375 more than I need?

I think that you will find the CZ and M70 slightly more consistent with the old ‘98 design. This is not flash, it is pure working tool, an old battle rifle design. The spring loaded button for extraction in the M77, I’m sure is fine, but it introduces an unnecessary potential weakness.

I have a 375 Ruger that has only hunted bear and whitetail deer and groundhog it does all well. I use a 200gr GS Customs bullet that leaves the barrel at 3212fps I have shot 1 deer a small doe at 427 yards at that range the bullet was still functioning perfectly. Go for the 375 it’s a fun caliber with unlimited uses as well as just plain old high on the cool factor.
The problem is once you get the 375 and love it your heart will turning towards something that reads .4+ and the good folks here at AH will be more than happy to”push you in the right direction”. Great bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge.
Shawn

Shawn,
Might I ask which Ruger you have?
Thanks,
Mike

I think that you will find the CZ and M70 slightly more consistent with the old ‘98 design. This is not flash, it is pure working tool, an old battle rifle design. The spring loaded button for extraction in the M77, I’m sure is fine, but it introduces an unnecessary potential weakness.

I thought that the M70 also had a spring loaded button for the floorplate similar to the Ruger. Am I mistaken? I have held but never used one and the button for the floorplate I am sure was there. On my Ruger GG you have to want to depress that thing - with a vengeance. If it pops open its because you forgot to shut it I'm thinking. Some people have actually complained how hard it is to actuate but personally I want it that way.

As for the CZ I have just about zero knowledge of these guns. All I have ever done is read the cut sheet and looked at the pictures online. They are pretty, thats a fact. I have never even run across one in the local gun stores but that funky drop stock, trigger and different safety that I am used to is what put them to the bottom of my list. Not that there is anything wrong with these features, and they might even be preferable to the M70 & M77s, its simply that they are 'different'.

Cabbalas about an hour from me has a M70 Safari & a M77 African in stock I am told, so perhaps I'll see if they will let me fondle them later today. If they have a CZ I will be sure to check it out. Right now I am just collecting information because I know things I don't know and most likely don't even know about the things I don't know about!
:A Argue::E Dancing::A Camping:

I have three Rugers. My 375 is a M77 Hawkeye, a 300 WM Ruger #1 and a Ruger 204 that is a nail driver in a custom thumb hole stock this one has a bipod on it that I shoot off sitting.
Stay with the Ruger 375:)

01A249AD-257B-4030-9E9C-743FBCE35694.jpeg

Reactions: Ygg
The spring loaded button for extraction in the M77, I’m sure is fine, but it introduces an unnecessary potential weakness.

WAB some older rulers have the button ejector, but my m-77 ruger 375 alaskan has a fixed mechanical ejector on it. pretty bullet proof. not saying its better or worse than the CZ but it works positively

Reactions: WAB
Well I went to Cabbalas and got to fondle the rifles.
They had a M77 African 375 Ruger and a M70 Alaskan 375 H&H. Both walnut and blued so they were ascetically very similar. I wish the M70 was a Safari so I could do apples for apples but the sights and action are identical, if I am correct, so all I needed was to picture an ebony forend.

Although the 70's bolt was a bit less 'sloppy' the 77 was by no means bothersome. Especially when you consider that a Mauser bolt was built with play for a purpose, as were the 1911's. The Winchester was more smooth and the bolt was jeweled but the Ruger ran fine, (at least with no cartridge in it), and I have a mill in the garage so I could easily jewel the bolt if I so desired. The Ruger was used but it looked like it had never been fired. I say this because perhaps the bolt had been worked. Both bolts locked up nice and tight. No play. The 70's bolt is fancier without a doubt, although it appeared to be a two piece unit whereas the Ruger is a solid unit. You could fend off a irate ANTIFA crowd with the Ruger bolt with no fear of damaging it.

The safety on both is similar enough to be unremarkable with the Winchester being a bit more elegant and having a larger surface area. In a pinch the 70's greater surface area might be nice especially with gloves in the cold.

Ruger has scope rings, threaded barrel, break and break replacement doo-hickey and thread protector included. Nice for practice and about $200-300 if you wanted to add them to the M70. The Winchester seems to have a better butt pad but without shooting it I cant tell.

As for sights I preferred the Ruger. I found it much easier to shoulder the rifle and get the sight fixed with it than I was able to with the Winchester. This is due to both construction and visibility. The Ruger's sights are just THERE, big and bright.

Fit and finish were really very close. I expected side by side for the Winchester to be the clear winner but this was not really the case. They are both very nice but not overly poofy if you know what I mean. As for heft they were close enough that I did not notice the difference. Without any coaching my 13 yr old told me he liked the feel and look of the 77 better. :E No Expression: Could not say why, he just did.

For me the Ruger felt better but I do own a Scout and Guide Gun so the action and stocks are familiar and could easily make me biased towards the Ruger.

This said I would be proud to own either rifle and now the only considerations are cost, cartridge and name (pedigree). The Winchester is now FN and no matter how good it is the fact that it is no longer Winchester USA means that the pedigree is tarnished in the eyes of purists. Not to insult anyone, but that is simply a fact when the angle of ones snoot is taken to measure. This I found that out when I became the proud owner of a Winchester 94 30-30, post 64, and realized it just did not measure up for the cool kids. I love the gun but being post 64 means it's just not in the club and waving it about will only garner smirks and catcalls from my betters. So if pedigree was a deciding factor for me I would have to get a pre-64, otherwise I would always feel I had missed the boat. This said the 375 H&H has the pedigree and apparently deserves it. + 1 Winchester.

So now I have to decide on the H&H vs the Ruger, but if the M77 was in H&H there would no decision between the two at this point. I just liked the M77 better. Did not see any CZ550's. :( Actually, the only thing I am really considering now is African VS Guide Gun as I see no real downside to the Ruger in most practical terms.

Whoooo...that was long winded.

Thanks guys, you are a source of inspiration and most excellent co-signers on my flights of fancy. Without your guidance I might have decided to squirrel away my money or perhaps tell the wife to buy a new chair for the living room. Silly me.

Last edited:
The long and arduous debate is now over.
I went and pulled the trigger on a Ruger African 375. I really like the guide gun but I already have one of those in 30 06 and the African was just so pretty.
I also had him send me two boxes of 300 grain dgs. With turkey season coming up I'll go ahead and shoot off a box or 2 of 3 and 1/2 in 12 gauge magnums and then I should be primed for the 375.
Thanks with all the help and suggestions on spending my money guys, I couldn't have done it without you.
well I'm sure I could have it just wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun.

Congrats on the new purchase. We all "struggle" with which rifle to purchase once a caliber has been decided upon. So don't feel like the "Lone ranger" in that regard. Re. the "new" Winchesters, I've recently purchased two of them. Both of which started out as 375 H & H(s). One was converted into a 404 Jeffery. Both rifles are designed to have scopes put on them so I never paid any attention as to how the iron sights lined up or looked. With the coming of spring and hopefully some better shooting weather, perhaps we can schedule an outing to the Sharron Valley Shooting Range.

Congrats on the new purchase. We all "struggle" with which rifle to purchase once a caliber has been decided upon. So don't feel like the "Lone ranger" in that regard. Re. the "new" Winchesters, I've recently purchased two of them. Both of which started out as 375 H & H(s). One was converted into a 404 Jeffery. Both rifles are designed to have scopes put on them so I never paid any attention as to how the iron sights lined up or looked. With the coming of spring and hopefully some better shooting weather, perhaps we can schedule an outing to the Sharron Valley Shooting Range.

That sounds like a good time sir!

Enjoy your new toy and let us know how it shoots!

1.) Congratulations are in order!
2.) That post is worthless without pictures!

NO toy equals no pictures!
Hopefully I'll have it by mid next week and then I'll take a few pictures coming out of the box.
Most likely be a few weeks or a month or so after that before I get a chance to shoot it. Probably when I go turkey hunting.
I think it'll be a year or so before I bother with a scope cuz this is a hope chest gun right now.
But I promise I'll sit on the couch with it and watch ghost and the darkness.

With turkey season coming up I'll go ahead and shoot off a box or 2 of 3 and 1/2 in 12 gauge magnums and then I should be primed for the 375.
Congratulations.

Just so you know, my turkey gun (Benelli SBE2) kicks worse with 3" turkey loads than my 375.
You will be just fine.

Congratulations.

Just so you know, my turkey gun (Benelli SBE2) kicks worse with 3" turkey loads than my 375.
You will be just fine.

That is good to hear.
I ordered the 300 Hornady because I got it for 48 a box which seemed below normal cost. Most places carrying it listed it over 60.
I do need to find a good practice load which equates to cheep! Perhaps casting for 'plinking' is a good way to go.
For final siteing I would always use my hunting cartridge and I see no reason to cheep out there. Heck, my crossbow bolts cost me $20 every time I lose one and that's for deer. Truth be told they seem to get busted up every time. If I ever get a chance to hunt a big boy what's 3-5 bucks a bullet in the grand scheme of things?

I'm not a big fan of Hornaday ammo, but from what I understand they have fixed the problems with the DGX bullet by bonding it.
You may be getting it at a discounted rate because it's the old non-bonded bullet.
Use the Hornaday to do whatever break-in procedure you choose since you have it.

You should probably get a variety of ammo and see what shoots best, three shot groups from a bench and cold bore.
I went through Swift AF, Nosler PT, Nosler AB, Norma ORYX, Barnes TSX and a variety of weights.
Took about a month with two trips a week to the range to get it worked out for me.
You will know when your rifle likes the load, it's obvious.
Good luck.

Post pics when you get the rifle.

I'm not a big fan of Hornaday ammo, but from what I understand they have fixed the problems with the DGX bullet by bonding it.
You may be getting it at a discounted rate because it's the old non-bonded bullet.
Use the Hornaday to do whatever break-in procedure you choose since you have it.

You should probably get a variety of ammo and see what shoots best, three shot groups from a bench and cold bore.
I went through Swift AF, Nosler PT, Nosler AB, Norma ORYX, Barnes TSX and a variety of weights.
Took about a month with two trips a week to the range to get it worked out for me.
Good luck.

Sounds like an investment of time and money. I'll do both. No hurry getting the load down as I've got time. Thanks for the heads up on the DXG. I think your most likely right.

Good luck.

Midway USA has free shipping right now so I jumped on 50 of the swift a-frames at 300 grains.
After I shoot up the hornady I'll have 40 pieces of brass and 50 bullets so I can start playing with a load.
Anyone got any suggestions for powder and charge for the 375 Ruger under a 300 grain swift a frame? RL-17 looks popular but around here I'd have to special-order it.
Thanks

Nothing fancy just a Mossberg Patriot it shoots well and cost was low.
Shawn

I was looking at that one as well.
Not a bad gun especially for the price. I got two Mossberg's and they both been fine shotguns. I had pretty much sold myself on a Mauser action just because. My rifle is supposed to be delivered Monday or Tuesday I'm looking forward to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,