R8 Custom Barrels-Dream Come True!

I tried to enter website and found that a PASSWORD is required. Does anyone know the password?
Just looked as well. Hard to generate new business if one blocks out new customers.

This seems to work https://www.jsipandsons.com/

Hmmm - nothing about the R8 any longer. Wonder if they ran into a patent infringement issue.

Just looked as well. Hard to generate new business if one blocks out new customers.

Hmmm - nothing about the R8 any longer. Wonder if they ran into a patent infringement issue.
Not sure what site you’re looking at. It still shows R8 barrels when I look it up.

Hornady has come out with a new 300 base on the 375 Ruger case which would be a good match.

upload_2020-1-29_12-6-15.png

https://www.hornady.com/300prc#!/

The 300 PRC is an intelligently crafted 21st century magnum cartridge specifically designed to take advantage of long, heavy for caliber bullets capable of delivering the highest levels of accuracy and aerodynamic performance.

Based on the 375 Ruger cartridge case, the 300 PRC is non-belted and uses a standard .532” magnum bolt face and headspaces off the 30 degree shoulder. This results in better chamber alignment than standard belted magnum cartridges and allows for improved stacking and feeding from fixed magazines.

The 300 PRC cartridge and chamber were designed concurrently combining to provide excellent alignment and highly tuned performance. The cartridge case is designed to use common, temperature stable, magnum speed rifle powders producing extremely consistent velocity and increased barrel life compared to currently available magnum cartridges.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.48 AM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.49 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.50 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.52 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.18.53 AM.png
    586.2 KB · Views: 126
It is wonderful to be an innocent person freed from the travails barrel obsession. (y) I never go through the break-in ritual with any new rifles or barrels. Ever. Haven't had one that wouldn't do at least MOA with a load it liked in probably a decade. The R8 and S2 barrels have all been particularly accurate. Every load I use for hunting is sub-moa. (In Blaser, that now includes .257 Wby, 6.5x55, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, 2x .375 H&H and 500-416.) I also don't spend time obsessing about copper. The whole ritual cleaning thing that some folks seem to find so necessary has proven a waste of time to me. A few wipe downs with Balistol once a year or so keeps them running nicely and very accurately.

I'd honestly never heard of "breaking in" a barrel until I hit this forum. Not sure what there is to break in...clean the thing when you get it and fire it...it's either a good accurate barrel or it isn't and can't see where shooting X rounds for a "break in" is going to make it much more or less accurate....I'd tend to lean towards the shooter getting used to it as making it more accurate than anything else.

Not sure what site you’re looking at. It still shows R8 barrels when I look it up.
I can't find them on the link I posted and the other link you posted is blocked with a password.

I'd honestly never heard of "breaking in" a barrel until I hit this forum. Not sure what there is to break in...clean the thing when you get it and fire it...it's either a good accurate barrel or it isn't and can't see where shooting X rounds for a "break in" is going to make it much more or less accurate....I'd tend to lean towards the shooter getting used to it as making it more accurate than anything else.

My groups on my 28 Nosler tightened up about 50% during the break in process. Break in is kind of a misleading term, it should be called controlled fouling lol

I dont want to speak for the business but they are not currently advertising the R8 stuff, have to call or email for info. I'm not affiliated with them so I'll let any more details be divulged by them if they choose but I think you get the idea

View attachment 327613

https://www.hornady.com/300prc#!/

The 300 PRC is an intelligently crafted 21st century magnum cartridge specifically designed to take advantage of long, heavy for caliber bullets capable of delivering the highest levels of accuracy and aerodynamic performance.

Based on the 375 Ruger cartridge case, the 300 PRC is non-belted and uses a standard .532” magnum bolt face and headspaces off the 30 degree shoulder. This results in better chamber alignment than standard belted magnum cartridges and allows for improved stacking and feeding from fixed magazines.

The 300 PRC cartridge and chamber were designed concurrently combining to provide excellent alignment and highly tuned performance. The cartridge case is designed to use common, temperature stable, magnum speed rifle powders producing extremely consistent velocity and increased barrel life compared to currently available magnum cartridges.
Hmm. 212 gr ELD x at 2860 in the PRC and 200 gr ELD x from my .300 Win Mag at 2850. And why should I care?

I dont want to speak for the business but they are not currently advertising the R8 stuff, have to call or email for info. I'm not affiliated with them so I'll let any more details be divulged by them if they choose but I think you get the idea
Purely speculation on my part, but those extra barrels would seem pretty central to Blaser's business case. A "cease and desist" order generated from an international corporation staffed with Teutonic lawyers can catch your attention.

Last edited:
Purely speculation on my part, but those extra barrels would seem pretty central to Blaser's business case. A "cease and desist" order generated from an international corporation staffed with Teutonic lawyers can catch your attention.

I've been hit with two of those types of lawyer notices over the years. My reply was, "pound sand", and then never heard another word. We're in the software industry and the big guys sometimes think they can control what bits and bytes you type into a system to do X function, which they can't so long as you are creating the code yourself and not swiping someone else's. Not sure how that would translate to what is essentially a replacement barrel for a rifle, but doubt Blaser has a patent on the rifle barrel, don't imagine anyone does. Making an aftermarket part or bolt on for things is pretty common for a lot of manufactured products, i.e. cars, motorcycles, computers, etc. If barrels were treated differently than other bolt ons or replacement parts, Remington, Winchester, Ruger, and every other manufacture would have shut down the small firms making these year ago, at least you would think they would have.

I've been hit with two of those types of lawyer notices over the years. My reply was, "pound sand", and then never heard another word. We're in the software industry and the big guys sometimes think they can control what bits and bytes you type into a system to do X function, which they can't so long as you are creating the code yourself and not swiping someone else's. Not sure how that would translate to what is essentially a replacement barrel for a rifle, but doubt Blaser has a patent on the rifle barrel, don't imagine anyone does. Making an aftermarket part or bolt on for things is pretty common for a lot of manufactured products, i.e. cars, motorcycles, computers, etc. If barrels were treated differently than other bolt ons or replacement parts, Remington, Winchester, Ruger, and every other manufacture would have shut down the small firms making these year ago, at least you would think they would have.
My gut feeling would be that I tend to agree with you but am far from an expert on patents. However, when MAP is around $3000 for something someone is selling for $1000 aftermarket, it's no surprise that they try and intimidate and it's kind of hard to blame them for trying I suppose

Did some prowling around the net. They seem to have patents pending and issued for the take down system along with the rest of the unique action itself - originally the '93 and then changed with the R8 which includes the unique barrel receiver design. They even treat it as a seperate serial numbered component. I am not Alan Dershowitz, but assuming the patents haven't expired, I suspect they have pretty solid ground on this one. When I was in my corporate life (we were a $30 billion defense giant), we aggressively protected our intellectual property - hardware and software. Won a lot more than we lost, and could at least tie the thieves up in court for years. (y)

Did some prowling around the net. They seem to have patents pending and issued for the take down system along with the rest of the unique action itself - originally the '93 and then changed with the R8 which includes the unique barrel receiver design. They even treat it as a seperate serial numbered component. I am not Alan Dershowitz, but assuming the patents haven't expired, I suspect they have pretty solid ground on this one. When I was in my corporate life (we were a $30 billion defense giant), we aggressively protected our intellectual property - hardware and software. Won a lot more than we lost, and could at least tie the thieves up in court for years. (y)
So what you're saying is order all your aftermarket R8 barrels now? :ROFLMAO:

So what you're saying is order all your aftermarket R8 barrels now? :ROFLMAO:
For sure - except I don't believe there are any after this. Should have bought that 9.3 from these guys back before Thanksgiving.

Is there any reason to believe the barrels made by Blaser are better? I’ve spoken with the gents at J Sip.

My R8 arrived today. I got the Ultimate stock (thumbhole) with a 375H&H barrel. Next will be a .300 WM barrel followed by a second R8 for my son, but I’m not sure which stock, probably the synthetic professional.
While I admit being influenced by those on this forum, I really fell in love with the rifle at SCI in 2017 and have been dreaming of it since.

And I will make another observation: a 4 person 21 day trip to Namibia this June is significantly more cost, so I might as well hunt with the preferred rifle.

I bought a J Sip and Sons barrel last year in 8mm Rem Mag. It is a good shooter but is not the quality of Blaser. After reading the comments above I looked at J Sip's website and they are not listing nor indicating Blaser barrels at all.

For sure - except I don't believe there are any after this. Should have bought that 9.3 from these guys back before Thanksgiving.

Eurooptic shows the 9.3x62 barrel in stock. For the $200+ I would rather have the Blaser factory barrel as long as it was a barrel that Blaser makes.

Last edited:
It is wonderful to be an innocent person freed from the travails barrel obsession. (y) I never go through the break-in ritual with any new rifles or barrels. Ever. Haven't had one that wouldn't do at least MOA with a load it liked in probably a decade. The R8 and S2 barrels have all been particularly accurate. Every load I use for hunting is sub-moa. (In Blaser, that now includes .257 Wby, 6.5x55, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, 2x .375 H&H and 500-416.) I also don't spend time obsessing about copper. The whole ritual cleaning thing that some folks seem to find so necessary has proven a waste of time to me. A few wipe downs with Balistol once a year or so keeps them running nicely and very accurately.

I agree with you whole heartedly on barrel break in. The only rifle I have ever broke-in was a Nosler M48 in 7x57. I followed Nosler's instructions and it is a shooter. But all of my other rifles that I own shoot well too without any kind of break-in. The only thing I can say about the Nosler is that it cleans up very easily. But then again so do some of my other rifles. Go figure

Please follow up and let us know what happens. I just can't hardly believe you had such a hard time. I had emails and phone call responses quickly and the barrels in a month. I am just wondering what must have happened. Please advise.

Well. amazing how coincidence happens. Just 10 minutes ago received this e-mail from J Sip:
"Had some major problems with your first barrel. I have since built a new one and tested it and it works great. It was Cerakoted today and is in the oven now. We will be able to get it out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

My last e-mail to them dated Nov 20, 2019 and multiple phone calls went unanswered. I contacted my credit card company yesterday to begin the refund process as there was no other option. What else can you do when no one answers and e-mails get no response? So I don't know if was this thread or the credit card company but apparently I am getting a new barrel soon. (well 120 days later).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber