An Old Friend Gone Too Soon

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
As I sit here today with a fresh sense of loss on my mind, the best I can do is try to think of the good times we had. And the good memories we made.
Yesterday, I lost a great friend. A constant friend. A good and bad times friend. A friend that has been here for me for most of my life. His leaving will mean nothing will ever quite be the same again. No more long conversations about hunting...guns....or just life in general. And no more good natured arguments about politics either.
No more yelling through his bedroom window "come on out and let's sit on the porch! It's too nice outside to be inside".

Gary was the kind of friend that a lot of people never get to have. I consider myself lucky for knowing him. Even though he was much older than I am, we always just somehow got each other. We could not see each other for months, and when I'd show up, it was like I never had been gone. And I know most of his other friends felt the same way. He would give you the shirt off his back even if it meant he didn't have one to wear himself. Just a plain good man.

I can see him now, sitting on the front porch whittling on an old gun stock or knife handle that he had finished and refinished at least 5 times before. There was always some little imperfection that he thought needed a little improving on. I just hope he knew how much all of those little things meant to me and many more of his friends and family. He was the true meaning of a character. God broke the mold after he made him. I have no doubt.

So Gary.....if somehow you can see or read this, I will miss you old buddy. Along with all your friends and family.

Until we meet again. Rest easy my friend.

20201224_160247.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A touching tribute to a great friend! Prayers for his family and for you..

Friends like this are never really gone Toby....they live on in your memories.

Very hard to lose a good friend, they are a treasure. You will certainly keep his memory alive as long as you live.

Remember the good times, celebrate his life and your friendship!

Sorry for your loss. Your times with Gary will always be with you.

My condolences on your loss, but they can't take your memories. They're yours until the end of time.

Man Toby I'm so sorry for your loss, that is tough one. Always cherish the great memories you had with him, no one can take that away from you.

My condolences, that was a nice tribute, I feel your sense of loss— I know it well, it is hard to express, true friends are cherished.

Toby, I hurt with you and feel for you. I lost my lifelong hunting partner two years ago. The memories of the good times we had still live on.

God needed him beside more than you. My prayers for you and your friend GARY.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Getting older, and having older friends is starting to creep up on us all. When you're young, you think everyone is gonna live forever. But it's times like these that wake you up to the fact that you'd better enjoy your friends now, while you still have them.

As I sit here today with a fresh sense of loss on my mind, the best I can do is try to think of the good times we had. And the good memories we made.
Yesterday, I lost a great friend. A constant friend. A good and bad times friend. A friend that has been here for me for most of my life. His leaving will mean nothing will ever quite be the same again. No more long conversations about hunting...guns....or just life in general. And no more good natured arguments about politics either.
No more yelling through his bedroom window "come on out and let's sit on the porch! It's too nice outside to be inside".

Gary was the kind of friend that a lot of people never get to have. I consider myself lucky for knowing him. Even though he was much older than I am, we always just somehow got each other. We could not see each other for months, and when I'd show up, it was like I never had been gone. And I know most of his other friends felt the same way. He would give you the shirt off his back even if it meant he didn't have one to wear himself. Just a plain good man.

I can see him now, sitting on the front porch whittling on an old gun stock or knife handle that he had finished and refinished at least 5 times before. There was always some little imperfection that he thought needed a little improving on. I just hope he knew how much all of those little things meant to me and many more of his friends and family. He was the true meaning of a character. God broke the mold after he made him. I have no doubt.

So Gary.....if somehow you can see or read this, I will miss you old buddy. Along with all your friends and family.

Until we meet again. Rest easy my friend.
So sorry for your loss! A very touching tribute!

Sorry for your loss Toby. As we get older, we seem to understand more and more how precious friends and family are.
Wishing you strength during this difficult time.

Very sad to lose a good friend Toby, but be glad that both of you have enjoyed such a good friendship.

My condolences to you and his family as well.

I will raise a glass tonight, and tap the table once in his honor.
May your friend rest in peace.

Well said.

My condolences sir.

Just celebrate the good times having him as a friend.
Sadly as we age this happens more frequently. The worst is losing a child you shouldn’t have outlived. You never really get over it.
We all need to have good friends such as yours in the short time we are here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg