R8 Custom Barrels-Dream Come True!

Sips recently made me an R8 barrel in 6.5 Wby RPM. Unfortunately, the bolt won't close completely and the firing pin won't release because the pin on the top of the R8 bolt must be fully depressed for safety reasons. The barrel doesn't work.

In the attached image, the top barrel is the 6.5 made by Sips. For comparison, the bottom barrel (not made by Sips) shows the R8 bolt in the normally closed position. I've tried multiple bolts and multiple rounds of two different types of 6.5 RPM ammo with the same result -- the bolt won't close completely on the Sips barrel. All of these bolts work fine on other barrels.

No one answers the telephone at Sips. There is no ability to leave a voice mail. No response from Sips to my emails or FB messages. The second image are the two most recent posts on Sips FB page. Apparently, I am not the only one having trouble contacting them.

I am hoping Sips will help me. If anyone knows an alternate way to contact Justin, please let me know. Thanks.

Sip Comp.jpg
Sip FB.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sips recently made me an R8 barrel in 6.5 Wby RPM. Unfortunately, the bolt won't close completely and the firing pin won't release because the pin on the top of the R8 bolt must be fully depressed for safety reasons. The barrel doesn't work.

In the attached image, the top barrel is the 6.5 made by Sips. For comparison, the bottom barrel (not made by Sips) shows the R8 bolt in the normally closed position. I've tried multiple bolts and multiple rounds of two different types of 6.5 RPM ammo with the same result -- the bolt won't close completely on the Sips barrel. All of these bolts work fine on other barrels.

No one answers the telephone at Sips. There is no ability to leave a voice mail. No response from Sips to my emails or FB messages. The second image are the two most recent posts on Sips FB page. Apparently, I am not the only one having trouble contacting them.

I am hoping Sips will help me. If anyone knows an alternate way to contact Justin, please let me know. Thanks.

View attachment 376919View attachment 376922
Try reaching out to him on the Blaser Buds site.

Try reaching out to him on the Blaser Buds site.
Great minds think alike. I started a post there a few days ago, but no sign of Justin there either.

One of the replies on my BB post suggested just sending back the barrel to Sips with a note instructing them correct in a timely manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like it might be a reamer issue. I'd send it back to him with pictures and an explanation of what is going on. He may not the best on responding to emails or phone calls but he will fix it and make it right. Although it may take a little longer than you like.

How long ago did you first order your 6.5Wby-RPM? SAAMI only published their specs 9/23/2020.

I have also struggled to get hold of J Sip & Sons recently about two barrels I had ordered and paid for. I ordered two barrels from them at the end of August and added two factory Blaser magazine inserts to my order. These parts can often take 6 to 12 months to get in Australia from the local Blaser agent.
It seems these original Blaser magazine parts also take a while to obtain in the US.
But the good news was that I did get a response from them at the end of last week after three weeks of trying via email and phone. This was my only options when I am located in Australia.
My barrels and magazine inserts had shipped to my exporter the previous day.

Until then I was sending a polite email every week just asking for an update.
The phone did not connect through as he has an anti spam caller feature that does not accept my international call. The barrels were finished and ready to ship within two weeks of placing my original order. The wait was for the magazine parts.
When I ordered Justin said he was removing the Blaser barrel information from his web site as Blaser USA was giving him grief about offering this service.
I also thought that something was up with them and they may be recovering from some bad health or had a family emergency. This was because my earlier correspondance back and forward was useually next day.
My suggestion is to keep trying to get hold of them.

They are hard to get a hold of but they do good work. I’d send the barrel back and have them fix it. I am sure it will turn out good in the end.
Philip

I have also struggled to get hold of J Sip & Sons recently about two barrels I had ordered and paid for. I ordered two barrels from them at the end of August and added two factory Blaser magazine inserts to my order. These parts can often take 6 to 12 months to get in Australia from the local Blaser agent.
It seems these original Blaser magazine parts also take a while to obtain in the US.
But the good news was that I did get a response from them at the end of last week after three weeks of trying via email and phone. This was my only options when I am located in Australia.
My barrels and magazine inserts had shipped to my exporter the previous day.

Until then I was sending a polite email every week just asking for an update.
The phone did not connect through as he has an anti spam caller feature that does not accept my international call. The barrels were finished and ready to ship within two weeks of placing my original order. The wait was for the magazine parts.
When I ordered Justin said he was removing the Blaser barrel information from his web site as Blaser USA was giving him grief about offering this service.
I also thought that something was up with them and they may be recovering from some bad health or had a family emergency. This was because my earlier correspondance back and forward was useually next day.
My suggestion is to keep trying to get hold of them.
Thanks so much for your reply. My first thought was exactly the same as yours -- I thought something bad (e.g., an illness or accident) had happened. I will continue to attempt to contact them. At this point, I plan to send the barrel back to them even if I can't contact them as it is useless to me in its current state.

The Blaser USA and Blaser Germany folks have been good to work with over the years. They should, however, encourage custom barrel makers. Other than my .375 H&H, most of my other R8 barrels are customs. Blaser doesn't make the exact barrels I want and having the ability to customize makes the platform incredibly appealing.

Inside of 200 yards, the .375 H&H works well for just about any game on the plant. It's at the edge of being comfortable for me to shoot as I am lanky/light. It works great in much of Africa. At home here in North America, it makes less sense. That's why I am anxious to get my 6.5 Weatherby RPM barrel from Sip working. In the meantime, I still have my custom R8 barrel in 26 Nosler (404 Jeffrey necked down to 6.5).

I’ve used him for a .470 Capstick barrel and was very happy. He’s currently doing a .300 WM in to an 8x68 for me and a .325 WSM barrel. While he can be hard to reach sometimes, he has not only done my barrel and taken my jobs, but he has helped me on some rifle questions I had. Im
Sure all will turn out well

Philip & Glenn, thank you for your thoughts as well. I too think it will turn out well.

Another supplier of R8 barrels is Palehorse Zero.
I have no experience with either J Sip or Palehorse.
Just an FYI for those looking for other options.

Another supplier of R8 barrels is Palehorse Zero.
I have no experience with either J Sip or Palehorse.
Just an FYI for those looking for other options.
Thanks, BeeMaa. I have barrels that Elmer made for me and all of those work well with excellent accuracy.

Palehorse Zero (PZ) has made two barrels for me that I just recently received. Both of those barrels look great in terms of fit and finish, but I have not fired them yet. Hopefully, they are accurate as well. The bolt closes fully (i.e. full battery) on both of these barrels when chambering a round.

The barrel Sip made for me included a nice thread protector (see image) that matches the barrel. Neither of the PZ barrels included a thread protector. In addition to shooting well, I like my Blaser to look good too. I like the engraving that Sip put on his barrel (see 2nd image). Buffalo are my favorite species to hunt. I think I like the flute machining better on the PZ than the Sip barrel (see 3rd image).

I am excited about the Sip 6.5 RPM barrel and hoping that Sip can get this barrel or replacement working soon. Moreover, there are other barrels I would like to order from Sip. Both Sip and PZ were nice to deal with.

Sip thread protect.jpg
Sip engraving.jpg
Sip vs PZ fluting.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, BeeMaa. I have barrels that Elmer made for me and all of those work well with excellent accuracy.

Palehorse Zero (PZ) has made two barrels for me that I just recently received. Both of those barrels look great in terms of fit and finish, but I have not fired them yet. Hopefully, they are accurate as well. The bolt closes fully (i.e. full battery) on both of these barrels when chambering a round.

The barrel Sip made for me included a nice thread protector (see image) that matches the barrel. Neither of the PZ barrels included a thread protector. In addition to shooting well, I like my Blaser to look good too. I like the engraving that Sip put on his barrel (see 2nd image). Buffalo are my favorite species to hunt. I think I like the flute machining better on the PZ than the Sip barrel (see 3rd image).

I am excited about the Sip 6.5 RPM barrel and hoping that Sip can get this barrel or replacement working soon. Moreover, there are other barrels I would like to order from Sip. Both Sip and PZ were nice to deal with.

View attachment 377105View attachment 377106View attachment 377107
The difference in the fluting is dramatic.
If I had seen the Sip barrel by itself, I may not have noticed.

Good luck with the 6.5RPM.
It's a Weatherby, so it guaranteed to be wicked fast. ;)
Hopefully accurate as well.

I wonder if a 416 Ruger barrel could be made in standard contour? Loaded to 450/400 ballistics, that would make for a nice handy buff rifle with a bit more punch than a 375, with not much more recoil.

Update on 6.5 Wby RPM barrel: Justin did fix the barrel. The bolt now seems to fully close with a round in the chamber. Still need to test fire, however.

I used the same barrel for many days in all weathers over maybe 10/15 years, and the finish was unmarked. Occasional surface rust in the flutes simply rubbed off with an oily rag.

It's very, very good.

I had one of Elmer barrels in 280 Ackley and it shot well. Sold it as it would change POI massively has it heated up. Great hunting barrel, but for much target shooting it got weird.

The Austrian company Bix N Andy will not import barrels, they have a huge market share in the match trigger world in shootings sports in the USA.

I am hopeful that Blaser will follow the market on the PRC cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber