What To Look For In Buying Binoculars

I've got 10x40 vortex talons that work great. My wife has a much more compact set of Leopold 10x25 that are much lighter and more compact, but smaller field of view.

Both work just fine in Africa.

My plan is to eventually go to the New Zealand hills/mountains. I was going to do it next trip, but that hyena thing has really gotten me.
Would a 10x be adequate for that environment, or would I need more zoom?

10x is all I use mountain hunting. After that, it's spotting scope territory

10's are excellent all around, with the use of a tripod you will be just fine with them, plus they are easy to pack around in the mountains

Yep 10x in Kiwi country. When I was in New Zealand long distance was important. Very steep country. A compact spotting scope would help too, but your outfitter should have that to use.

My current compact backpacking spotting scope is a Vortex Razor 11-33x. In good light I can see 308 holes at 300 yards in the target. Not bad for 70 year old eyes.

I am certainly familiar with how weight affects a long day traveling on those LPC's! (Light personnel carriers: boots)

I also have an inexpensive spotting scope that is terrible at sunset, so yes, I know what you're talking about.

Would there be any justification in buying a model from a renowned brand that is higher priced? $2200 vs $400 for the same maker?
ArmyGrunt,
Unfortunately the better glass costs $. I've been lucky enough to upgrade my gear lately. I had leupold and Nikon then Zeiss and now Swarovski. Lately I've had to admit that Leica is a bit better to my eye. (I want the rangefinder model for mountain hunts)
I have a terrible time focusing both eyes and just found out last year it's due to a dry eye condition. I've always hated binos because I had such a hard time focusing both eyes. Once I could afford the top names the problem went away or is at least not noticeable.
I am currently hunting with the compact Africa Limited Edition Swarovski bino. It is light weight and when you combine it with Rick Young's bino harness it's never in the way.
Sorry but I see everyone with those floppy, twisted up, sweaty, heavy duty looking bino harnesses. Folks do yourself a favor and spend $25 on a Rick Young Bino harness from his website! Try it and see if you like it better. I know I do.
Regards,
Philip
PS my Swarovski spotting scope ($$$$!) was mandatory gear for the Kyrgyzstan Ibex hunt. Without top quality glass I would not have had a chance.

Look for clarity, focus ability and warranty. This is why I buy Swarovski the cost a lot, but are the best on these fields in my opinion. Also I have broken them twice over the past 6 years and they have been repaired no questions asked under the warranty so I am extremely happy with them.

Reactions: ack
Have a look at the Swarovski SLC 8x30 on Ebay. You can pick them up for between $500-$750. I use a pair on my dangerous game hunts. They are robust and have excellent glass.

I like to spend money on trophy fees and not $2k binocs. So, from a value standpoint I'd look at Leopoldo Mojave, Meopta and Vortex in 10X 42 or 50. The Meoptas are brighter and lighter weight than Vortex and Leupold. But higher priced. Plus your not out so much if you leave them behind somewhere. I usually give mine to PHs or the trackers if they've done good job.

Have a pair of Leupold Mojave 10 x 42 and have taken them everywhere for the last 10 years. Never had any issues and have seen ALMOST everything my guides can see with their Swarovski's. They are about 24 oz, so fairly lightweight. The Swaros are better, but more than 4x the cost.

I like to see what I'm shooting at. Also a one time fee on good Binos that are used on many trips evens out over time in my opinion.

I tried out the Zeiss Terra 10*42 today at Gander. AMAZING. Better than the Leupold, Vortex, Nikon and Steiner on display, and reasonably light. That was one on sale on the website I mentioned, so I ordered those for $360~ with shipping. Retail is about $500.

Side note: the guy at the store said the story about them going under its myth. Bankruptcy is a maybe, but Gander Mountain is NOT going out of business. Internet just did what internet does....

Thanks to all for the guidance. I'm sure it'll help others in the future as well

ArmyGrunt,
Unfortunately the better glass costs $. I've been lucky enough to upgrade my gear lately. I had leupold and Nikon then Zeiss and now Swarovski. Lately I've had to admit that Leica is a bit better to my eye. (I want the rangefinder model for mountain hunts)
I have a terrible time focusing both eyes and just found out last year it's due to a dry eye condition. I've always hated binos because I had such a hard time focusing both eyes. Once I could afford the top names the problem went away or is at least not noticeable.
I am currently hunting with the compact Africa Limited Edition Swarovski bino. It is light weight and when you combine it with Rick Young's bino harness it's never in the way.
Sorry but I see everyone with those floppy, twisted up, sweaty, heavy duty looking bino harnesses. Folks do yourself a favor and spend $25 on a Rick Young Bino harness from his website! Try it and see if you like it better. I know I do.
Regards,
Philip
PS my Swarovski spotting scope ($$$$!) was mandatory gear for the Kyrgyzstan Ibex hunt. Without top quality glass I would not have had a chance.

Philip, after reading this about the Rick Young harness, I immediately ordered one. Works great on my Nikon Monarch 7 8x32! But of course not good for my heavy as all get out Swarovski 10x42. At 5'8" and 155 lbs they just kill my neck hauling them around, but they are still great antelope truck binos.
Thanks for the insight on the Rick Young harness!

Grunt, you are basically asking if the diminishing marginal returns on a $1K+ are worth it.

First, some basics on optics and weight--which apply to any brand, model or price. There are three main optical variables when it comes to binoculars. 1) Magnification 2) Field of view and 3) The so-called "light-gathering" capability, which is measured largely by the size of the exit pupil. These three variables are interrelated: generally, the more magnification, the less the field of view and the light-gathering capability, unless you are prepared to add to the binoculars' weight. Also, the more magnification, the harder to keep the image "still."

In theory, the larger the exit pupil, the more light your binos will gather. This is an easy calculation--just divide the objective lens diameter by the magnification, and you have it. For instance, in a pair of 10x50 binos, you get 50 : 10 = 5mm exit pupil. Think of the exit pupil as the f/stop on your camera--naturally, the wider, the more light it will let in. In practice, though, this is tempered by the ability of your own eyes to open up their own pupils in low light: at age 30, it's generally possible to open them to 7mm, but by age 50, 5mm is what most of us get; in other words, with a 7x50 (= 7mm pupil) pair of binos, the extra 2mm worth of exit pupil will be lost on the average 50-year-old eyes. So, speaking generally, anything with an exit pupil of 5mm is considered the practical maximum in terms of trade-offs between light-gathering and weight.

As for the field of view, this will be determined by the type of hunting you do. In general, wider fields of view are preferable for scouting large open areas, such as (say) pronghorn country here in the USA. The standard FOV on a pair of 8x42's will be 340 feet at 1000 yards, and anything above 400 will be considered specialized. Use this as a yardstick to determine what you want; but only you can determine the kind of hunting that you do, and how this will affect your choice or more or less magnification--which impacts field of view in inverse proportion.

So, once you decide on the actual optical specs of your ideal binos, we come to the diminishing marginal returns question. Today, the top sporting brands such as Nikon, Leupold and Steiner have very little to envy next to the high-priced German/Austrian names like Zeiss, Leica, Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski. Sure, the latter have slightly better glass, but in order to appreciate a PRACTICAL difference you need conditions that very seldom occur in the field--such as absolute stillness. I'd say that the high-dollar German brands are a status symbol more than anything (I myself am a sucker for anything with a red dot on it), because there's practically (here's that word again) nothing you can do better with any of them than you would with a Leupold or Nikon.

In my firm, practically everybody is a hunting fanatic and I don't think I've ever seen a Zeiss or Swaro in any of their kits. What I do see is the prevalence of 8x42's as (perhaps) the best compromise between all the variables. Me, I've hunted for years with a little pair of Leica 10x25's, and I've killed most of my deer right at twilight--so even the fancy-schmancy optics math goes right out the window once you find something you like. Me, I'll probably stick with the little ones, since I love the way they fold into my breast pocket when I don't need them.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Excellent description, thanks

10x42 SLC Swarovski is what I have used for 8 years now. Yes, they are heavy but it's great to hold in the wind. I like Leica and Zeiss too, it's just that the 10x42 SLC Swarovski fit what I do for hunting. It didn't hurt that price was less than $950 at the time.

Grunt, you are basically asking if the diminishing marginal returns on a $1K+ are worth it.

First, some basics on optics and weight--which apply to any brand, model or price. There are three main optical variables when it comes to binoculars. 1) Magnification 2) Field of view and 3) The so-called "light-gathering" capability, which is measured largely by the size of the exit pupil. These three variables are interrelated: generally, the more magnification, the less the field of view and the light-gathering capability, unless you are prepared to add to the binoculars' weight. Also, the more magnification, the harder to keep the image "still."

