375 more than I need?

Ygg

AH member
Reaction score
Media
The honest truth is I will most likely never hunt anywhere but in the US. This is due to circumstance rather than desire. This said elk, moose and possibly a bear are about the largest game I see myself getting a chance to go after. So far Michigan whitetail are my 'big' game. If my situation allowed for it I would love to go to Africa or Australia but if that opportunity arrises the gun will be part and parcel. With that in mind I have currently have everything I have any desire for up to and including a 30-06.

Issue is, I am drooling over a 375 H&H or Ruger just because.

With the above hunt list would any of you opt for the 375 over the 30-06 if you did not already own one?
If so, what NA game would you use the 375 in favor of the 30-06.

I certainly don't need one but I am attempting to put together a solid list of excuses which provides proof to the wife and myself that in fact I do need one.

About the only animal in North America that you would “need” a 375 for is a brown bear. Of course, you could use the 375 on other game animals too, but it’s “over kill.” My Elk did not know the difference between being killed with my 308 v 300 Win Mag. That said if you want one buy one.

I certainly don't need one but I am attempting to put together a solid list of excuses which provides proof to the wife and myself that in fact I do need one.

Don’t have one yet due to budgetary constraints but this line of reasoning has worked with my wife.

“Listen honey, there’s bears here and I’m going to be in the woods with them. And yes, my .270 could kill a bear but when I’m faced with something 400lbs and willing to eat me, wouldn’t you want me to have something that would STOP it and not just kill it after it’s already mauled me?”

She already knows not hunting is not in the equation. We began dating with the statement that I hunted before her and I will hunt after her.

I say Go for it. the 375 with 235g Barnes TSX is a great bullet for anything up to brown bear and moose. Tell her if she really loves you she needs to let you have all the protection you can get.

Need is such a strong word...

Seriously, if you ever hunt elk on public land you will want him to drop to the shot. If not you may find someone else’s tag hanging on him. The ‘06 will kill an elk, the .375 will drop him where he stands.

Shot my cow elk on AZ public land this past December about 10 minutes before sunset. Like @WAB noted above the elk didn’t take a single step and dropped immediately. It was nice not to have to track her in the dark.

You gents are awesome! My happiness and my safety against vile and unwholesome critters seeking my dimise. These are excellent talking points .

The idea of dropping that critter before he skates into the the arms and belly of some private land owner with a keep out sign is also supurb.

"Hun, just imagine I drop several grand a week into chasing Bullwinkle and he up and wanders off into nomans land when I could have got him. What a waste of time, money and emotion. How sad to think of the waste. If only I had used the proper rifle."

This is good stuff. I am convinced it would be silly and unresponsible of me to not have a 375 'just in case'. Kind of like a kitchen fire extinguisher.

Ygg welcome aboard. I too live in Michigan. Just for giggles why do you think a 30-06 is necessary for our whitetails? They fall just as quickly to my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. About 40 years ago I started dreaming of a possible Elk hunt and began acquiring suitable rifles. To date that possible Elk hunt has yet to materialize but the acquisition of suitable rifles continues. In short, there is no end of answers to the old question of "what if …."
What I can tell you is that hunting Africa is cheaper than hunting Elk. Especially once you factor in the probability of success. You are aiming your sights too low son. Think Africa, Africa, Africa.

Get you a .375 HH Ygg! This is the most do it all caliber ever made. Download it and hunt all the whitetails you want, or hunt elk at 300 yards or brown bear.....or cape buffalo! Do you need it to hunt deer and elk? NO, but that is not why you want it!

You gents are awesome! My happiness and my safety against vile and unwholesome critters seeking my dimise. These are excellent talking points .

The idea of dropping that critter before he skates into the the arms and belly of some private land owner with a keep out sign is also supurb.

"Hun, just imagine I drop several grand a week into chasing Bullwinkle and he up and wanders off into nomans land when I could have got him. What a waste of time, money and emotion. How sad to think of the waste. If only I had used the proper rifle."

This is good stuff. I am convinced it would be silly and unresponsible of me to not have a 375 'just in case'. Kind of like a kitchen fire extinguisher.

We are a helpful lot, particularly when it come to spending our friends money. Welcome aboard!

Get your 375 you will never regret it. Besides with the winter you are having I think that the mastodons will start hatching in Canada and crashing across the border and your neighbourhood and house will need protecting. Just saying a man needs to be prepared:A Samurai:

Shootist43 I had no idea Africa was less expensive than elk. I need to do some research it seems .
Actually I have not yet hunted with the ought 6 I just have it for somewhere - someday. Living in the shotgun zone and having two hunting locations here I use a 355 Excalibur, muzzleloader, 45 Henry or shotgun. Depends on the mood of the day and the particular time and location.

Decisions...
Winchester M70 or Ruger. I know the HH has history and availability but it seems that most who have used the Ruger feel it is also a fine cartridge. My 30-06 is a Ruger Guide gun and I also have a Ruger Scout in 450BM I just bought, (going to try it hunting deer this year because I can down here in the lower), I'm thinking the Ruger might just make sense as all three actions would operate the same .
I do wonder if the cartridge is here to stay but at 300 bucks less than the HH that equals about 120 rounds and the resulting brass. Other than availability does the 375 R really have any downsides? Seems nearly everyone reloads for these calibers anyhoo....so is this really much of an issue?

I live in Colorado and hunt in the mountains. I wouldn’t carry a heavy 375 for elk. I’ve taken 17 elk. About half with the 30-06 and the other half a 300WM. They never new the difference. Unless you are young and want to be “macho” carrying a heavy backpack and rifle, save your energy to make 5+ trips out with your elk. JME

That said, if you want a 375, go get one. Sight it in with 300gr quality loads, then do nothing but shoot off of sticks. You’ll be ready for that first Africa hunt which, if you keep reading AH, you’ll be going on. Then, your second, 3rd, etc Africa adventures! JMO&E

Good luck in your decision!

The real question is not do you need a 375 but which one to get.

Hunting Africa is much cheaper than a guided Elk. They are so much cheaper I've stopped looking at Elk hunts all together and focus on Africa.

Brand is a personal preference. I grew up with Winchesters and Remingtons. Ruger in that regard is a "Johnny come lately." Do you ever go on Gunbroker? Used 375(s) are available almost constantly. I reload so the cost of ammo is a moot point. Although I live in Southeast Michigan I hunt near Hubbard Lake. I'm aware of the straight walled rifles being used in our area but have never talked to anyone that got a deer with theirs. Rifled Slug guns are hard to beat under a hundred yards. I have and use my Excalibur Matrix 355 for more hours in any given year than I do my rifles. The knock on the Ruger 375(s) is the availability of ammo. The majority of which is Hornady. In Africa it is available in the major towns only. 375 H & H on the other hand is available everywhere with a good selection of bullet weights as well. Remember that cheaper is seldom better.

The honest truth is I will most likely never hunt anywhere but in the US. This is due to circumstance rather than desire. This said elk, moose and possibly a bear are about the largest game I see myself getting a chance to go after. So far Michigan whitetail are my 'big' game. If my situation allowed for it I would love to go to Africa or Australia but if that opportunity arrises the gun will be part and parcel. With that in mind I have currently have everything I have any desire for up to and including a 30-06.

Issue is, I am drooling over a 375 H&H or Ruger just because.

With the above hunt list would any of you opt for the 375 over the 30-06 if you did not already own one?
If so, what NA game would you use the 375 in favor of the 30-06.

I was you three years ago and I had a chance to pick up a 375 Ruger at a very good price so I got it. My top of the bucket list is to go back to Africa and get the Cape buffalo.
I am going to take it out on my next Rifle elk hunt. It is a little heavier than my Ruger #1 in 300 WM but just to use it in a hunt.
I don’t load so I have found some 270 grain BT and sighted it in at 200 yds 8 inches low at 300 yards.
Here is the Rifle and a day at the range. Low right shot was first coming from 100 yd range next three were after change.

C13AAF63-B6EF-4ADB-9A1B-21CC108FF7CC.jpeg
B729EF6A-1742-41A5-AC56-743BCC684081.jpeg

FWIW if you can afford an Alaskan or Canadian bear hunt.. you can afford an African PG hunt.. No problem.. Same goes for a guided moose hunt..

If youre talking DIY thats a little different.. but you might be surprised how affordable a decent PG hunt can be...

A .375 would serve you well I think.. its a great bear caliber.. and can certainly do its magic on elk and moose as well..

and if/when you ever decide to take the plunge and head to Africa, you will already have a rifle in an outstanding caliber for everything from the tiny ten to cape buffalo..

Ygg welcome aboard. I too live in Michigan. Just for giggles why do you think a 30-06 is necessary for our whitetails? They fall just as quickly to my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. About 40 years ago I started dreaming of a possible Elk hunt and began acquiring suitable rifles. To date that possible Elk hunt has yet to materialize but the acquisition of suitable rifles continues. In short, there is no end of answers to the old question of "what if …."
What I can tell you is that hunting Africa is cheaper than hunting Elk. Especially once you factor in the probability of success. You are aiming your sights too low son. Think Africa, Africa, Africa.

You and this damn 6.5x55.... . You got me wondering .. .....:E Doh:

Oh and @Ygg just go buy the 375......i would go bigger ....but that's only because as @Royal27 says I don't acknowledge it's existence . .. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg