375 more than I need?

You do know the .30-06 and the .375 is the classic pairing, right? You’d be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t give your .30-06 his big brother...

So I have read. I suppose it would be uncouth to ignore tradition.

You gents are awesome! My happiness and my safety against vile and unwholesome critters seeking my dimise. These are excellent talking points .

The idea of dropping that critter before he skates into the the arms and belly of some private land owner with a keep out sign is also supurb.

"Hun, just imagine I drop several grand a week into chasing Bullwinkle and he up and wanders off into nomans land when I could have got him. What a waste of time, money and emotion. How sad to think of the waste. If only I had used the proper rifle."

This is good stuff. I am convinced it would be silly and unresponsible of me to not have a 375 'just in case'. Kind of like a kitchen fire extinguisher.
Tell her honey I need 375. Tell her the animals out there are getting stronger, they shrugged off 30 caliber bullets like they were mosquitoes. even the game biologists don’t understand what’s going on. They are recommending that you carry a big rifle for black bears, at least a 375. I know you want me to be safe and I want to be safe so I can be home every night to see you, the woman I love. If I get a 375 I won’t walk through the woods fearing the animals anymore, they will fear me.

My first thought was "ask if she wants you to return from the hunt? "Those bears are killers.
These new found friends have said it all. Free guns got them thinking of ways to convince your wife,
Assuming that you are the bread winner its cheap life insurance.
I checked in to convince myself i need a .375H&H if the shop can get another at the advertised special price.
I need one too. All the research ive done supports that is i classic and versatile cartidge that will kill anything on the planet. It is legal for DG and has great results with quality projectiles due to penetration, Its also suitable for plains game and when you master it then you can justify something bigger for close quarters encounters so its not like you cant build a case for the next one.

Ygg, after you purchase your 375, you'll have to take it to the range and let us know how it shoots.

Reactions: Ygg
You guys are all super geniuses!
These posts have provided me with enough ammunition to take on a communist invasion. I'll be just like Patrick swayze in Red Dawn.
Your logic is impeccable and your propositions are bulletproof.

Ygg, after you purchase your 375, you'll have to take it to the range and let us know how it shoots.
I see the decision is made for me. : )
My brother's got some property out in Jackson maybe I'll bring it by and tell him it's my new 270 and let him shoot it.

I'll be just like Patrick swayze in Red Dawn.
Easy there big fella, Patrick Swayze's character dies at the end of that movie.
May want to reconsider to Val Kilmer in "Ghost and the Darkness".
At least there is an African tie-in, and he lives...quite the bonus I think.

Reactions: WAB
Easy there big fella, Patrick Swayze's character dies at the end of that movie.
May want to reconsider to Val Kilmer in "Ghost and the Darkness".
At least there is an African tie-in, and he lives...quite the bonus I think.

Ouch...good save I forgot about the end. You guys are truly looking out for me.

Reactions: WAB
YGG, Here's another argument to get the rifle: Zombie Apocalypse or Global Warming!

Mastodons are going to thaw, they have little tiny brains and they've been frozen for thousands of years. When they thaw, they are going to be angry, hungry and horny. Now unless you want to be eaten or mated by one, get a big stopping rifle and protect the missus. It's all about her protection!!

I LOVE you line of thinking about the action, since you already own 2 Rugers, get the 375 in the same action, safety, trigger... think of it this way: Ever been on a bird hunt and switched shotguns? One has a button safety behind the trigger, one has a tang safety and one is a button in front of the trigger. People get confused in the moment trying to remember what shotgun they have and where the controls are! Worse is on that has a left handed or reversed safety!

Just buy the 375. I have the Ruger 375 guide rifle and love it. Sweet handling and good shooting gun. The buffalo in my avatar was taken with it. Also shot a water buck and bush buck with it. Get one now! lol

YGG, Here's another argument to get the rifle: Zombie Apocalypse or Global Warming!

Mastodons are going to thaw, they have little tiny brains and they've been frozen for thousands of years. When they thaw, they are going to be angry, hungry and horny. Now unless you want to be eaten or mated by one, get a big stopping rifle and protect the missus. It's all about her protection!!

I LOVE you line of thinking about the action, since you already own 2 Rugers, get the 375 in the same action, safety, trigger... think of it this way: Ever been on a bird hunt and switched shotguns? One has a button safety behind the trigger, one has a tang safety and one is a button in front of the trigger. People get confused in the moment trying to remember what shotgun they have and where the controls are! Worse is on that has a left handed or reversed safety!

Excellent points all. Just the thought of a horny mastadon eyeing my backside is enough to induce clenched rectal syndrome.

As for the rifle operations being the same your talking my language. I'm a tech by trade and lack of consistency is one of the big sources of problems I see everyday. As things change people get confused and the learning curve is a costly obstacle and source of mistakes.

I know you said you can't afford to go to Africa, but - - That's what I thought and I was there last year. I was planning to go again this year, but have other opportunities pop up that I'm taking advantage of. I suggest that you contact some of the African safari sponsors on here and see what kind of price they can come up with. I think you'll be surprised! And from time to time there are significant discounts on a hunt. And you will see animals. And you will get shot opportunities. I selected a 7 day hunt with 7 animals and didn't really believe that it could be done. But, Africa is different! It's not like the US at all! You need (yes, "need" is the correct word) to experience it. I still have Elk and Brown bear on my list of desired animals, but Africa is cheaper and has moved up in priority.

Ygg,

you will NEVER wish that you have had LESS gun with you. just buy the 375 and be done with it. i bought a ruger, stainless. the H&H will do everything the same.

its a great bear gun, the gold standard actually up here in alaska. it shoots plenty flat for any game to over 300 yards. recoil is not as bad as you think it will be.

this raggedy bunch here will spend your money for you if you listen too closely. that said, they are mostly a bunch of adventurers or would be's and wish for you the best. buy the 375 man, shoot it at the local range and be the coolest guy there, then go shoot something with it.

yep, its more gun than needed for white tail, elk and even a moose, but is plenty of gun for all of them. you will never wish you had not bought it if you buy it well. god speed!

I have a 375 Ruger that has only hunted bear and whitetail deer and groundhog it does all well. I use a 200gr GS Customs bullet that leaves the barrel at 3212fps I have shot 1 deer a small doe at 427 yards at that range the bullet was still functioning perfectly. Go for the 375 it’s a fun caliber with unlimited uses as well as just plain old high on the cool factor.
The problem is once you get the 375 and love it your heart will turning towards something that reads .4+ and the good folks here at AH will be more than happy to”push you in the right direction”. Great bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge.
Shawn

you will NEVER wish that you have had LESS gun with you. just buy the 375 and be done with it. i bought a ruger, stainless. the H&H will do everything the same.
+1

Two years ago I never thought I could handle over a 300WM and now I'm shooting a 375H&H with ease and accuracy.
It takes time, but if you put in the effort you will reap the rewards.
A lot of .22 caliber practice at the range helps as well...cheaper too.

You guys have me convinced. The 375 is now top priority on the next gun list. As for something with a 4 I have also been eyeing the 416 but really think a 375 makes more sense to get first .

This news about Africa being more reasonable than I thought is extremely encouraging. I have always thought it a champagne dream on a beer budget.

Now that the decision has been made for me, (or should I say the inevitable conclusion has been accepted), we must decide upon the correct 375 and how we can best spend my limited resources.

Whatever I go with reloading will definitely be the way I go.

The three contenders are right now:
M77 Guide Gun
M77 African
M70 Safari

The rest are either over budget, I do not fancy or are unknown. Mous-CRF style with express sights are pretty much mandatory for me. Just because.

At this point you’l need to decide whether you want the old classic H&H or the hot newcomer Ruger. That will go a long way in determining which rifle to pick. The Ruger fits in a shorter action and may be a tad hotter, but it does not have near the class or availability of the H&H.

And if you go with the old classic, don’t discount the CZ 550 as an option, either. Plenty here that own one and I personally know of at least one that is very satisfied with his.

And if you go with the old classic, don’t discount the CZ 550 as an option, either. Plenty here that own one and I personally know of at least one that is very satisfied with his.
Very happy with my CZ550 375H&H with a #2 AHR upgrade.

Yes, the CZ550 seems to be popular. I'm most likely all wet but it 'feels' like while both cartridges are similar that most H&H platforms are geared for flash while the Ruger platforms are geared for bang, if ya follow me. A Snap-On VS a Craftsman sort of. I have both types and find them to be equally capable tools but the Snap-Ons get the nod of approval for their pedigree.
However, I am more likely to grab the Craftsman to do the down and dirty work due to cost and not wanting to mar the Snap-On finish. The Snap-Ons I tend to baby more even if not necessary.

I have both CZ 550 in .375 H&H and .416 Rigby. Love both guns. Both guns are field proven on multiple safaris. That said, I still look at .470 NE and any double rifle I see for sale. Do I need? No. Do I want? As much as eternal life. As mentioned before in this thread, we could all get along with a fewer and probably smaller caliber guns. But then for what purpose would I go to work on a Saturday afternoon if not to justify the next smoke pole in the arsenal. Best of luck with your upcoming purchase. You will not regret.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber