375 more than I need?

.375H&H is extremely useful, and definitely not just for buffalo. It’s great for pigs, plains game and young cattle or nice cows! It can give you a few more options in long grass or brush.

ben,
I respect you and what you say, because you do it a lot.
but you say that a heart shot through a shoulder bone is a better heart shot.
it is certainly one of my favourites.
I would put money on the fact that your intent is as many drop to the shots as is humanly possible.
actually a high heart shot from the front can often clip the spine as well.
don't trust that one!
ultimately the quicker the loss of blood pressure the quicker the animal drops all else failing.
here we come to adequate firearms and bullets, as well as marksmanship.
things like deer are far more susceptible to shock than bovines, and this can be useful..
bovines just have that thing in the mind.
bruce.

About the only animal in North America that you would “need” a 375 for is a brown bear. Of course, you could use the 375 on other game animals too, but it’s “over kill.” My Elk did not know the difference between being killed with my 308 v 300 Win Mag. That said if you want one buy one.

If a very powerful cartridge is fired into a relatively ( note relatively) soft skinned animal then there’s a distinct possibility that the bullet will pass through without expanding much. The 375 bullets are strongly constructed and I feel that they will drill a pencil line through thus wounding and having the animal run for a considerable distance.
The animal may be lost and/or die a terrible death something an ethical hunter does not want.
I agree that a more suitable cartridge would serve better with most likely more humane kills as any hunter would want. So in summary I suggest that the 375 is not really suited to the animals you are hunting. That’s not to say the 375 is not suitable for all but I suggest the bullet constructions are too tough for your targets.

If a very powerful cartridge is fired into a relatively ( note relatively) soft skinned animal then there’s a distinct possibility that the bullet will pass through without expanding much. The 375 bullets are strongly constructed and I feel that they will drill a pencil line through thus wounding and having the animal run for a considerable distance.
The animal may be lost and/or die a terrible death something an ethical hunter does not want.
I agree that a more suitable cartridge would serve better with most likely more humane kills as any hunter would want. So in summary I suggest that the 375 is not really suited to the animals you are hunting. That’s not to say the 375 is not suitable for all but I suggest the bullet constructions are too tough for your targets.

I disagree. The 270 grain Woodleigh PPSN is perfect for pigs, warthogs, kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, jackal, impala, eater-sized cattle.

For buffalo, giraffe and the big scrubbers the various 300 grain Woodleigh options are better.

I disagree. The 270 grain Woodleigh PPSN is perfect for pigs, warthogs, kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, jackal, impala, eater-sized cattle.

For buffalo, giraffe and the big scrubbers the various 300 grain Woodleigh options are better.

I can see your point but I was referring to North American game.

suit the bullet to the game.
as important as suiting the calibre to some degree.
I shot a stock killing german shepherd with a 375.
it was the first gun I could lay a hand on.
instant death with a shoulder shot.
with smaller game and bigger bullets, try to hit a harder part of the body.
but then on bigger game the same goal is appropriate, but make sure the bullet is up to it.
drive it hard and hit bone.
the good thing about bullets like swift is that they expand quite fast, but still penetrate.
bruce.

suit the bullet to the game.
as important as suiting the calibre to some degree.
I shot a stock killing german shepherd with a 375.
it was the first gun I could lay a hand on.
instant death with a shoulder shot.
with smaller game and bigger bullets, try to hit a harder part of the body.
but then on bigger game the same goal is appropriate, but make sure the bullet is up to it.
drive it hard and hit bone.
the good thing about bullets like swift is that they expand quite fast, but still penetrate.
bruce.

I would think the 375 on a dog would be adequate!
I just like to use a caliber and billet combination suitable fir the target.
At times of course you’d use what was available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber