1st Cape Buffalo Hunt South Africa recommendations

Hello,

I am looking for some contacts in order to research a Cape buffalo Hunt in South Africa , I have hunted most or all of the Plains game in South Africa on 8 different trips throughout the Eastern cape mostly on very large properties with varied terrain and lots of bush. I am not considering areas that are within the Malaria zones, I have tried taking 3 different Malaria preventatives in the past while in several countries and each time they made me so nauseous and motion sick it ruined my trip, as it is I battle motion sickness while flying or driving. I feel comfortable in South Africa and know what to expect.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A large property +10,000 acres would be the very minimum the larger the property better and yes I know they will be fenced, with a mix of some open areas and bush, I dislike hunting in large open areas with no cover. Higher areas of elevation for glassing is also prefered.
  2. Must have a sized breeding herd of buffalo with several bulls to chose from.
  3. Budget is 10000-15000 USD all in for 7-10 days of which 2 days with be arrival and departure
  4. What I am looking for is an old grey battled scarred Buffalo with wide hard boss just past their prime with a good curl/drop/spread, if the tips are worn or slightly broken off that is fine. 40 inches range.
  5. Spot and stalk only I have zero interest in spending all my time banging around in a Hilux or Cruiser. I am fit and capable of walking miles if needed.
  6. I need to rent a quality rifle 375 H&H with quality ammo from the outfitter and would need to spend time at the range to be confident before going out. I will not travel from my location with a rifle again after the last trip and the hassle I went through.
  7. Trip Would take place in Either Mid October of this Year or Mid April-End of April 2025
  8. It would be preferred if the Outfitter/PH is the owner if the property and its a smaller outfit- one group at a time.
  9. I will consider other provinces but if and only if they are not swamp/wet/malaria areas and meet the about criteria.
  10. A PH who is prepared to work hard to succeed and carefully and properly judge the animals based on experience as opposed to shooting the first animal or a younger animal that should be left to breed and spread its genes
  11. I have no interest in taxidermy.
Please feel for to PM me whether you are an outfitter or another hunter with size of property and response to my points

Thanks very much in advance

Bradley
TSALA without question in my mind! I took a hard hunted 43 3/8 inch buff. I got him on the 5th day of a 7 day hunt after walking my ass off over the Waterberg mountains. I am going back to hunt with them again for my leopard in 25 and another buff in 26. The family is simply unbeatable! The food and accomidations are wonderful. TSALA means a place of friends. Their slogan which is so true is you arrive as a stranger but leave as a friend. I give them my highest recommendation!!! @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS

:S Welcome: and good luck, plenty of choices.

I went back and re-read the OP and noticed that. Probably rule out some of the Kruger adjacent properties as well.

Yep, that’s why I didn’t suggest Klaserie or Timbavati.

Hello,

I am looking for some contacts in order to research a Cape buffalo Hunt in South Africa , I have hunted most or all of the Plains game in South Africa on 8 different trips throughout the Eastern cape mostly on very large properties with varied terrain and lots of bush. I am not considering areas that are within the Malaria zones, I have tried taking 3 different Malaria preventatives in the past while in several countries and each time they made me so nauseous and motion sick it ruined my trip, as it is I battle motion sickness while flying or driving. I feel comfortable in South Africa and know what to expect.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A large property +10,000 acres would be the very minimum the larger the property better and yes I know they will be fenced, with a mix of some open areas and bush, I dislike hunting in large open areas with no cover. Higher areas of elevation for glassing is also prefered.
  2. Must have a sized breeding herd of buffalo with several bulls to chose from.
  3. Budget is 10000-15000 USD all in for 7-10 days of which 2 days with be arrival and departure
  4. What I am looking for is an old grey battled scarred Buffalo with wide hard boss just past their prime with a good curl/drop/spread, if the tips are worn or slightly broken off that is fine. 40 inches range.
  5. Spot and stalk only I have zero interest in spending all my time banging around in a Hilux or Cruiser. I am fit and capable of walking miles if needed.
  6. I need to rent a quality rifle 375 H&H with quality ammo from the outfitter and would need to spend time at the range to be confident before going out. I will not travel from my location with a rifle again after the last trip and the hassle I went through.
  7. Trip Would take place in Either Mid October of this Year or Mid April-End of April 2025
  8. It would be preferred if the Outfitter/PH is the owner if the property and its a smaller outfit- one group at a time.
  9. I will consider other provinces but if and only if they are not swamp/wet/malaria areas and meet the about criteria.
  10. A PH who is prepared to work hard to succeed and carefully and properly judge the animals based on experience as opposed to shooting the first animal or a younger animal that should be left to breed and spread its genes
  11. I have no interest in taxidermy.
Please feel for to PM me whether you are an outfitter or another hunter with size of property and response to my points

Thanks very much in advance

Bradley
I hunted my Buff with Ken Moody Safaris. I’d absolutely give them my highest recommendation.

fea2ebe6-be9b-4c1b-971a-6bb9557ea062.jpeg
c3928340-e8c2-457d-83ac-1ee5eeea5aa5.jpeg
44168458-824f-4d0b-bbca-4b96a60382e5.jpeg
0189cbd2-48f0-4bb4-b228-45f8b2630e83.jpeg
IMG_1899.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunted with Africa Maximum Safaris this past August and the 4 of us in camp hunting Buffalo all took very nice buffs.
Below is a photo of mine. Huge bosses and with only 2 teeth left in his mouth they estimated he was 14 years old.
View attachment 607460
Love seeing this. Taking family to hunt with them next summer including buffalo. Handsome ol’ gent right there.