In theory, the larger the exit pupil, the more light your binos will gather. This is an easy calculation--just divide the objective lens diameter by the magnification, and you have it. For instance, in a pair of 10x50 binos, you get 50 : 10 = 5mm exit pupil. Think of the exit pupil as the f/stop on your camera--naturally, the wider, the more light it will let in. In practice, though, this is tempered by the ability of your own eyes to open up their own pupils in low light: at age 30, it's generally possible to open them to 7mm, but by age 50, 5mm is what most of us get; in other words, with a 7x50 (= 7mm pupil) pair of binos, the extra 2mm worth of exit pupil will be lost on the average 50-year-old eyes. So, speaking generally, anything with an exit pupil of 5mm is considered the practical maximum in terms of trade-offs between light-gathering and weight.

As for the field of view, this will be determined by the type of hunting you do. In general, wider fields of view are preferable for scouting large open areas, such as (say) pronghorn country here in the USA. The standard FOV on a pair of 8x42's will be 340 feet at 1000 yards, and anything above 400 will be considered specialized. Use this as a yardstick to determine what you want; but only you can determine the kind of hunting that you do, and how this will affect your choice or more or less magnification--which impacts field of view in inverse proportion.

So, once you decide on the actual optical specs of your ideal binos, we come to the diminishing marginal returns question. Today, the top sporting brands such as Nikon, Leupold and Steiner have very little to envy next to the high-priced German/Austrian names like Zeiss, Leica, Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski. Sure, the latter have slightly better glass, but in order to appreciate a PRACTICAL difference you need conditions that very seldom occur in the field--such as absolute stillness. I'd say that the high-dollar German brands are a status symbol more than anything (I myself am a sucker for anything with a red dot on it), because there's practically (here's that word again) nothing you can do better with any of them than you would with a Leupold or Nikon.

In my firm, practically everybody is a hunting fanatic and I don't think I've ever seen a Zeiss or Swaro in any of their kits. What I do see is the prevalence of 8x42's as (perhaps) the best compromise between all the variables. Me, I've hunted for years with a little pair of Leica 10x25's, and I've killed most of my deer right at twilight--so even the fancy-schmancy optics math goes right out the window once you find something you like. Me, I'll probably stick with the little ones, since I love the way they fold into my breast pocket when I don't need them.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

With respect, I think this is dead wrong. I personally believe there is very real practical difference in utility between excellent and average glass. It is perhaps correct to say that difference only manifests itself 20-30% of the time. But that 20 - 30% is almost always 100% of the critical time. Trying to decide if a buck is 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 is difficult and never made easier by bad detail. Resting eyes on an expensive spot and stalk hunt almost guarantees missing finding game - maybe the trophy of a lifetime (or physical souvenir as Brickburn would now say :). And only one or two evenings or mornings at first and last light will leave you wondering how you ever managed before. I use the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD for all my African hunting. They are lighter and smaller than most 8x42's and provide incredible definition through heavy brush. For mountain hunting I am sold on Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-A with range finder. Yes they both are expensive, but amortizing them over the remainder of my hunting career (even at my age!) makes for a very reasonable investment

"That 20 - 30% is almost always 100% of the critical time."

We may quibble on the actual percentage (I think yours is on the high side), but your basic assertion is of course correct. Better glass is better glass--period. I'll have to look up your Leica Ultravids now (see what you've done?). ;-)

Tom, I would agree whole heartedly with redleg average glass is just that average. I have Swarovski, leica, leupold and burris and best friend had steiner. So I can directly compare them all side by side. At long distance or at resolving fine details or picking out an antler tine in the brush at first or last light the Euro glass wins every time not even close. On a bighorn sheep hunt the main guide and I had to listen to his mouthy assistant tells us how his leoupolds were just as good as my swaro's and the guide Leica's yak yak. 1st evening glassing a bunch of rams way out the guide and I were deciding which to go for and Mr mouthy with he leupolds asked us how can you tell are they rams? aka the leupolds sucked he shut up. I know great glass cost a pretty penny but once you have used them you will never go back and it is a life long investment. If they get you just one more animal or save you stalking a inferior critter because you just couldn't see the detail then they pay for themselves.
So personally I am never without my Swarovski 10x42's unless I have the leica hd-b ranging binos on me. Take a look at what the guys that hunt for a living use I saw a lot of swaro's and Leica on them. didn't see any Nikon or leupold etc.

Swavorski came with a free beer koozie. Cody was sold. :D Beers: :D Cheers:

Or you can buy the $2000 beer koozie and Swarovski will throw in a free set of binos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.