R8 Custom Barrels-Dream Come True!

T

the military snipers just performed a test of all available long range calibers. The .300 PRC won by far. So on paper there are many choices it just gets interesting when some of these new calibers get put to the test. I am sure there are hundreds of opinions on this but it’s neat to know what is really on the cutting edge.
Philip

I've read that is was more so designed with a group of them, so Hornady catered to their specific wants and needs. Smart on their end, making the cartridge to the desires of the people evaluation. That combined with an American company and its field results just make for an easy win.

Blaser brand? I'm going to get a 416 too but just cant justify buying the Blaser at triple the cost of the JSip. Is there something I'm missing before I make the purchase?
Yes, it's Blaser brand.
No one else who is making Blaser barrels can duplicate the finish...no one.
If I wanted a caliber that wasn't offered by Blaser, I'd consider J Sip.
For now, that's not the case.

Yes, it's Blaser brand.
Gotcha. I'm good with cerakote or whatever really to save the money but that's probably because it's the 10% use barrel not the 90%. But I can be super picky about other things so I dont fault anyone for feeling differently. Appreciate the info, now I know!

I received my J. Sips & Sons R8 .458 Lott barrel about 2 weeks ago. $1400 delivered. It was cut to match the profile of the Blaser Selous Safari barrel and fits my Blaser Professional stock perfectly. The front sight is a hooded orange fiber optic rod and the rear site is screw adjustable for elevation and windage and locks with separate screws. No windage adjustment was necessary but the sight had to be extended upwards to its limit for a 50yd zero. This is OK as it improved the cheek-weld when sighting. The hood is open at the top to allow illumination of the fiber optic rod and is removable by pressing a small spring loaded button on the side. My only issue is that the rear sight does not have a vertical white center-line as does my Krieghoff's sight, which line helps center the front bead. I mounted a Leupold VX 5HD 1-5x24 Fire Dot scope with a CDS dial on a Blaser mount and sighted it in at 50 yds as the CDS was ordered with ballistics of a 500gr Barnes TSX bullet and a 50 yd zero, though the dial compensates for drop out to 100s of yards further than I will shoot at any DG. An exceptional PG specimen which presents itself at a distance may be a different issue and my experience with a CDS dial on a Leupold VX 5HD 2-10X42 on my .375 H&H Blaser barrel gives me confidence that a clean shot at distance is not only possible but assured. The cuts for the Blaser mount are a few hundredths wider than my stock Blaser barrels, however, this is not an issue for me as the mount fits well and the scope is dedicated to this barrel. I shot a number of rounds off the bench to sight it in and get comfortable with this barrel and it is a shooter, with the holes touching and clover leafing at 50 yds. The "run and gun" exercise I do with my Krieghoff was also done on this day with this barrel and there is no better way to get comfortable with a firearm that shooting at a target, moving to the right 5 fast steps while reloading, shooting at a different target, quickly shooting at the first target again and then reversing direction 5 fast steps shoot at the second target. The moving and reloading keeps your mind busy and reduces your awareness of the recoil, which is a good thing. Any way, I am very happy with the barrel, the fit and finish and the accuracy. My only complaint with Justin is that he would rather spend time making barrels and exceptionally beautiful firearms than answering emails, however, after receiving my barrel relatively quickly, I will not register this as a serious complaint. I can unequivocally state that if you order a barrel from J Sims & Sons, you will be pleased on all accounts.

Yes, it's Blaser brand.

Order a 404 Jeffery barrel, Blaser doesn’t make one ;) (y)

Order a 404 Jeffery barrel, Blaser doesn’t make one ;) (y)
Yeah, I gave some thought to a 404J, before I got the 416RM.
Not sure I'm going any bigger, but if I did...458LOTT may be in order.

I don't see the "horsepower" gain in going from .416 caliber to .423 caliber.
It's pretty close to duplicating, IMO.
If I'm really gonna spin the wheels on this thing, I might as well go with a .458 caliber.

I do have a friend who has ordered a 470CAPSTICK that I'd like to try.

We shall see.

If I'm really gonna spin the wheels on this thing, I might as well go with a .458 caliber.

We shall see.

All true, HOWEVER the 404J screams Africa so all of us NEED one...that’s what I’m telling my wife at least ;)

All true, HOWEVER the 404J screams Africa so all of us NEED one...that’s what I’m telling my wife at least ;)
Good luck with that.

I tried doing that but she knows too much about cartridges.
Let me get over the current R8 bill and maybe I can slip a 458L by the goalie.

We shall see.

https://www.africahunting.com/media/blaser-r8-458-lott-500gr-tsx-vs-water-jug.100034/

Elmer Lattalia was making custom Blaser barrels for some time. He sold the business "process" to Palehorse Zero. Although I like the nostalgia of sights on any short-medium barrel I find them distracting when using a low power variable scope. Palehorse is making me a fluted .458 Lott barrel with a talley band from a Kreiger blank and I cannot wait for it!

Full disclosure: In our first conversation I was to order 2 barrels, the other a 28" 6.5-300 Weatherby. I got cold feet at deposit time but wish I hadn't.

I’ve been happy with my .470 Capstick from him (Sip). I think I am going to do a .404 Jeffery now. I have sent a Rem 700 in .300 RUM for conversion to .404 Jeff, and a Winchester 54 to be done as a .318 WR to Cut Rifles, but his website is down and no reply on calls or emails, so who knows how that will end...