The bulls I saw at Game 4 Africa were some quality bulls as well!
I hunted with Game4Africa last month. Sako rifle, 1-6x24 Swarovski scope, 300gr Barnes TSX loaded ammunition provided. It was a great trip with a very good professional owner, PH.
I dont think you could go wrong booking with them.

Having lived in Zimbabwe that’s where all my experience lies. I have to say all the great South African outfitters on here are a great opportunity.You have set the stage for a great hunt.I love the planning stages of any hunt. The guys on here will ensure you have the hunt of a lifetime. Enjoy the journey!
Good Luck!!!

Bradley, Francois Dorfling here, owner and head PH at Umlilo Safaris, I will DM you later today, just heading out hunting now.... My offer to you will tick all your boxes 100%! and I will reply as per your instructions/criteria!

Take a look at @DE KLERK SAFARIS also they have a good herd of buffalo on their private property is definetely over 10 000 acres I think they recently added to their property.
It will work your calf muscles in that Kalahari sands.

Fabulous hosts and a new area you have not been too plus big time Malaria free in the dessert.

They also have a nice range of rifles on hand to rent.

That would bend his malaria free criteria…

He’s got a list! You better have his favorite scope too.

Cheers.
I actually asked about this on their thread and was told that malaria medicine is not necessarily needed in their area in Mozambique.

Welcome to AH.
No matter which outfit you'll choose I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Let me add couple points:
Both mid October and specially April are not ideal times as far as weather and can be wet and risk of malaria increases even in areas considered low risk.
None of the buffalo herds in South Africa are completely self sustaining except in very few national parks. Periodically cows are brought in to keep the blood lines varied and disease free.
If you dislike hunting open areas with no cover your options will be mostly in Limpopo area.
Good Luck.

I actually asked about this on their thread and was told that malaria medicine is not necessarily needed in their area in Mozambique.
I would definitely look into some meds if you jump on it

Welcome to AH.
No matter which outfit you'll choose I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Let me add couple points:
Both mid October and specially April are not ideal times as far as weather and can be wet and risk of malaria increases even in areas considered low risk.
None of the buffalo herds in South Africa are completely self sustaining except in very few national parks. Periodically cows are brought in to keep the blood lines varied and disease free.
If you dislike hunting open areas with no cover your options will be mostly in Limpopo area.
Good Luck.
thanks for your input

Would recommend looking at what Intrepid Safaris offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Brad2008
I am so glad you posted your request so that I can tell you and other hunters who are also interested in buffalo about us.
Most hunters here on this site associate us with lion hunting and that is fine also but few of the hunters know that we are also an excellent place for buffalo.

I will reply to your questions in the same order as what you asked them for clarity.
1. We do have a very large hunting area. We bought out 4 neighbouring ranches by end of 2023 so are in the process to add these also to our game reserve. We have already started fencing the additional ranches and breaking down the internal cattle fences. We plan to incorporate these extra ranches by the end of the year (2024). That will add another 12 699 acres to our current 73 385 acres for a total of 86 084 acres. That is what hunting do for conservation - converting cattle ranches (with little game on it) to hunting game reserves filled with game.
2. Our buffalo breeding herd numbers between 150 and 160 at the moment.
We have about 40 to 50 calves every year so numbers will reach 200 buffalo before 2025.
There are about 30 hard bossed hunt-able bulls. Some are in the herds with the cows and some form bachelor herds.
3. Budget between $10 K and $15 K is no problem. Will get a nice old bull in that price range.
4. Old bulls are what we prefer to take off.
5. Hunting buffalo on foot is the only way we hunt buffalo. We track them on foot and the Kalahari sands making tracking easy for our expert trackers. You can actually start hunting on foot from our lodge as the lodge is situated in the middle of the hunting area. So no long drives to get to the hunting area. You are already in the middle of it!!
6. I have a Winchester Model 70 (with claw extractor) 375 H&H for rent. Rifle has a Swarovski 1 - 6 x 40 telescope with quick detachable mountings. I also have a 416 Rigby built by Heym (Swarovski Z6 scope) for rent. Also a double rifle 470 by Heym (RMR red dot) if you wish to hunt the buffalo with a double. We have a shooting range at the lodge so you can practise for as long as it takes till you are comfortable with our rifles. We use Barnes Triple Shock bullets on our buffalo hunts.
7. Open dates in the time frame you requested are : October 6 to 23, 2024 and April 1 to 24, 2025.
8. I am the owner of these properties. We are a small private outfit that only book one group at a time.
9. We are located north of Vryburg Northwest province SA on the Botswana border in the eastern part (higher rainfall) of the Kalahari desert. We have absolutely no malaria in our area. Vegetation is open savannah with some areas of thick bush.
10. We have excellent PH's that are very patient and will take their time in getting you what you want.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlairHanse

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.