Which A frame in 416?

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I'm picking up some factory ammo for a good deal for my 416 rem mag. Mix of 350gr and 400gr a frames. I'll stick to whatever is more accurate, but if theres no discernable different in accuracy, would i be going wrong to use the 350gr a frames for buffalo and N. American game? Will handload with whatever bullet is more accurate after the factory fodder is depleted

Unless the accuracy of the 400gr round was just horrid and the 350's were much better, I'd go with the 400gr for buffalo. I'll be the first to say that with the high weight retention, the 350's would likely be fine. But it's a buffalo, there's no such thing as overkill.

At typical buffalo distances I'd be surprised if the 400gr were so inaccurate that I couldn't make a 50-75 yard shot and very likely less than 50 yards. Adding that you seem to be planning on hand loading, I'd guess you'll find an accurate 400gr load even if the factory stuff isn't all that great.

For buffalo I strongly recommend the Swift A Frame 400 gr. Load 400 gr Swift Break away solids for back up. Both are splendid bullets and by careful hand loading they can be made to have identical points of impact at 100 yards. A tip I got from the owner of Swift Bullets when building up hand loads; reduce the powder charge by 2 grains when loading the solids from the load of the A Frames and they will be very close on points of impact. He knew of what he spoke. Good Luck.

I'm picking up some factory ammo for a good deal for my 416 rem mag. Mix of 350gr and 400gr a frames. I'll stick to whatever is more accurate, but if theres no discernable different in accuracy, would i be going wrong to use the 350gr a frames for buffalo and N. American game? Will handload with whatever bullet is more accurate after the factory fodder is depleted
For buffalo I strongly recommend the Swift A Frame 400 gr. Load 400 gr Swift Break away solids for back up. Both are splendid bullets and by careful hand loading they can be made to have identical points of impact at 100 yards. A tip I got from the owner of Swift Bullets when building up hand loads; reduce the powder charge by 2 grains when loading the solids from the load of the A Frames and they will be very close on points of impact. He knew of what he spoke. Good Luck.
400 for a SP on African dangerous game. Can't imagine what I would use a .416 on in North America, but a 350 would be fine.

With a quality SP like the A-Frame, the only thing that will require a solid is an elephant. I hunt buffalo with a magazine full of A-Frames or TSX. You'll find most PH's agree with that these days.

400 for a SP on African dangerous game. Can't imagine what I would use a .416 on in North America, but a 350 would be fine.

With a quality SP like the A-Frame, the only thing that will require a solid is an elephant. I hunt buffalo with a magazine full of A-Frames or TSX. You'll find most PH's agree with that these days.

Red Leg,
Sorry, but I will have to respectfully disagree with you.
You always need to take at least some solids with you on your Buffalo hunt. A TSX is not a replacement for a solid.

Red Leg,
Sorry, but I will have to respectfully disagree with you.
You always need to take at least some solids with you on your Buffalo hunt. A TSX is not a replacement for a solid.
Marius, then we will agree to respectfully disagree. Though, I do take solids with me on a buffalo hunt. They are perfect for Duiker, Oribi, and Suni.

Id use the 350s if that's all I had or whatever, but IMO a buffalo bullets should be long and heavy, and my favorite Buffalo bullet in my 416 Rem and 404 Jefferys is the Woodleigh 450 gr. PP or RN, it kills like my 458 Lott and 505 gibbs killed back in the day..

Velocity is secondary on big dull animals like buff, hippo and elephant, even detrimental, velocity is at its best on soft animals like deer, elk, kudu etc. IMO..

400 gr A Frame in 416 Rem Mag at 2350 muzzle velocity does everything you want a bullet to do for DG like buffalo. Long distance shooting, max velocities and trajectory concerns are somewhat meaningless if used in the same sentence with hunting DG.

As a general rule , heavy for caliber bullets are far more ideal than lighter for caliber bullets . I would highly endorse the 400 grain bullet for the .416 Remington caliber . Lighter for caliber bullets inherently compromise sectional density . But in many cases , the compromise is not bad enough to actually cause any penetration problems ( Depending up on what quarry 1 is after ) .

My 416RM is shooting 400 grain Barnes TSX and 400 grain Barnes Solids to the same POI.
The TSX was factory loaded by Barnes, but the solids were loaded by Remington.
I will be testing the Barnes Solids that are loaded by Barnes when I have a chance.
The 400 grain SAF's didn't group as well in my rifle.

I do plan on taking about 5-10 solids on my upcoming Buffalo hunt.
However I will defer to my PH on their use and how I load my rifle.
Better to have them and not need them...

I have a Winchester 70 416 Rem that shoots like a varmint rifle with 400 gr TSX and Swift A Frames. This rifle will amaze you with how accurate it is with these bullets. I can't imagine your rifle won't do fine with them.

My 416RM is shooting 400 grain Barnes TSX and 400 grain Barnes Solids to the same POI.
The TSX was factory loaded by Barnes, but the solids were loaded by Remington.
I will be testing the Barnes Solids that are loaded by Barnes when I have a chance.
The 400 grain SAF's didn't group as well in my rifle.

I do plan on taking about 5-10 solids on my upcoming Buffalo hunt.
However I will defer to my PH on their use and how I load my rifle.
Better to have them and not need them...

Sounds like a great choice and you're ready for elephant too!

Sounds like a great choice and you're ready for elephant too!
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm gonna pump the brakes a little bit on that one.
I'll make it to the deep end of the pool soon enough.

Wife is talking about another safari in Zim in 2023.
Maybe after having some encounters with wild Elephants I'll reconsider.
For now, I'll be content to continue practicing for my upcoming Buff in '22.

The heaviest one.....

Personally I’d use 400 grain Swift A Frames which I have used in
My 417 Remington

400 grain Swift A frame on giraffe, sable and first shot on buffalo,400 grain Swift break away solids on buffalo back up shot. Hand loaded in 416 rigby. Loads were developed to have identical point of impact at 100 yards. I would love to have the opportunity to use them again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg