R8 Custom Barrels-Dream Come True!

@Philip Glass I’m curious how you came to decide on the 6.5 PRC? When you hunt with your son, what does he use? My son (now 13) used a 6.5 CM last summer. We return to Namibia again next summer.

The PRC will have an additional 150-200fps over a CM.

Bruce, I almost agree with you. IMHO a correctly manufactured and lapped barrel needs no "running in" as you put it. However production barrels are likely to benefit from it. On this point we may have to "agree to disagree." I've watched groups tighten when following my break-in protocol.

Philip. have you received your new barrels yet? and if so, how did they shoot? I am definitely interested in this manufacturer. Thanks!

Ordered a barrel from J Sip September 15th. Deposit of 1/2 paid end of September last contact from them October 15 when they said it was almost ready to ship. They have not returned any phone calls or e-mails since November 1st. Working on getting my deposit back from the credit card company. I have an R8 with the .30-06 barrel and just received my .416 rem barrel and bolt from Mad Dog. Service was within a couple days and order shipped exactly right. Just shot the 06 this weekend and it only took 4 shots to sight in and a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yds. have not shot the .416 yet but will soon.

If you get them to answer their phone or e-mail please let me know.

Ordered a barrel from J Sip September 15th. Deposit of 1/2 paid end of September last contact from them October 15 when they said it was almost ready to ship. They have not returned any phone calls or e-mails since November 1st. Working on getting my deposit back from the credit card company. I have an R8 with the .30-06 barrel and just received my .416 rem barrel and bolt from Mad Dog. Service was within a couple days and order shipped exactly right. Just shot the 06 this weekend and it only took 4 shots to sight in and a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yds. have not shot the .416 yet but will soon.

Not what I wanted to hear but good to know nevertheless

I emailed them this morning because their site doesn't list the pricing. Had a return call 2 hours max which I missed and they left a message. Called them back and they answered and answered all the questions I had

P.M. me the phone # you used. The one I have has never been answered. (from their website) Thanks

Also wondering if anyone has gotten these barrels and how they like them

Looking into an R8 with 2 barrels and considering just buying the gun with no barrels and buying 2 J Sip barrels as it will save $2000-2500

That was my first thought, just buy their stock receiver and order barrels elsewhere....let us know how it goes if you pull the trigger....Like the Blaser R8 and the Sauer 404 but their barrel pricing is stupidly high. Not sure if this cat makes barrels for the Sauer 404, but going to ask as I’m torn between the two brands/models. Sauer does make their 404 model in a 404 Jeffery chambering. Base rifle will be a 300 WM and a 375 H&H, but still want to throw in that 404J barrel. Not much you can’t do with that trifecta.

Also wondering if anyone has gotten these barrels and how they like them

Looking into an R8 with 2 barrels and considering just buying the gun with no barrels and buying 2 J Sip barrels as it will save $2000-2500
I have .375 Ruger and 6.5 PRC and both are very accurate and I am happy with them. I got them in about a month. I am thinking of getting .300 PRC now.
Philip

@Philip Glass I’m curious how you came to decide on the 6.5 PRC? When you hunt with your son, what does he use? My son (now 13) used a 6.5 CM last summer. We return to Namibia again next summer.
My son has been using 7mm Mag and doing well with it. I was turned on the the PRC calibers at SAAM shooting school. The .300 PRC was adopted by the military after some extensive trials. The 6.5 Creedmore is great for deer and the PRC is just a little more powerful.

Philip. have you received your new barrels yet? and if so, how did they shoot? I am definitely interested in this manufacturer. Thanks!
K Man I am happy with them and plan to order more. I can't give you exact MOA but with Safari Arms ammo the .375 Ruger is very very accurate!

Please follow up and let us know what happens. I just can't hardly believe you had such a hard time. I had emails and phone call responses quickly and the barrels in a month. I am just wondering what must have happened. Please advise.

no hammer forged barrel will ever match a correctly manufactured and lapped cut rifled barrel.
and whatever crock they say about not needing running in is just that, a pot of crock.
they say these things and innocent people believe it.
bruce.

It is wonderful to be an innocent person freed from the travails barrel obsession. (y) I never go through the break-in ritual with any new rifles or barrels. Ever. Haven't had one that wouldn't do at least MOA with a load it liked in probably a decade. The R8 and S2 barrels have all been particularly accurate. Every load I use for hunting is sub-moa. (In Blaser, that now includes .257 Wby, 6.5x55, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, 2x .375 H&H and 500-416.) I also don't spend time obsessing about copper. The whole ritual cleaning thing that some folks seem to find so necessary has proven a waste of time to me. A few wipe downs with Balistol once a year or so keeps them running nicely and very accurately.

I tried to enter website and found that a PASSWORD is required. Does anyone know the password?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg