Hi from Jim, the guy who dreams of going to Africa....

Jim Golden

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd mistakenly put this in the wrong place. Jerome, thankfully, told me the right link :)

My name is Jim Golden, and it has been my dream for my 53 years to go to Africa. I'm an aerospace engineer, a pilot, and a half decent machinist and rifle fan boy. I built a .375 Weatherby on a Winchester 1917 Enfield Action with a 30" Douglas barrel (I am from WV and Douglas is OUR company) and it chrono's a 300 gr at 2889 ft/s. About 5580 ft-lbs. I want to take a dagga boy with it. And a brown bear. I'm looking at bigger rifles as well....although I think my .375 would probably drop about anything. It's got an A-Square stock with a 16 ounce mercury recoil reducer....it's surprisingly well mannered...although I only shoot it from the standing position. I'm thinking about building another one, also on a P17 action, but in .460 Weatherby or .500 A-Square. Also looking at the .458 Lott. Anyway, have been lurking on here for awhile and finally decided to respond to a post, but I'm now lost since I spent a half hour setting up an account :) Happy to join you all

A-Square had excellent ideas and products, but seemed to be always in and out of business. So, I built my own Hannibal but with a longer barrel. It's a beast. But, I can shoot it very accurately and have a few hundred rounds through it. Anything a 5550 ft-lb .375 will rock with a .300gr A-Frame, I'm ready for. Maybe that's all I need. But I know a lot of you guys like bigger calibers.

On edit after I found out I'd posted it wrong....I'm still dubious of the controlled round feed vs. push feed argument. But, I do see where under stress a fellow could short stroke a cartridge and cause a jam with a push feed. But, Roy Weatherby never seemed to have this problem.... Well, my current big gun (to me) was built on a Winchester 1917 action and is forged beauty. IF I could find another like it, that is what I'd build my .460 on. I have an MPI stocks replica of the Coil Check stock and it really does work. Col. Alphin knows his stuff. I really like the Enfield action. But the Mauser is excellent as well. Anyway, the next argument is .500 Nitro double vs. .460 Weatherby Enfield :) But for now, I'd like to use my super .375 on a Dagga Boy and am looking at going to South Africa. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Glad to meet you all.

-Jim

Welcome to AH! I think your choice of an A-Frame is a good one and at that velocity will put a big hurt on a buffalo.

G'day from Australia.

I hope you make your African dream come true.

Welcome Jim;
Your 375 laser beam will work wonders on a buffalo. Just use a very good bullet so it doesn't blow apart on impact;) 300 grain A Frames are highly recommended.

Practice shooting off sticks with quick follow up shots. If you can, shoot at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards transitioning from one to the other and back again cycling the bolt and shooting in quick succession. If you can do that quickly, and with a high amount of adrenaline pumping... and not jamb the rifle, I think you can safely take it on a buffalo hunt;)

Please post some pictures of your rifle:)

Welcome to AfricaHunting. Quit screwing around with all those guns and take that 375 on safari! It’s plenty of rifle. I know a guy who’s shot over 350 buffalo and 90+% of them with a wildcat nearly identical to your gun.
be sure to post a report when you return.

Welcome to AH!

welcome welcome welcome

pm sent

Welcome to AH Jim! Glad you found us, have fun exploring the site.

Jim, I can certainly help you realise your Dream of Africa please feel free to email me. info@spearsafaris.com.
Once we establish contact ill give yo Amy views of the armoury.
Cheers
Ernest

Welcome to the AH community!!
my very best always!
Jaco

Welcome aboard!

Howdy from Texas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertbuisk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross