Politics

Hard to believe that anyone thought that was a good idea. I’ve shot dogs that had gone feral and were tearing up livestock. Even in that situation it’s difficult. Shooting your own dog because it ruined a hunt, seriously? She may survive it in her home state, but any larger aspirations are dead.
I live rurally as well, and most of us have had an Old Yeller event. Relating such a story would have helped her. But she took an untrained rescue dog the was 14 months old on a pheasant hunt and it ruined her hunt by not behaving like a trained pointer? Then she lets it out in a farm yard on the way home and surprise surprise it takes out a couple of chickens. According to the excerpt she decided she hated the dog, took it a gravel pit and shot it. Not exactly the picture of calm reflective decision making.

I live rurally as well, and most of us have had an Old Yeller event. Relating such a story would have helped her. But she took an untrained rescue dog the was 14 months old on a pheasant hunt and it ruined her hunt by not behaving like a trained pointer? Then she lets it out in a farm yard on the way home and surprise surprise it takes out a couple of chickens. According to the excerpt she decided she hated the dog, took it a gravel pit and shot it. Not exactly the picture of calm reflective decision making.
As a friend of mine said about this incident, she "euthanized" her career.

What? No lecture about Brandon and the first dog Commander?

I guess if she would have not written about it on her book, we would have never known of this incident. I can see her having poor judgement to include this in her book, but I can also see her honesty by writing about it and dealing with the consequences. I also read that this dog snapped or tried to bite her.

From the Guardian

"Under South Dakota law, “any person owning, keeping, or harboring a dog that chases, worries, injures, or kills any poultry or domestic animal is guilty of a class two misdemeanor and is liable for damages to the owner thereof for any injury caused by the dog to any such poultry or animal.”

In her second statement, Noem said she could “understand why some people are upset about a 20-year-old story of Cricket” but added: “The fact is, South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down."

Although a coherent strategy it was perhaps not, I do believe Trump made quite some inroads (or threats) in protecting US jobs or bringing them back on US soil. He threatened with tariffs, reduction of subsidies, even towards the EU he accomplished a more balanced trade deal if I remember correctly.
I agree, he made quire a lot of threats; however, I have not seen any data to suggest that it resulted in any sort of meaningful economic gain for the US. That is the source of my disappointment.

What? No lecture about Brandon and the first dog Commander?

There's an old funny story, which I doubt is true, but funny nonetheless:

Back in the 1970s, the Dallas Cowboy's legendary coach, Tom Landry, had an open invitation from a Texas rancher to come hunt on his ranch. So Landry asked his tight ends coach, Mike Ditka, if he wanted to go hunting with him. Ditka said sure, the football season wasn't going too well and a day away from work might be exactly what they needed.

Landry and Ditka drive up to the ranch and Landry hops out of the car and knocks on the door to let the rancher know they had arrived. The rancher asked Landry if he'd do him a small favor. An old horse needed to be shot and the rancher just couldn't bring himself to do it. Landry reluctantly agreed, got a description of the horse and where it was located.

Landry walks back to the car, gets in and decides to have a little fun with Ditka. Landry told Ditka that the rancher had rescinded the offer to let them hunt, because the Cowboys were playing so bad. Landry proceeds to drive around the ranch and spots the horse that needs to be dispatched. Landry slams on the breaks, jumps out of the car, loads his rifle and tells Ditka he's mad as hell about this and shoots the horse. But before he can tell Ditka the truth, Ditka has also gotten out of the car, loaded his rifle and proceeds to shoot two other horses.

Not sure if they were ever invited back.

I simply cannot understand this thinking. Noem has done a great job in SD, she has served her country well for a long time. One silly incident and you are all ready to disqualify her? I hope you have some angels in reserve to meet all your lofty criteria and run the states or the country for you, because there seems to be no end of criticism of mere mortals for living life. As the Bible says, let he who is without blame cast the first stone.

As far as I remember, at the 1999 NATO summit, when Putin was in his infancy, new Eastern European NATO members already participated, and the Partnership for Peace program was launched for the rest. Putin's ambitions were still very far away.

"Perhaps while you are consulting your Russo-Ukrainian friends, you should also have a chat with the Poles, Czechs, Bulgarians, Hungarians, and citizens of the Baltic States who so gladly threw off the Soviet yoke when that emp NATO has been revitalized and enlarged not because of some goofy economic theory or defense contractors or lobbyists, but solely because of Vladimir Putin's strategic ambitions and mistakes".

These events, in my opinion, so compromised Yeltsin's pro-Western policy that he had to leave.

I simply cannot understand this thinking. Noem has done a great job in SD, she has served her country well for a long time. One silly incident and you are all ready to disqualify her? I hope you have some angels in reserve to meet all your lofty criteria and run the states or the country for you, because there seems to be no end of criticism of mere mortals for living life. As the Bible says, let he who is without blame cast the first stone.
I respect this point of view. Personally, I think it speaks poorly of her character and temperament. Moving past the actual act of puppy killing, the fact that she insisted on bragging about it in a book and then continued to double down on it in increasingly baffling ways speaks poorly of her critical thinking. If I were Trump, that alone would be disqualifying for VP consideration.

I agree that we all must do better about criticizing others, but she chose to put herself squarely in the public eye and invited criticism as a tactic to make her appealing to a certain type of voter. Vying for political office, especially a position as powerful as VP should come with intense scrutiny and we should seek to hold our (would-be) elected leaders to a much higher standard.

More of a lighter note thing but for those that want a laugh, look up Ron White and his joke about Tiger Woods and Dogs that kill chickens. It is pretty funny.
Had to look it up, I was not disappointed.

Some pretty solid conservatives like Buck Sexton has been calling her a fraud for a couple of years.

This is her last night responding to Jesse Waters which is about as safe a place as she could go for an interview. His lack of follow-up is not surprising, but it is not really necessary. It is a pretty pathetic look.

Sadly, she is still lying. I don't know who wrote the book for her so that she suddenly became aware of the issue so it could be corrected, but even assuming some nefarious ghost writer did it, she is the one who did the reading for the audio book that has also just been released. You would think in reading that section for a recording it might trigger a memory of whether or not she actually had confronted the dictator of North Korea - a man who has met perhaps a half dozen Western politicians and one used up basketball player.

In her spin, she is now saying she doesn't have conversations about people whom she brought up in her book as having engaged in a conversation! :rolleyes: Also, she has not been to North Korea - the DMZ is the DMZ.

I think both the initial stories and her responses do speak to character.

Last edited:
"the fact that she insisted on bragging about it in a book and then continued to double down on it"

This is my biggest issue with it. I haven't read the account of what happened, and I think you'd have to have been there to form a legit opinion. I have dealt with dogs, and there can be valid reasons. But as John (I think) said: you don't talk about it - shut your pie hole and move on. Frankly, I see a lot of pretty bad stuff relating to dogs across rural Alaska, and it's just accepted. If folks like the ASPCA ever took a stroll through villages up here, they would lose their s**t.

"one used up basketball player"

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't think the comments about her impending demise are meant to be judgmental. It's about the political liability and lack of good judgement publishing the even regarding the dog. There was nothing to gain by doing so only the lost of her political career in doing so. I come from a line of farming family, stray dangerous dogs and how they're dealt with is not something I'm unfamiliar with, though I've never killed a dog. But I sure wouldn't publish it even if I had.

It's about the optics.

The Kim Jong Un part of the story just add fuel to the fire. She's done regardless of whatever else can be said about her in a positive light.

I was reading some comments that were attributed to Trump, and his camp, about how could she do such an awful thing (killing it) and that she just didn't understand public relations. {"Trump has been "disgusted" by Noem's revelations, suggesting she has a poor grasp of "public relations." Citing unnamed sources, the report also claims Trump was asking "why would she do that?" and "what is wrong with her?"}

Be that as it may - and it might well be true; certainly it shouldn't have been in a book - I was gobsmacked at the suggestions of such by Trump, of all people. Wow. If ever a pot called a kettle black! Frankly I was more put off by his "grab them by the pussy" comment (amongst others) than I was by the idea she put down a dog that may have needed it.

• As I mentioned above, Trump initially showed signs that he could assemble a uniquely competent administration, including many political outsiders. Unfortunately, his narcissism and petulance got in the way.
  • For all his big talk and tariffs, Trump did not deliver a focused strategy capable of seriously denting China’s expanding influence or economic manipulations.
  • There did not appear to be any cohesive strategy to or success in bringing jobs back to America.
  • Trump failed to deliver necessary reforms to Medicare, though the blame is shared with the entire GOP.
  • I had hoped that his desire to be seen as a masterful dealmaker and political outsider would have led him to strike bipartisan deals, even if it meant working around party leadership. Unfortunately, his recalcitrance ensured that no such “grand compromises” ever emerged.
  • Speaking of compromises, I had expected him to at least pursue his proposal for expanding mental health access through grants to states in exchange for adopting a national right to carry.
  • While Trump was certainly much better than Biden on border issues, I was expecting a much more aggressive crackdown on illegal immigration and reform of the asylum system.
  • I had hoped that, at least when the GOP had a governing trifecta, Trump would have pursued a balanced budget and attempted to reduce the deficit. Instead, he did the opposite.
  • Perhaps it was my own naivety, but I genuinely believe that Trump would try to be a President for all Americans, and that he might even be able to unite this country like Reagan.

I was going to rebut each one of "disappointed assertions" individually with the actual facts, but what's the point? Your mind is obviously made up, and no amount of facts or evidence I produce is going to change it...

Suffice to say, I obviously disagree with most of these claims... Once again, either you are confused or in denial of the reality of Trump's accomplishments on these points. Any shortcomings or failure to deliver on his biggest agenda items were exclusively due to the overwhelming opposition and/or the lack of legislative support from both sides of the isle. Sadly, too many meaningful accomplishments that Trump got done was through executive order, and not legislation... Trump's underestimation of the level of opposition from both sides of the isle surely must be one of his biggest regrets looking back...

As far as Trump's cabinet, they were collectively an all-star line-up compared to the clown show of DEI appointments in this current Administration. Both Barr and Pompeo proved themselves as very competent performers capable of functioning independently and without intimidation from Trump... Haley, Carson, Perry, Zenke, DeVos, Haspel, Ratcliff, to name a few were all competent solid, conservative performers on Trump's Administration.

Your disappointment in regard to the pursuit of a balanced budget was never one of Trump's campaign promises. He ran on the admission that he would have to spend some money domestically especially in regard to restoring military readiness...

I'm sure it's no surprise that your recollection of Trump's border record is different than mine... Trump's policies made a significant impact on controlling the mess at the border with multiple EO's including the remain in Mexico policy, allowing ICE to deport, and ending catch & release... Unfortunately, Trump had no legislative support on this as well... If you recall accurately, early on he proposed immigration reform legislation that even included a deal for the dreamers, (which I personally vehemently disliked), that was rejected by both sides.

Lastly, Trump never ran as, or claimed he would be a unifier... He ran on the promise to make America great again by once again impowering the forgotten, hard-working men and women who felt disenfranchised by their government for the previous 8 years. He vowed to restore the belief success could be achieved through hard work and personal merit, rather than by equity, diversity and identity politics... That's the absolutely LAST thing the liberals in this country wanted... He never ran to appease them. He ran to fight them and the radical, nonsensical, destructive ideologies that they have been trying to institute...

Regardless of how you and I feel about it, the incident as she reported in her book turned off many voters and they are the ones that count.

Her editors, agent, and political advisors urged her not to include the story in her book but she insisted as, in her mind, it showed her toughness and that she wasn't "namby bamby".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Link45

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?