Sticky bolt?

Wyatt, just want to make sure I understand, and maybe you can check for me.
Once you fire a round, the bolt sticks about 3/4 up. If you cycle the bolt with or without a round, and keep cycling it without releasing the trigger, it doesn't stick?
It will only stick with a case in it, whether I’ve just fired it or I fired it three hours ago and put it back in.

It will only stick with a case in it, whether I’ve just fired it or I fired it three hours ago and put it back in.

Wyatt,
This sounds very similar to a problem that I had on one of my rifles. The problem laid with the trigger.

I just fired some PPU factory ammo and it worked just fine. I will take Bruce’s advice and buy new brass.
For the sake of curiosity I tried to chamber some brass fired from my other rifle, and the bolt closed very hard. That tells me this rifle has a tighter chamber, right?
Thanks for the help guys, I will report back if I have any more trouble.

I just fired some PPU factory ammo and it worked just fine. I will take Bruce’s advice and buy new brass.

Now reload that now once fired in your rifle brass and see how that goes. If that works fine, then your rifle is likely fine, you just can't be using brass fired in other rifles.

I don't know about you guys but to me this is looking more and more like a headspace issue. Not with the rifle but with the brass. Especially given the fact that factory ammo worked just fine. Try resetting your full length sizing die to see if it helps.

Now reload that now once fired in your rifle brass and see how that goes. If that works fine, then your rifle is likely fine, you just can't be using brass fired in other rifles.
Agree with Phil, If I'm reading all the posts correctly: first try prepping & full length resizing that once fired brass and see where you stand from there.

Sounds to me that the first rifle has a slightly larger chamber either in diameter or length than the new rifle. Firing cases in the larger chamber will cause problems when trying to use them in a smaller chamber unless small base dies are used to reduce the brass to original factory specs, which standard sizing dies do not. I'm unaware of any small base dies being made for the 375H&H.

headspace with belted cartridges is measured from the boltface to the front of the belt.
the fit of the rest of the case in the chamber is not taken into account in any way.
upon reloading the case, which is now theoretically fireformed to that chamber, the reloader can now start using the distance to the shoulder from the boltface instead, as we do with rimless.
this is a good thing to do, as it increases case life.
one of the big bugbears with belted cases is their tendancy to separate in front of the belt.
that is why sizing that part of the case should be absolutely minimal in that area.
cases with correct temper should never need sizing there if only used in that chamber, and are never subjected to over pressure.
dies specially designed to do serious sizing just in front of the belt are a zig designed to fix a zag.
the zig will just produce another problem, namely a case head separation, which you might prefer not to have in front of a buffalo or a bear.
good cases loaded sensibly is the true fix.
in effect, tapered cases like the 375 can almost headspace on the tapered body as well, so some thought needs to go into case prep.
if you think about it a 375 case is not all that different to a morse taper.
they grip very effectively, but release instantly with the correct tool.
in the rifle, the tool is primary extraction as you lift the bolt.
fortunately in the m70/mauser the tool (extractor) is big.
a stuck case in a rem 700 can have part of its rim torn out by the small extractor.
headspace issues manifest themselves when closing the bolt more so than when opening it.
bruce.

Sounds to me that the first rifle has a slightly larger chamber either in diameter or length than the new rifle. Firing cases in the larger chamber will cause problems when trying to use them in a smaller chamber unless small base dies are used to reduce the brass to original factory specs, which standard sizing dies do not. I'm unaware of any small base dies being made for the 375H&H.

The question becomes how many useful and safe reloads can one get from a case? Some belted mags, at peak pressure the chambering and extraction may become sticky after just one firing and resizing. Conventional sizing dies will not even touch the area in front of the belt-- the source of the problem. This can also be noticed in some standard rimless non-belted cases. There is a difference between headspacing shoulder setback and sizing the area just in form to the web. Two different things. Setting back the head spacing stop, the shoulder, on non-belted brass is the surest way to shorten case life just as is having excess head space in a chamber to begin with. IMO, use the belt for headspring on belted brass and don't try to rely on the shoulder. That doesn't mean set the shoulder back on a belted case either. There is a reason that cartridges with shallow or only false shoulders must have a belt. The 375 HH was designed with a belt for the reason of providing a sure and consistent headspacing stop.

Prudent, necessary sizing DOWN the area of the case body causing sticky chambering or extraction hardly contributes to reducing useful case life or case stretching. That happens from shoulder set back during sizing or the from basic headspace clearance needed for all cartridges to freely chamber without without resistance. Obviously, excess headspace will greatly reduce case life. But all cases have a finite, useful lifespan.

Actually a "small base" type die can easily be made by sacrificing a regular sizing die. For a belted mag, turn off base of the die to just forward of the belt recess. Lightly chamfer and smooth the entry. Then cut the front part of the die off just below the shoulder or false shoulder area of the case. This die will size right up to the belt and not touch any part of the shoulder.

I made such a die specifically for all the '06 family and similar cartridges like the 7x57 because occasionally even the non-belted cases will expand enough in the area just forward of the web to cause sticky chambering and/or extraction. Conventional dies will usually not resize that portion of the case. To do so, by forcing a case that far into a sizing die, would also severely set back the shoulder- not a good thing! There is a reason for the small base dies available for common lever action type cartridges. :)

For the belted mags, I use a dedicated collet type die made by Innovative Technologies that sizes only about a 1/2" portion just in front of the belt. The die is good for use for all standard belted mags in the family with a .532" head diameter. It's not a cheap die but neither is discarding belted mags after a sizing or two when they have several sizings of life left in them.

And of course all these sizing operations are adjustable and done only to the extent necessary for resistance free chambering. For DG ammo especially, not a good idea to have sticky chambering or extraction. For target shooting, many shooters prefer a "snug" fit for accuracy/concentricity purposes. Two different types shooting, two different types of ammo!

1st pic shows the area of expansion just in front of the web (interior web junction) on a rimless case that a standard sizing die won't touch.

2nd pic is a "base only" type die I made for the '06 family to re-size that area.

3rd, 4th, 5th pics are the function of the standard .532" belted mag collet die.

swell area in front of web .JPG

"small base" die made for '06 family .JPG

IT collet die 1.png

IT collet die 2.png

IT collet die 3.JPG

I’m sorry, this is the second loading. They once fired when I loaded them. I got them from a friend who doesn’t reload.

Factory loads work. Brass from another rifle doesn't work. My 2¢, shooting brass from another rifle can't be sized properly for your chamber and is the problem. BTDT.

I ordered some new brass today. I only had ten factory rounds I was saving for something like this. I will prep and load that, fire it, then see what happens the second firing.
It may be of interest that the reload for my other fired through this rifle, I took one of those cases and chambered it, and lifted and closed the bolt several times. The most rubbing I saw was a quarter inch north of the belt.
Thanks guys.

Sometimes another die of the same brand or another brand will size the case lower enough to work in another rifle.

Wyatt did you get your new brass and if so did it work when you loaded it?

Fourfive8 thanks for the tip on the die from Innovative Technologies. Mine is on the way. I have three 375 H&H Mag. rifles, using this die will insure that I can use the brass interchangeably. At least that is what I'm hoping for. Hopefully it will extend the brass life for my 7 mm Remington and 338 Win. Mag as well.

Fourfive8 thanks for the tip on the die from Innovative Technologies. Mine is on the way. I have three 375 H&H Mag. rifles, using this die will insure that I can use the brass interchangeably. At least that is what I'm hoping for. Hopefully it will extend the brass life for my 7 mm Remington and 338 Win. Mag as well.

if you are using that die to make brass fit all chambers, you will decrease case life, and increase the probability if a case head separation.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross