-safaris.78037/

Thank you all for the excellent tips, recommendations and offers! Very excited!

Good day, welcome to AH. You are in the right space to search for a Safari that will meet and exceed your expectations. Game Trackers Africa (GTA) is a long standing Outfitting operation facilitating predominantly free-ranging safaris in Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, Cameroon. Our South African Operation (Game Trackers Africa Rockwood Conservation) is based in the Northern Cape Province, hosting clients on a 33000 plus acre property with more than 22 species to hunt (including large herds of Rhino and Buffalo) . Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information or just general questions/ information. Continue to fire your dreams - best of luck and have a good day.

https://www.gametrackersafrica.com/home/

Hunting reports on AfricaHunting.com for Game Trackers Africa:
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-three-generations-hunt-the-selous.45182/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...me-trackers-africa-in-the-eastern-cape.39710/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-great-adventure-with-game-trackers-africa.40875/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...rk-continent-with-game-trackers-africa.40876/

Reactions: AES

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Al Gamecock

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you