Elmer Lattalia was making custom Blaser barrels for some time. He sold the business "process" to Palehorse Zero. Although I like the nostalgia of sights on any short-medium barrel I find them distracting when using a low power variable scope. Palehorse is making me a fluted .458 Lott barrel with a talley band from a Kreiger blank and I cannot wait for it!

Full disclosure: In our first conversation I was to order 2 barrels, the other a 28" 6.5-300 Weatherby. I got cold feet at deposit time but wish I hadn't.
I had not heard of Palehorse Zero, appreciate the information.

You were right to get cold feet on the 6.5-300WBY.
Not long ago they released the 6.5WBY RPM, I guess because the 6.5-300WBY wasn't quite fast enough.
Not to mention the 6.5PRC that is also pretty new.
The market is not hurting for choices in the 6.5mm size.
Getting them figured out and knowing which ones will be forgotten another story.

I had not heard of Palehorse Zero, appreciate the information.

You were right to get cold feet on the 6.5-300WBY.
Not long ago they released the 6.5WBY RPM, I guess because the 6.5-300WBY wasn't quite fast enough.
Not to mention the 6.5PRC that is also pretty new.
The market is not hurting for choices in the 6.5mm size.
Getting them figured out and knowing which ones will be forgotten another story.

The RPM is 200-300 slower than 6.5-300. They needed a proprietary round for their lightweight mountain line. LOL, yes the 6.5 craze is in full hysteria! In the end, my 7mm Remington Magnum was my first rifle and is like my left hand.

I do need a fast(ish) 30-338 type caliber for my R8 set. My heart was set on an 8mm Rem. Mag. But I'm not in love with bullet selection, and I haven't handloaded in years so its out.

The RPM is 200-300 slower than 6.5-300. They needed a proprietary round for their lightweight mountain line. LOL, yes the 6.5 craze is in full hysteria! In the end, my 7mm Remington Magnum was my first rifle and is like my left hand.

I do need a fast(ish) 30-338 type caliber for my R8 set. My heart was set on an 8mm Rem. Mag. But I'm not in love with bullet selection, and I haven't handloaded in years so its out.

Picked up a rifle in 338 Federal as a hog/bear gun. Haven’t hunted it yet, but shooting-wise she’s a dream and blast to shoot...very accurate. Might want to give that a go to fill in between 30 cal and a 375 barrels, though would depend on what you’re using it for. This 338 doesn’t sharp kick the crap out of my should like my old 338 win mag did.

That's a big jump from thinking about a 6.5 and now looking at .30 to 338.
Plenty of choices out there as well thanks to the likes of J. Sip and Palehorse.
Let us know which way you go.

Picked up a rifle in 338 Federal as a hog/bear gun. Haven’t hunted it yet, but shooting-wise she’s a dream and blast to shoot...very accurate. Might want to give that a go to fill in between 30 cal and a 375 barrels, though would depend on what you’re using it for. This 338 doesn’t sharp kick the crap out of my should like my old 338 win mag did.
That's funny, my wife and I were just discussing going hog hunting in GA this morning.
She wants to take the 375H&H and leave me with the 416RM.
That should get it done.

I've had a Remington 700 8mm Rem Mag for quite a while and it is a Thumper, it really wacks-em good. When I first came across J. Sip I noticed he had a 8mm RM barrel in stock for my Blaser R8 so I bought it and am happy with it so far but haven't really done much with it yet.

Bullet selection for the 8mm is limited compared to other calibers but is sufficient to meet most needs. I use mostly 200gn. TSX bullets and have been very happy with them.

The thing that the 30 cal's and 338's have over the 8mm is B.C. But that really doesn't have much affect until around 500-600 yds. IMO you need to go to the .340Wby to match or exceed the 8mm RM's performance. The .340Wby does that but not by much.

You should get that 6.5-300Wby barrel. I ordered a Lazermark in 6.5-300Wby from Weatherby's custom shop when they first came out and it is a shooter. I have zero regrets making that purchase.

I have also recently received a Weatherby Backcountry Ti in 6.5Wby RPM that I ordered from the custom shop at that SCI convention but as yet have not been able to do anything with it because I stupidly broke my wrist while playing the dangerous game of Pickleball. So I sit here and wait until I've sufficiently healed. But the rifle is very light and trigger seems good.

That's a big jump from thinking about a 6.5 and now looking at .30 to 338.
Plenty of choices out there as well thanks to the likes of J. Sip and Palehorse.
Let us know which way you go.

The 6.5 was for an upcoming Coues Deer hunt, figured it would be fun for Pronghorn as well. the 30-338 was for PG and maybe Brown Bear when I let my .338 Ultra go.

You're right,lots of options...

The 6.5 was for an upcoming Coues Deer hunt, figured it would be fun for Pronghorn as well. the 30-338 was for PG and maybe Brown Bear when I let my .338 Ultra go.

You're right,lots of options...
I've severely paired down my caliber collection since moving to the R8.
22lr, 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM with two rifle stocks.
Maybe add a 6.5x55SE and a lightweight synthetic stock at a later date.
I like the option of changing a the twist rate to 1:8, Blaser only offers 1:10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber