R8 - My Sick Rig!

Great video showcasing a superlative rifle!
As an owner of a Kilombero with .375 H&H and 300 Win Mag barrels I am totally biased by the way!!!

Edit: pictures speak volumes:
Thanks and a very cool gun you have there!

Phil, great rifle I'm jealous but those shorts have got to go. If your shorts aren't long enough for cargo pockets burn them and buy ones that are.
Art
Very funny! I knew I'd get some trouble with my shorts.
Remember I am a minimalist. I hate cargo shorts and just rather wear pants!
Philip

Uh, probably the name as mine. The reality is we would have them if we could somehow justify it. We like nice rifle and have various wants, needs and desires. We cannot afford them all, a Blaser platform, an
Extra Barrel , Blaser Mount and scope for each, and then wouldn’t it be nice to have another given chambering for doing x,y,z

I could buy the Blaser but will I ever feel comfortable spending that money on one rifle when for say $2000 I can have a Tikka with a decent scope . I can have maybe 4 Tikkas for the cost of the first Blaser R8 platform.

Nice but out of my pricepoint.

Actually my excuse maybe “My wife won’t let me” seriously she might if I offload some others , Ive worked hard to make the family comfortable, but yeh, it’s a lot of money at this point of my life at least.

I’d have many things but I recently worked out the few things that I thought I would currently like would cost $3000 and make my life complete, until I find something else that I really want, need and like.
I've got a Tikka 7Mag and I love it. I took it to Mongolia and did very well with it.

Nice to have your life plan!:ROFLMAO::LOL::D
I use to enjoy the time alone clearing brush, cutting fence posts (Osage orange), etc. Kind of a mental escape for me.
For sure a great escape especially in these times. I found a podcast on african hunting finally its called PH Journals. Helps pass the time.

Thanks for Flexing on the R8...............FWB

PG Great video-- but I'd be careful at gas stations with those shorts on... you might get some offers! lol Nice gun BTW it is definitely sick.

That's not much compared to cost of double rifles people take into the bush to use.
I agree, but it is not within my means. I would like a Rigby use because they are traditional and I have watched the videos of them handcrafting stocks and soldering sights etc. just old school craftsmanship and the style of rifles hunters of old had.

Another poster said somewhere that he would carry a million dollar rifle in the bush if he had the money and that is what he brought it for. Or something similar I guess that’s fine if you had a lot of money and proportionate income why not. Prince Harry has some gear for sale.

It would be like e paying 50k for a hunt , I could raise it but it would seem hard to justify spending it that way on my income. A bit like buying better rifles for waking the creek to shoot the odd pig. laying the Tikka up while I climb a fence assembly to get over is ok, maybe not with a Sako at twice the price and if I had something better like a Blaser R8, a nice double just because they make them I would be precious bout marking it. I sometimes shoot pests from a car, the rife is not loaded till it’s out the window but it still gets a knock or maybe a mark on it.
If I went the Blaser route I would prefer a timber stock with nice optics so I could not see me using a 10k outfit like that. I would want And a spare barrel and accessories and, and,
@Redleg thanks for backing him up with a like.
I’m just not in that position yet but I am only 48 so there Iggy be hope of having some some top end toy yet.

I've got a Tikka 7Mag and I love it. I took it to Mongolia and did very well with it.
I have a set of shorts. I took the to South Africa just to do the traditional thing. With my Lily white legs I should have copped more shit than you. Pics in a thread somewhere.
I almost only wear long pants, I saw y tracker acting funny and he had his phone out. I said are you trying to take photos of my legs? Let’s say our skin tone is complete opposite I reckon he had never seen legs so white. He was good And I actually watched him track where my Wildebeest to a short run . He didn’t go far ad was dow and dead just round a corner.

... if I had something better like a Blaser R8, a nice double just because they make them I would be precious bout marking it. I sometimes shoot pests from a car, the rife is not loaded till it’s out the window but it still gets a knock or maybe a mark on it...

I can understand that sentiment. A couple of years ago I replaced my SUV with a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Then added armor underneath, lifted it with new shocks, new bigger tires, replaced front and rear bumpers, added a winch, lights, rack, rooftop tent. Added up to 50% of the vehicle cost on improvements.

Then, I took it out, went through some rough roads going through a National forest around Prescott, AZ and one side got scratched up from branches and the armor underneath paid for itself. My girlfriend was flabbergasted. She suggested if I was going to keep going out and camping in remote areas I should "rent" a vehicle and not get my SUV all messed up. My viewpoint was that it was a tool that had a function and if it got "bruised" while it was doing its job so be it. That doesn't mean one should abuse their tools, but that with usage sometimes wear occurs. I don't own anything that I would hesitate to use because it might get a mark on it.

However, there is also no way in hell I would take my mother's Range Rover Sport on a muddy dirt road at the family farm let alone off-road. She'd beat me up at age 84 :LOL:.

Liked the video Philip!(y)(y)

I agree, but it is not within my means. I would like a Rigby use because they are traditional and I have watched the videos of them handcrafting stocks and soldering sights etc. just old school craftsmanship and the style of rifles hunters of old had.

Another poster said somewhere that he would carry a million dollar rifle in the bush if he had the money and that is what he brought it for. Or something similar I guess that’s fine if you had a lot of money and proportionate income why not. Prince Harry has some gear for sale.

It would be like e paying 50k for a hunt , I could raise it but it would seem hard to justify spending it that way on my income. A bit like buying better rifles for waking the creek to shoot the odd pig. laying the Tikka up while I climb a fence assembly to get over is ok, maybe not with a Sako at twice the price and if I had something better like a Blaser R8, a nice double just because they make them I would be precious bout marking it. I sometimes shoot pests from a car, the rife is not loaded till it’s out the window but it still gets a knock or maybe a mark on it.
If I went the Blaser route I would prefer a timber stock with nice optics so I could not see me using a 10k outfit like that. I would want And a spare barrel and accessories and, and,
@Redleg thanks for backing him up with a like.
I’m just not in that position yet but I am only 48 so there Iggy be hope of having some some top end toy yet.
I wasn't either at 48. Life is built around priorities. Children, a home, college, etc all come in somewhere well before a new rifle. I first could afford Africa 12 years ago when I was 56. I was in my early sixties when I purchased my Blaser S2 and took it to the swamps of Mozambique. Life changes and so do our priorities over time. The kids move on, the mortgage is paid off, we take on a new career - whatever. That might be an excellent time for that Rigby.

I can understand that sentiment. A couple of years ago I replaced my SUV with a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Then added armor underneath, lifted it with new shocks, new bigger tires, replaced front and rear bumpers, added a winch, lights, rack, rooftop tent. Added up to 50% of the vehicle cost on improvements.

Then, I took it out, went through some rough roads going through a National forest around Prescott, AZ and one side got scratched up from branches and the armor underneath paid for itself. My girlfriend was flabbergasted. She suggested if I was going to keep going out and camping in remote areas I should "rent" a vehicle and not get my SUV all messed up. My viewpoint was that it was a tool that had a function and if it got "bruised" while it was doing its job so be it. That doesn't mean one should abuse their tools, but that with usage sometimes wear occurs. I don't own anything that I would hesitate to use because it might get a mark on it.

However, there is also no way in hell I would take my mother's Range Rover Sport on a muddy dirt road at the family farm let alone off-road. She'd beat me up at age 84 :LOL:.
I completely agree with you on using tools on their intended purpose.
Unfortunately, it's been a long time since Range Rover has has the intention to go off-road.
Not saying they can't, or don't go off-road...just that it's not the primary purpose of a Range Rover.
You are much better sticking with your 4Runner or a Tacoma.

Another poster said somewhere that he would carry a million dollar rifle in the bush if he had the money and that is what he brought it for.
Yep, it was me that said that.
You will get your Rigby...just be patient.

Last week I thought I found another rifle.
I am still planning on a Von Gruff knife but deferring it.
Want, want , want

A Rigby would be nice, but no. I could have a Blaser R8 and extra barrels for the money.

Really I want. To huntBuff or scrub bull next. In Australia and it’s the closest I might get to DG, I’ve seen Cape Buffalo up close in Africa,

Another Safari, maybe it would be where the game run wild, that comes. A cost.

What I struggle with is that many makes of production bolt action can shoot acceptably well out of the box, some have any amount of after market options to personalise it or set it up for your purpose, some things can be tweaked by the owner with some research and forums like this.
It’s like scopes there is always a better one out there but we tend to carry one rifle at a time.

Unfortunately, it's been a long time since Range Rover has has the intention to go off-road.
Not saying they can't, or don't go off-road...just that it's not the primary purpose of a Range Rover.
You are much better sticking with your 4Runner or a Tacoma.

No, my mother does not even let her new driver drive the Range Rover until he goes and comes back from an executive driver school as she was not happy with his driving, she is having him drive her using a company van she just bought. The C19 prevented him from going. He is hunkered down at the farm with her at the cottage reserved for him.

When I visit, I drive a vintage Land Rover. Had to fight so it wouldn't get sold.

No, my mother does not even let her new driver drive the Range Rover until he goes and comes back from an executive driver school as she was not happy with his driving, she is having him drive her using a company van she just bought. The C19 prevented him from going. He is hunkered down at the farm with her at the cottage reserved for him.

When I visit, I drive a vintage Land Rover. Had to fight so it wouldn't get sold.
Like the looks of the Vintage ones.

Very nice rifle Philip! Could the R8 be fitted with a .416 Rigby? I looked at the available calibers and didn't see it. I'm thinking it'd be have to a custom barrel then right?

A Rigby would be nice, but no. I could have a Blaser R8 and extra barrels for the money.

Because that rifle is so different in handling I'd try it out to see if it is for you. From what I have seen people either love it or hate it, it doesn't seem to have much of a middle ground.

Because that rifle is so different in handling I'd try it out to see if it is for you. From what I have seen people either love it or hate it, it doesn't seem to have much of a middle ground.

I would love to try it then I can decide if I hate it. I had ever considered straight pul really.
My brother was considering a Browning Maral for something different but went with something cheaper.

I can see he benefit of straight pull but I guess it would not come naturally at first dunno.

There are plenty here that are staunch supporters and some new converts so I guess you get a feel soon enough.

I appreciate the technology, engineering and craftsmanship but for the price You cold have seperate rifles still with the scope selection without changing but I believe part of the attraction is the ability to travel with a compact page That May include several calibre choices on the same action, then they get. Feel and like the handling and so forth.
I Have not taken firearms only flights so , so far I can get way with. Conventional rifle but a Blaser would be nice

I used one for over 15 years and never once tried to turn the bolt, nor did I ever forget to cock it. I also had other stuff at the time.

But you are right - not to everyone's taste.

Blasers have definite benefits and points of difference, but if someone has no use for those points of difference, it makes no sense to pay a premium for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you