R8 - My Sick Rig!

Because that rifle is so different in handling I'd try it out to see if it is for you. From what I have seen people either love it or hate it, it doesn't seem to have much of a middle ground.
Until a few years ago, I didn't even know Blaser made rifles.
Then I saw the R8 at a the Euro Optic booth at a show.
From the day I laid eyes and hands on it...I wanted one.
We are now a Blaser family.

Of those who actually own (or have owned) them, there are very few detractors.
You will find several members here who own both standard bolt actions and the Blaser R8 (or R93).
Yes the manual of arms is different and as long as you are capable, you can switch easily.

I used one for over 15 years and never once tried to turn the bolt, nor did I ever forget to cock it. I also had other stuff at the time.

But you are right - not to everyone's taste.

Blasers have definite benefits and points of difference, but if someone has no use for those points of difference, it makes no sense to pay a premium for them.

Funny story...
I had just gotten my R8 and went to the range with my friend who was shooting a standard bolt gun.
We had each shot about 10 rounds and asked each other to switch rifles.
I chambered a round, shot and couldn't get the bolt open for the life of me.
Yes, in the course of just 10 shots I was converted to straight pull.
I was dumbfounded that my friends rifle wouldn't open.
And then I felt like an idiot for not turning the bolt.

FYI - All of our rifles are now straight pull to keep muscle memory consistent.

Very nice rifle Philip! Could the R8 be fitted with a .416 Rigby? I looked at the available calibers and didn't see it. I'm thinking it'd be have to a custom barrel then right?
If it’s not on Blaser website then yes you could get a custom barrel.

Last week I thought I found another rifle.
I am still planning on a Von Gruff knife but deferring it.
Want, want , want

A Rigby would be nice, but no. I could have a Blaser R8 and extra barrels for the money.

Really I want. To huntBuff or scrub bull next. In Australia and it’s the closest I might get to DG, I’ve seen Cape Buffalo up close in Africa,

Another Safari, maybe it would be where the game run wild, that comes. A cost.

What I struggle with is that many makes of production bolt action can shoot acceptably well out of the box, some have any amount of after market options to personalise it or set it up for your purpose, some things can be tweaked by the owner with some research and forums like this.
It’s like scopes there is always a better one out there but we tend to carry one rifle at a time.

first thought: Get the Von Gruff knife! I had him make 3 knives for the teen boys in my hunting party. The knives are beautiful, well made and will last. (The boys’ dads are jealous)

Second thought: put the extra $$ into getting out hunting first, rather than a new rifle. I’d say for priorities: (1) making time to hunt, (2)proper boots/clothing, (3) good Binoculars, (4) scope on firearm, (5) firearm.
Most guns today shoot great out of the box. A fancy gun doesn’t make the hunter. I happily used the same .270 win rifle for 20+ years because it worked. Only after there was enough extra money that my wife didn’t mind some firearms purchases did I begin testing new rifles. For years, not buying a gun basically translated to more time in the field.

back on topic: @Philip Glass does your R8 get picky about ammo or is it consistent across different brands?

Hi Philip

Nice video

Mind posting a closeup photo of that stingray leather?

Very interested

Cheers

Frederik

Yes, I think we want a closeup of the Stingray leather. I like leather but never considered it coming of marine animals.

first thought: Get the Von Gruff knife! I had him make 3 knives for the teen boys in my hunting party. The knives are beautiful, well made and will last. (The boys’ dads are jealous)

Second thought: put the extra $$ into getting out hunting first, rather than a new rifle. I’d say for priorities: (1) making time to hunt, (2)proper boots/clothing, (3) good Binoculars, (4) scope on firearm, (5) firearm.
Most guns today shoot great out of the box. A fancy gun doesn’t make the hunter. I happily used the same .270 win rifle for 20+ years because it worked. Only after there was enough extra money that my wife didn’t mind some firearms purchases did I begin testing new rifles. For years, not buying a gun basically translated to more time in the field.

back on topic: @Philip Glass does your R8 get picky about ammo or is it consistent across different brands?

That is certainly a good approach. I don’t really need a knife but I can use it if I do. Still scheming a way to feel justified.

Yes I need to hunt more, What I have is adequate but I am still wanting a .300wm and a secondhand Tikka would suffice, a few good deals show up when you look long enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross