Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I just found this custom barrel manufacturer of Blaser R8 barrels. I have ordered two of them and will report on this thread how well they shoot for me. I am having a .375 Ruger and 6.5 PRC made now. They have good prices and turn around times are very good. Blaser has such an antiquated and limited selection of calibers it surprises me. So many European calibers that most of us are not interested in. The .375 Ruger with its shorter case is ideal for the Blaser action. They will not make it because they have .375 H&H and .375 Blaser which does not exist ammo wise in the US.
More to come!

https://www.jsipandsons.com/r8-barrels

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.15.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.15.53 AM.png
    997.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.15.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.15.55 AM.png
    527 KB · Views: 331

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.16.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.16.27 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 335
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.16.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.16.30 AM.png
    740 KB · Views: 330

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I just found this custom barrel manufacturer of Blaser R8 barrels. I have ordered two of them and will report on this thread how well they shoot for me. I am having a .375 Ruger and 6.5 PRC made now. They have good prices and turn around times are very good. Blaser has such an antiquated and limited selection of calibers it surprises me. So many European calibers that most of us are not interested in. The .375 Ruger with its shorter case is ideal for the Blaser action. They will not make it because they have .375 H&H and .375 Blaser which does not exist ammo wise in the US.
More to come!

Look forward to hearing how these work out. 9.3x62 or even .318 WR would be interesting. Looks like no open sights?

Last edited:

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Look forward to hearing how these work out. 9.3x62 or even .318 WR would be interesting. Looks like no open sights?
I believe open sights can be added as well as threading, fluting, spiral fluting, brakes, and more. All for less than a new Blaser barrel.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted

Attachments

• Blaser_Calibers_Bolt_Action_R8_EN.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 75

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Would you happen to know if 404 Jeff is available?
Not sure you’d have to give them a call. They will make anything that will fit the Blaser boltheads.
Philip

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
He may be a good option for our European friends as he looks to be in Germany. I wonder how many barrels he makes as Blaser has the European calibers well covered. Just a thought.
Philip

He’s Austrian and uses Austrian proof house. I’ll get in touch with him when I come back from my holidays and see if he can make 404. I’d be interested in that. R8 is available in 300RUM which if I’m not mistaken is based on 404 Jeff.

TheoR8

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Would you happen to know if 404 Jeff is available?

I have asked him that question on the BlaserBuds forum and this was his response. (y)

The 404 Jeffery is possible, I will have to open up a belted mag bolt head to the 404 and fit the extractor. Whatever barrel length and contour will work, also we can install open sights.

dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
More to come!

Congratulations, I too have a Sip barrel for my R8 in 8 Rem Mag (26") and so far I am happy with it. It shoots Remington factory ammo well but does not like the hand load I have for my other rifle so some new load development is in order.

I have two questions for you. What barrel lengths did you get and what magazine inserts are you using for each barrel. I would think the magnum insert or maybe the 9.3x62 would be fine for the .375 Ruger. For the 6.5 PRC maybe the 6.5-284 or 300WSM inserts would work, I'm not sure. Anyway just curious.

I look forward to your thoughts/results on the .375 Ruger and 6.5 PRC in the R8 platform. I have a friend who is thinking about getting the 6.5 PRC for his R8.

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, DSC, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Interesting, but sounds like the twist rate is cut and not hammer forged like the factory barrels.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Interesting, but sounds like the twist rate is cut and not hammer forged like the factory barrels.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Cut rifling is typically a slow, low volume operations and yields excellent barrels. For instance, Krieger does cut rifling. Hammer forged rifling is typically for mass production and can also produces excellent results.

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, DSC, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Is that necessarily a bad thing? Cut rifling is typically a slow, low volume operations and yields excellent barrels. For instance, Krieger does cut rifling. Hammer forged rifling is typically for mass production and can also produces excellent results.

Other then SAKO and Blaser both have hammer forged rifling and both claim no break-in is neccessary.

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
But break-in is not that big a deal IMO. You gotta clean the gun few extra times initially that’s all.

BigSteve57

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
Not a bad thing at all. I have a Krieger cut barrel on my competition .223/5.56 competition rifle. I get < 1/2 MOA accuracy from a bench with it. But there are cut barrels and then there's Krieger cut barrels; Krieger does it right.

However, I'd I'd take a hammer forged that is done right over any other. Blaser does it right and I would only buy their barrels as I have experience with Blaser barrels and I do not know enough about the other manufacturers and their processes.

REF: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ls-test-shows-how-heat-effects-barrels.50505/

How are Hammer Forged Barrels Made? And Why?
https://gatdaily.com/hammer-forged-barrels-made-2/

Hammer Forged Barrels:
http://www.vsms.org/Forum/Seite_34_forget-barrels/S34.htm

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Congratulations, I too have a Sip barrel for my R8 in 8 Rem Mag (26") and so far I am happy with it. It shoots Remington factory ammo well but does not like the hand load I have for my other rifle so some new load development is in order.

I have two questions for you. What barrel lengths did you get and what magazine inserts are you using for each barrel. I would think the magnum insert or maybe the 9.3x62 would be fine for the .375 Ruger. For the 6.5 PRC maybe the 6.5-284 or 300WSM inserts would work, I'm not sure. Anyway just curious.

I look forward to your thoughts/results on the .375 Ruger and 6.5 PRC in the R8 platform. I have a friend who is thinking about getting the 6.5 PRC for his R8.
I am getting 26” in the 6.5 with 1 in 8 twist and 24” for .375 Ruger with 1 in 12 twist. I don’t have them just yet but .300WSM mag should work for 6.5 and the .300 RUM for .375. Can’t wait to get them and try them out!

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
@Philip Glass I’m curious how you came to decide on the 6.5 PRC? When you hunt with your son, what does he use? My son (now 13) used a 6.5 CM last summer. We return to Namibia again next summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karolinasos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
raamw wrote on krish's profile.
send me your email.