R8 - My Sick Rig!

Hmmm...sadly it doesn’t appear Blaser makes an R8 with the 404 J!:cry: Guess I’ll have to pass!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Whey! I needed some excuse!
J. Sip & Sons to the rescue.
Yep, they do!
What are your excuses now...

The fact is we love guns, because we love guns...all of them.
Keep them!
And buy the R8 anyway!!!

Great video showcasing a superlative rifle!
As an owner of a Kilombero with .375 H&H and 300 Win Mag barrels I am totally biased by the way!!!

Edit: pictures speak volumes:

Last edited:
Phil, great rifle I'm jealous but those shorts have got to go. If your shorts aren't long enough for cargo pockets burn them and buy ones that are.

Ugh? Ugh? Give me a minute and I’ll probably come up with another lame excuse!

Uh, probably the name as mine. The reality is we would have them if we could somehow justify it. We like nice rifle and have various wants, needs and desires. We cannot afford them all, a Blaser platform, an
Extra Barrel , Blaser Mount and scope for each, and then wouldn’t it be nice to have another given chambering for doing x,y,z

I could buy the Blaser but will I ever feel comfortable spending that money on one rifle when for say $2000 I can have a Tikka with a decent scope . I can have maybe 4 Tikkas for the cost of the first Blaser R8 platform.

Nice but out of my pricepoint.

Actually my excuse maybe “My wife won’t let me” seriously she might if I offload some others , Ive worked hard to make the family comfortable, but yeh, it’s a lot of money at this point of my life at least.

I’d have many things but I recently worked out the few things that I thought I would currently like would cost $3000 and make my life complete, until I find something else that I really want, need and like.

I think the biggest advantage for me is the convenience of travel. 2 Barrels, 2 scopes and all in one SMALL case. The trigger and ergonomics are great. It just fits and works, no fiddling

I think the biggest advantage for me is the convenience of travel. 2 Barrels, 2 scopes and all in one SMALL case. The trigger and ergonomics are great. It just fits and works, no fiddling
I’m sure that I an advantage for those that travel to hunt. It would be nice to do,
The Stingray leather is interesting, I wonder who even thought it up or if it is used much on other products?
Nice rifle, I would like to handle it but in that price range I would likely want a timber stock for a nice rifle but I do get the practical side.
I’m not sure I would want to carry a $10,000 outfit in the scrub. I guess it’s all relevant but even my Tikka I will be careful and avoid scratches but it’s only ever gonna be there to be used and worn out I hope.

I’m sure that I an advantage for those that travel to hunt. It would be nice to do,
The Stingray leather is interesting, I wonder who even thought it up or if it is used much on other products?
Nice rifle, I would like to handle it but in that price range I would likely want a timber stock for a nice rifle but I do get the practical side.
I’m not sure I would want to carry a $10,000 outfit in the scrub. I guess it’s all relevant but even my Tikka I will be careful and avoid scratches but it’s only ever gonna be there to be used and worn out I hope.
My rifles are tools...well cared for tools, but are made for doing work.
That work is in the field, where S*&% happens sometimes.
Scratches, dings and dents are worn like a badge of honor for a rifle.
Remembering hunts and good times had around a fire...not time spent in a safe.

How many times have you said "If that gun could talk" by looking at the wear on it?
If I had the money for a $500K rifle, I assure you it would be hunting with me somewhere.
I bring home my trophy to hang on the wall, the rifle has it's own written in scratches, dings and dents.

It sound like your Tikka will be on the same path.
Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Still considering selling my rifles and investing in an R8 in 375 H&H and 300 WM. Keeping a Leupold VX6 1-6x for the 375 and VX6 2-12x for the 300 Win.
Oh I’m such a dreamer!
that would be a great setup!
Philip

@Philip Glass really nice video. Impressive modern rifle, but those shorts you are wearing are definitely old school PH. BTW, it must be nice to live on a ranch with your own shooting range and a 800 yard gong. I envy you.
Thanks! Hey even if we can’t go to Africa now we can get our gear and clothes out and wish we were there.
We can easily back up from the range and shoot 1000 or more. I’ve just not taken the time to find the farthest we can see the 800yd gong. Yes it is fun and we are blessed.
Philip

Indeed a fantastic rifle!
Does that Z8 have the color coded turret? I ask because of I’m trying to figure out what to set my Z6 with the ballistic turrets on. For now I plan to zero at 100 and the go 200, 300, 400 for the .375H&H and .300win mag and 6.5CM.

Did you add the kick stop? I put one in my son’s R8 and it makes a difference.

Final question, did you weigh the J Sip barrels?

your next video should be a rapid fire drill so you can demonstrate how fast these R8’s can be shot.
Hi Tra3,
I have not used the color coded Rings yet. I have a kestrel so I use it to give me my solution. The rings or Leupold etc CDS have a flaw. It works great if you set it up where you are hunting for that altitude but if you travel internationally things change so I use a Kestrel for anything long range. Just know as much as you can about where you will be hunting to see if it will work for you.
I do have the kickstop and for the .375 it is necessary. I have not weighed the gun or barrel but maybe when my new one comes in I’ll get busy.
Thanks,
Philip

Phil, how about sweetening the pot a little with targets shot at 100 & 200 Yards? BTW is that a wet weather creek or does it flow year around?
It is a wet weather creek but parts have water most of The time. It just depends on rainfall. If it’s real dry it takes about 5” to get it going. It’s Nice now but slowing down due to the mesquite trees coming out now. I am doing as much clearing of brush as I can to help the situation. It will take the rest of my life to clear all this mesquite and cedar by myself!
philip

Just curious Phil. I spent close to four years in Texas over 50 years ago courtesy of Uncle Sam. About the only water I saw there was in man-made lakes, reservoirs or "tanks."

It will take the rest of my life to clear all this mesquite and cedar by myself!
Nice to have your life plan!:ROFLMAO::LOL::D
I use to enjoy the time alone clearing brush, cutting fence posts (Osage orange), etc. Kind of a mental escape for me.

Ray and sharkskin have been used occasionally on swords since the 18th century in Europe, and probably as far back as the 14th century in Japan. It makes for a perfect grip even with a sweaty or bloody palm. It is clever and useful option to offer for that stock.

Just curious Phil. I spent close to four years in Texas over 50 years ago courtesy of Uncle Sam. About the only water I saw there was in man-made lakes, reservoirs or "tanks."
We are fortunate (when not flooding!) to have the San Gabriel run across our back boundary. It is crystal clear and runs all year. An ultralite spinning rig or my 6 wt Hardy will pick up four or five Guadalupe or largemouth any late afternoon from now until November. It is also a great spot to find the occasional point or scraper. I am envious of your space @Philip Glass . Wish I had enough elbow room for something longer than a two-hundred yard range. Then again, we are blessed to have what we do and it has been wonderful during the present madness. I'll have my new .257 Wby barrel out for a sight-in this evening or tomorrow. I have moved my .375 to the pro stock and have the .257 on the little classic sporter. It will make a very light deer rifle with lots of reach. The R8 is just a special thing.

Red Leg, I understand about the flooding. I have the Detroit River in my back yard. It is somewhere between 5/8(s) and 3/4 of a mile wide. Lake Erie is less than a mile from my place. When the wind blows out of the East or South my yard gets flooded. I currently have a shallow pond that is about 150' x 100' across it. I could fish off my docks if I wanted to but I generally do not. When the grandkids come to fish they usually catch Walleye, Bass or Perch. Years ago my kid brother caught a 5' Sturgeon off one of the docks. This time of year Walleye come out of the lake to spawn so we have lots of them.

We are fortunate to have wet weather springs on our ranch. The creek by my house is running now but with the high 90 degree temps now it will slow down quickly. Its a pretty place in the spring and we do some Axis hunting this time of year. You are right there is very little water in west Texas!
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!