375 more than I need?

Hey, with all this "climate change" and "global warming", who knows when some frozen eggs up in the far north will hatch out to be tyrannosaurus rex? :E Excited:Yep, you better get one.

Hey, with all this "climate change" and "global warming", who knows when some frozen eggs up in the far north will hatch out to be tyrannosaurus rex? :E Excited:Yep, you better get one.

Well, that sounds more like a job for a .470 NE! Better buy a double to be prepared for that event. Though I suppose a Ruger No 1 would do in a pinch...

Ygg welcome aboard. I too live in Michigan. Just for giggles why do you think a 30-06 is necessary for our whitetails? They fall just as quickly to my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. About 40 years ago I started dreaming of a possible Elk hunt and began acquiring suitable rifles. To date that possible Elk hunt has yet to materialize but the acquisition of suitable rifles continues. In short, there is no end of answers to the old question of "what if …."
What I can tell you is that hunting Africa is cheaper than hunting Elk. Especially once you factor in the probability of success. You are aiming your sights too low son. Think Africa, Africa, Africa.
Welcome To AH Ygg. Get the .375. You just have to have the mindset to get to Africa. As far as it’s use; I bought my .375 Sako because of a good deal back in the 1980’s when I was in my 20’s. Tangent to that, ever since I was 15, I dreamed of going to Africa for a Cape buffalo. In the late ‘80’s I took the . 375 on an elk hunt, just because I had one and wanted to use it. A 270gr Hornady at 175 yds did the job.
Although not needed for anything other than brown bear in NorthAmerica, it still is a reasonable choice for anything bigger than deer.
As Shootist43 stated, Africa is affordable and you WILL take animals. Last year, the guy I deer hunt with, went to Alaska on a grizzly hunt. $17,000 and didn’t see a bear in nine days. Slept in a tent with sleeping bags and ate what the guide cooked.
While he was in Alaska, I went to Namibia. My brother went along as an observer. Cost of the ten day hunt, including my brother: $7000. I shot nine animals for $9000 (trophy fees) and took three cull animals at no cost. I slept in a permanent tent with a concrete floor, flush toilet, tiled walk-in shower, an actual bed with an electric blanket, ate food cooked by a gourmet chef, had my trophies skinned and salted. All of this with the backdrop of Africa! In fact the last evening, we drove out to the sand dunes and had dinner cooked there. They set up a table, we had wine with stemware, eland steaks, fresh baked bread and salad. All while watching the African sun setting.
You NEED to go to Africa. It is truly a special place.

I am in a similar position as you in looking at 375's. I will probably not hunt dangerous game during my lifetime due to being an older expecting father - certainly not for the next 20-25 years.

So the question is save your money / buy something more usable or buy a 375 that you want but don't need.

I have been looking and you can find a 375 h&h used for $700 if you aren't picky about brand or synthetic. You can also buy a brand new weatherby 375 h&h for 700.

Since this is just a want, I would probably just shoot open sights. Maybe you go deer hunting or even black bear hunting with it and take select shots.

As far as h&h vs ruger, I am planning on h&h. Federal ammo is 45 dollars and 5 dollar rebates in the fall. That is good enough for my needs.

Good luck

You can't come on an African hunting forum and admit that you probably won't go hunting in Africa!
That's worse than admitting you're a vegan!

Get the .375 and start planning!

I have used my 30-06 with great success in Africa and it is perfect for there and also at home in the UK.

But I too came across a .375 that I didn't want or need at that precise moment in time, however it's now in my gun safe because I will want it and I will need it and it was a good deal on the exact rifle I have dreamed of for years.

I never dreamt that I would hunt in Africa but I've been four times now and am looking forward my fifth trip with my .375.

Get that gun and look at the deals offered here and ask yourself if you would rather be in the damp woods of Michigan chasing a Whitetail or in the African bush with the sun on your back surrounded by the exotic wildlife you only see on TV.......

You know you want to.

You and this damn 6.5x55.... . You got me wondering .. .....:E Doh:
:D

Try it, you'll like it. Those old Swedes can be safely loaded to yield 2775 FPS with a 140 Gr. bullet. Available, cheap and accurate as all get out. What is not to like?

Try it, you'll like it. Those old Swedes can be safely loaded to yield 2775 FPS with a 140 Gr. bullet. Available, cheap and accurate as all get out. What is not to like?

They have the ammunition in the Gunshop I use here......think @PeteG was considering it at one time...

They have the ammunition in the Gunshop I use here......think @PeteG was considering it at one time...
Still thinking about it. For a small plains game rifle I think it’s hard to beat. Low recoil, good alternative to the 300 or 333. More suitable on bigger plains game than the 243. I think you definitely need one

@Ygg , don´t listen to these guys, they will have you spend your hard earned money on a .375HH, or even bigger, and then go hunt in Africa.

They´re all a bad influence :E Rofl: :E Lol:

Still thinking about it. For a small plains game rifle I think it’s hard to beat. Low recoil, good alternative to the 300 or 333. More suitable on bigger plains game than the 243. I think you definitely need one

Wrong way round pete.....you need one.....you also know you want one.......(y):D

What kind of advice did you expect on an African Hunting forum?
Of course you should get a 375 H&H.
375 H&H is to Africa what the 30-06 is to America, everybody has one.
It's also your first step to big-bore addiction.
Easy fellas, I didn't call the 375 a big bore...just stating that it's a stepping stone to the 40 caliber club.
After two trips to Africa, you will be thinking of a 458WM or maybe even a 470NE...oooh was that a 5o5 Gibbs I just saw on GB?
Welcome to the dark side.
Welcome to AH and all of the enablers here to assist you with your new found addiction.

Cheers.

If you need to drop an elk on a knife edged ridge, to keep it from tumbling a hundred feet or more and having to be carried back up, then yes--you NEED that 375!!

@Ygg , don´t listen to these guys, they will have you spend your hard earned money on a .375HH, or even bigger, and then go hunt in Africa.

They´re all a bad influence :E Rofl: :E Lol:

I am beginning to suspect the very same thing. This may not be a completely unbiased crowd. :barefoot::A Hold Breath:

I'm aware of the straight walled rifles being used in our area but have never talked to anyone that got a deer with theirs. Rifled Slug guns are hard to beat under a hundred yards. I have and use my Excalibur Matrix 355 for more hours in any given year than I do my rifles

My 355 filled a couple freezers this year. She is my go to hunting partner. I have other crossbows but I think the 355 is the perfect deer x-bow. I was gifted a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt this year from the wife. One of those beautiful brass ones. I cast some bullets using a Lee 452-255-RF and loaded them over 9 grains Unique. This old straight cartridge accounted for 2 deer this year. No reason to discount a straight wall and it really felt cool casting and hunting with this gun. I put a ghost ring on it and with my old eyes I would limit it to about 75 yrds or so. Maybe more when I get some time behind the trigger. I guess I love the equipment as much as the experience.

As for hunting Africa I am rapidly getting the bug. The wife was instructed to play Lotto tonight so please wish me luck. If I win enough millions I will buy each and every one of you helpful gentlemen a new rifle.

Best if all, if you win millions we will have ideas sufficient to its full commitment. Have you heard of bongo or lord derby eland... how about mountain nyala? And certainly you will want to pursue these noble beasts with bespoke rifles which we will help you spec out... heck, we’ll even call Rigby and grease the skids for you. There is no possible windfall that we cannot attend to with grace and style!

If I win enough millions I will buy each and every one of you helpful gentlemen a new rifle.
Some people just say it, you put it in writing...scary.
I'm all in.
Good luck.

If you want it, get it. Treat yourself. There are plenty of guys who use the .375 on elk and moose and bear. Can you use it on a deer sure, maybe a little big maybe not. Life’s to short if you want it get it.

Best if all, if you win millions we will have ideas sufficient to its full commitment. Have you heard of bongo or lord derby eland... how about mountain nyala? And certainly you will want to pursue these noble beasts with bespoke rifles which we will help you spec out... heck, we’ll even call Rigby and grease the skids for you. There is no possible windfall that we cannot attend to with grace and style!

You Sir are a word smith and poet. Mountain Nyala! Lord Durby Eland! I have no idea what these critters are but you have kindled a fire in my breast! Your kind offer to manage my fortune is greatly appreciated and you will get 2 rifles and box of real Michigan home cooked venison pasties for your efforts.

Reactions: WAB
I was you three years ago and I had a chance to pick up a 375 Ruger at a very good price so I got it. My top of the bucket list is to go back to Africa and get the Cape buffalo.
I am going to take it out on my next Rifle elk hunt. It is a little heavier than my Ruger #1 in 300 WM but just to use it in a hunt.
I don’t load so I have found some 270 grain BT and sighted it in at 200 yds 8 inches low at 300 yards.
Here is the Rifle and a day at the range. Low right shot was first coming from 100 yd range next three were after change.

View attachment 272236 View attachment 272237

Nice shooting and a beautiful gun. I have one in the 30-06 and am seriously considering pairing it with a 375. Although.... the 416 is $30 less!!!! Get thee behind me 416! Tempt me not! :E Horrified:

You Sir are a word smith and poet. Mountain Nyala! Lord Durby Eland! I have no idea what these critters are but you have kindled a fire in my breast! Your kind offer to manage my fortune is greatly appreciated and you will get 2 rifles and box of real Michigan home cooked venison pasties for your efforts.

We of course have only your best interests at heart. What man is complete without the dreams of adventures to come?!

Nice shooting and a beautiful gun. I have one in the 30-06 and am seriously considering pairing it with a 375. Although.... the 416 is $30 less!!!! Get thee behind me 416! Tempt me not! :E Horrified:

You do know the .30-06 and the .375 is the classic pairing, right? You’d be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t give your .30-06 his big brother...

That’s not to say you shouldn’t end up with something that’s .40 caliber or higher, though. I’ve got a desire for something in .450/400 Nitro Express or .404 Jeffery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg