Finally got a Highland Stalker!

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
About 12 months ago I was very close to having a Rigby Highland Stalker Chambered in 9.3X62 in my hands but the deal fell through at the last minute (long story). I then managed to get my hands on a Ruger African in 9.3X62 and since then have absolutely fallen in love with the cartridge, I can definitely say the 9.3X62 is now one of my all time favourites.

Finally today I not only managed to get a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3X62 but I got it at older pricing, I'm sure many of you are aware the price of Rigby rifles has just gone up quite significantly, I believe the new pricing is officially effective as of May. In the price rise atleast one model has jumped nearly 20% here in Australia and yes it is a price rise and not because of exchange rates.

All though I still have to wait for some of our fantastic Australian gun law paperwork to be processed, I should have the rifle in about 3-4 weeks. Which should give me just enough time to spend some time on the range with it and work up a few loads for it before I take it on a big game hunt in late June. I'm hoping it shoots the 320 grain Woodleighs as well as my Ruger African does.

Next decision is a scope, I only want a low power 1-4 scope on it as the intention is to use it for big game at short ranges, just not sure what scope to go with. I have a spare Leupold Freedom 1-4 I can put on it but seeing its a Rigby I thought I might top it off with something a bit nicer, any recommendations?

A few photos below but they are not the best quality, I'll be sure to post some better photos as soon as it arrives.

1682068792424.jpeg

1682068877288.jpeg

1682068911962.jpeg

1682068936720.jpeg

1682068959849.jpeg

Congratulations!!! Let us know how it shoots.

A nice Swaro Z6 would fit the bill nicely.

Outstanding. My HS in 9.3x62 is an absolute tack driver. I hope you find yours to be the same! Mine has worn a few scopes; Z8i 1-8x24, VX6i 1-6x24 and Z6 1.7-10x42. I believe that I have settled on the Z6 1.7-10x42 in EAW pivot mounts. I use mine for some longer shots at low light so it is a good pairing. For your application I may lean toward the Z8i 1-8x24. With that scope go with the EAW pivot mounts. You will find Talley low mounts too low for the bolt handle to clear the eye piece (they will work with the smaller eye piece on the VX6).

Definitely stick with QD mounts. The iron sights are outstanding on the HS.

Outstanding. My HS in 9.3x62 is an absolute tack driver. I hope you find yours to be the same! Mine has worn a few scopes; Z8i 1-8x24, VX6i 1-6x24 and Z6 1.7-10x42. I believe that I have settled on the Z6 1.7-10x42 in EAW pivot mounts. I use mine for some longer shots at low light so it is a good pairing. For your application I may lean toward the Z8i 1-8x24. With that scope go with the EAW pivot mounts. You will find Talley low mounts too low for the bolt handle to clear the eye piece (they will work with the smaller eye piece on the VX6).

Definitely stick with QD mounts. The iron sights are outstanding on the HS.
The dealer said he will send me a set of hexalock mounts, same as the Mauser ones I believe, I haven't looked into them yet. He said they are medium height and should suit nearly all low powered scopes. Do you know these mounts?

About 12 months ago I was very close to having a Rigby Highland Stalker Chambered in 9.3X62 in my hands but the deal fell through at the last minute (long story). I then managed to get my hands on a Ruger African in 9.3X62 and since then have absolutely fallen in love with the cartridge, I can definitely say the 9.3X62 is now one of my all time favourites.

Finally today I not only managed to get a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3X62 but I got it at older pricing, I'm sure many of you are aware the price of Rigby rifles has just gone up quite significantly, I believe the new pricing is officially effective as of May. In the price rise atleast one model has jumped nearly 20% here in Australia and yes it is a price rise and not because of exchange rates.

All though I still have to wait for some of our fantastic Australian gun law paperwork to be processed, I should have the rifle in about 3-4 weeks. Which should give me just enough time to spend some time on the range with it and work up a few loads for it before I take it on a big game hunt in late June. I'm hoping it shoots the 320 grain Woodleighs as well as my Ruger African does.

Next decision is a scope, I only want a low power 1-4 scope on it as the intention is to use it for big game at short ranges, just not sure what scope to go with. I have a spare Leupold Freedom 1-4 I can put on it but seeing its a Rigby I thought I might top it off with something a bit nicer, any recommendations?

A few photos below but they are not the best quality, I'll be sure to post some better photos as soon as it arrives.

View attachment 529649
View attachment 529650
View attachment 529651
View attachment 529652
View attachment 529653
Congratulations!!! Beautiful gun! I have Swarovskis on all my rifles. I have used just about everything and finally settled on them

The dealer said he will send me a set of hexalock mounts, same as the Mauser ones I believe, I haven't looked into them yet. He said they are medium height and should suit nearly all low powered scopes. Do you know these mounts?

I only know them by reputation. I can’t speak to clearances with them.

By the way, the wood on your rifle may be the best piece of wood I have seen on a Highland Stalker.

I only know them by reputation. I can’t speak to clearances with them.
ok no worries thanks, I just had a quick look at them online I think I remember them from the last time I was looking at Highland Stalkers, they look like they sit pretty low, should work well with a low power scope

By the way, the wood on your rifle may be the best piece of wood I have seen on a Highland Stalker.
Oh Really!? I actually thought it was quite subtle but that's the reason I liked it, I don't usually go for the real fancy pieces of wood even though the fancy stuff is amazing to look at it. I had 3 to choose from and this is the one I landed on. The other 2 were lighter colours, I liked the darker wood on this one, I think it matches my 450 Big Game

Beautiful rifle. I love my .275.

Beautiful rifle, congratulations

Awesome their standard being a grade 5 as you know

Beautiful rifle! I love my Rigby Big Game and was looking at a HS at Gordy & Sons in Houston a few weeks ago. Haven't decided to "pull the trigger" on that one yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg