1st Cape Buffalo Hunt South Africa recommendations

brad2008

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some contacts in order to research a Cape buffalo Hunt in South Africa , I have hunted most or all of the Plains game in South Africa on 8 different trips throughout the Eastern cape mostly on very large properties with varied terrain and lots of bush. I am not considering areas that are within the Malaria zones, I have tried taking 3 different Malaria preventatives in the past while in several countries and each time they made me so nauseous and motion sick it ruined my trip, as it is I battle motion sickness while flying or driving. I feel comfortable in South Africa and know what to expect.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A large property +10,000 acres would be the very minimum the larger the property better and yes I know they will be fenced, with a mix of some open areas and bush, I dislike hunting in large open areas with no cover. Higher areas of elevation for glassing is also prefered.
  2. Must have a sized breeding herd of buffalo with several bulls to chose from.
  3. Budget is 10000-15000 USD all in for 7-10 days of which 2 days with be arrival and departure
  4. What I am looking for is an old grey battled scarred Buffalo with wide hard boss just past their prime with a good curl/drop/spread, if the tips are worn or slightly broken off that is fine. 40 inches range.
  5. Spot and stalk only I have zero interest in spending all my time banging around in a Hilux or Cruiser. I am fit and capable of walking miles if needed.
  6. I need to rent a quality rifle 375 H&H with quality ammo from the outfitter and would need to spend time at the range to be confident before going out. I will not travel from my location with a rifle again after the last trip and the hassle I went through.
  7. Trip Would take place in Either Mid October of this Year or Mid April-End of April 2025
  8. It would be preferred if the Outfitter/PH is the owner if the property and its a smaller outfit- one group at a time.
  9. I will consider other provinces but if and only if they are not swamp/wet/malaria areas and meet the about criteria.
  10. A PH who is prepared to work hard to succeed and carefully and properly judge the animals based on experience as opposed to shooting the first animal or a younger animal that should be left to breed and spread its genes
  11. I have no interest in taxidermy.
Please feel for to PM me whether you are an outfitter or another hunter with size of property and response to my points

Thanks very much in advance

Bradley

While I don't believe they advertise here, Hunters Hill Safaris is about 55K contiguous acres located a bit northwest of East London.

Hello,

I am looking for some contacts in order to research a Cape buffalo Hunt in South Africa , I have hunted most or all of the Plains game in South Africa on 8 different trips throughout the Eastern cape mostly on very large properties with varied terrain and lots of bush. I am not considering areas that are within the Malaria zones, I have tried taking 3 different Malaria preventatives in the past while in several countries and each time they made me so nauseous and motion sick it ruined my trip, as it is I battle motion sickness while flying or driving. I feel comfortable in South Africa and know what to expect.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A large property +10,000 acres would be the very minimum the larger the property better and yes I know they will be fenced, with a mix of some open areas and bush, I dislike hunting in large open areas with no cover. Higher areas of elevation for glassing is also prefered.
  2. Must have a sized breeding herd of buffalo with several bulls to chose from.
  3. Budget is 10000-15000 USD all in for 7-10 days of which 2 days with be arrival and departure
  4. What I am looking for is an old grey battled scarred Buffalo with wide hard boss just past their prime with a good curl/drop/spread, if the tips are worn or slightly broken off that is fine. 40 inches range.
  5. Spot and stalk only I have zero interest in spending all my time banging around in a Hilux or Cruiser. I am fit and capable of walking miles if needed.
  6. I need to rent a quality rifle 375 H&H with quality ammo from the outfitter and would need to spend time at the range to be confident before going out. I will not travel from my location with a rifle again after the last trip and the hassle I went through.
  7. Trip Would take place in Either Mid October of this Year or Mid April-End of April 2025
  8. It would be preferred if the Outfitter/PH is the owner if the property and its a smaller outfit- one group at a time.
  9. I will consider other provinces but if and only if they are not swamp/wet/malaria areas and meet the about criteria.
  10. A PH who is prepared to work hard to succeed and carefully and properly judge the animals based on experience as opposed to shooting the first animal or a younger animal that should be left to breed and spread its genes
  11. I have no interest in taxidermy.
Please feel for to PM me whether you are an outfitter or another hunter with size of property and response to my points

Thanks very much in advance

Bradley
:S Welcome: to AH!
Excellent post to get started. There are lots of good AH Sponsor Outfitters here that have what you are looking for. I am sure that several will be along shortly....

I have hunted buffalo many times, and for buffalo in South Africa, you cannot beat @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS. They have a huge self-sustaining herd of some awesome buffalo. They pick up tracks and follow them so it is a genuine buffalo hunt. In fact portions of their concession is so thick I doubt any man has walked through those areas. It is a family business, they are a short 2 hour drive from the JNB airport. Great facilities.

Hi Bradley,

I can definitely accommodate you on your first Buff Hunt
I've send you a PM and responded to your points of what your after

Cheers
Dieter

I would look at Coenraad Vermaak Safaris. He has access to the biggest contiguous area in South Africa that is malaria free. I will not post which area because got some flack in earlier postings. Area is 90000 hectares. PM me if you want more information.

Take a look at Game 4 Africa Safari, they have buffalo on their property in the Eastern Cape. They are a sponsor here.

I would absolutely look at Limcroma Safaris. They have multiple concessions with Buffalo and some are quite large. Not to mention their lodging is amazing, food is outstanding, and all staff members are absolutely astounding. Not to mention, their buffalos are very impressive. At least the ones I have seen personally and the one taken there are super nice!

thanks for the replies I appreciate it, I will look at each PM from the outfitters who respond to each point in detail. Just a note for rifle rental please not what you have available in 375 H&H/scope AMMO used. This is important to me I prefer CZ type Mauser action with a quality low power scope 1-5 or similar.

I know Game 4 Africa has rifles for rent, and I know they have 375 H&H with Swaro scopes. I also belief some of their rifles have suppressors. Here is their link. https://www.game4africa.co.za/

There are plenty of reports, I hunted with them, and I'm heading back next year for Buffalo.

Hunted with Africa Maximum Safaris this past August and the 4 of us in camp hunting Buffalo all took very nice buffs.
Below is a photo of mine. Huge bosses and with only 2 teeth left in his mouth they estimated he was 14 years old.
Image1716401361.914174.jpg

@BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS is a sponsor here on the site and I know they have several different buffalo hunting options in RSA where they can get you sorted out. I have hunted on land hippo with them and they run a first class operation. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about them.

@DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS is another top notch operator in RSA that kills some great buffalo every year. He is also a site sponsor.

Most any of the site sponsors in RSA will be able to put together a package that would meet your needs and you will get first hand input from folks that have hunted with them, as you are already seeing. Best of luck to you in planning your safari. You are in the correct place to get info.

I recommend Quagga Safaris and Erik Visser. Erik runs a really great operation on the Manketti Reserve. 57,000 acres. Beautiful lodge and rooms, great food prepared by Lucky, the chef, and a great group of professional hunters. I've hunted with Eon and Quagga 4 times and took a huge buffalo on my last hunt in 2022. Eon was recently named PH of the year by PHASA.

Good evening sir, please have a look at your inbox I did send you a PM.
We will be able to meet your requests.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards
Derian Koekemoer

If I was looking for a first buffalo hunt I would take advantage of a deal @tsala safaris has on this site, not RSA but Mozambique. I think they said they drive into camp from Johannesburg to camp so no expensive charter and it’s wild Africa.

If I was looking for a first buffalo hunt I would take advantage of a deal @tsala safaris has on this site, not RSA but Mozambique. I think they said they drive into camp from Johannesburg to camp so no expensive charter and it’s wild Africa.
That would bend his malaria free criteria…

He’s got a list! You better have his favorite scope too.

Cheers.

I recommend Quagga Safaris and Erik Visser. Erik runs a really great operation on the Manketti Reserve. 57,000 acres. Beautiful lodge and rooms, great food prepared by Lucky, the chef, and a great group of professional hunters. I've hunted with Eon and Quagga 4 times and took a huge buffalo on my last hunt in 2022. Eon was recently named PH of the year by PHASA.
I'll second this. Erik also won Outfitter of the Year this year from the Houston Safari Club. I hunted a buffalo with them in 2022 and will be hunting another one here in about a month. I definitely would recommend Quagga Safaris. They will make you work for your buffalo (in a good way).

I went back and re-read the OP and noticed that. Probably rule out some of the Kruger adjacent properties as well.

We can assist, will send you a Private message.

Looking forward to sharing our passion and continent with you.
Kind Regards, '
Valie Enslin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
126asia

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.