Owning Multiple Rifles from the Same Manufacturer?

Why not? If there is something you like. I don't have any "guidelines so to speak" but certainly wouldn't be opposed to adding another Kimber, Tikka, or Remington to my arsenal.

Reactions: BWH
From my perspective a rifle needs to be reliable and accurate. Who makes it is immaterial. I just make sure that the rifle I'm taking on my next hunt gets lots of range time prior to going so I'm familiar with the operation of the trigger and safety.

Dammit you guys! I wanted someone to talk me out of buying another .257 Weatherby and spending the money on another Dakota! Now it seems like I am going to have to do it :)

Do you think it is confusing bringing your guns through the airport in Africa if they are exactly the same make and model other than the chambering? I can just imagine the TSA agent fighting with me over why the paperwork says Dakota model 76 in .257 Weatherby but this gun is clearly in .280 AI...
No

I use Marlin lever guns in 22, 35 Rem, and 45-70. One lever gun is a Browning because I wanted a 358 Win. I got Ruger and Winchester 7mm mags, and the Win won that shoot off, so now I have Mod 70 in 270 and 7mm mag. I am wishing I had bought a 375 H&H Mod 70, instead of my Whitworth, although the latter works fine. Rifles happen, and the pattern develops over time, for me.

I lean towards Winchesters about as far as a human can. Have 30+ CRF M70s both post/pre 64, then a few levers and some o/u, sxs, long barrel scatterguns. Have had Ruger in the herd a few times but they were rifles won at auctions/raffles ect and culled shortly after.

Don't hamstring yourself to only 1 mfg's offering. I own several rugers, brownings, remingtons, PWS, CZ, etc..... Find what you like/love & buy!

Never had any rule to speak of. However, I like Rugers and own three No1, an M77 compact and a Guide Gun. I also bought my son an M77 compact but in a different caliber from mine. So that's six Ruger Rifles total.

I tend to gravitate toward Ruger rifles as well. For the money they're impossible to beat and they've outstanding customer service. And, while I'm not necessarily a fan of the current trend at Ruger (investing heavily in plastic and AR's and such) the firm has a wonderful history wherein they've frequently bucked the trend, Bill following his heart more so than what was in fashion.

Boy have you come to the wrong place for this group of guys, to talk you out of buying another rifle
Dammit you guys! I wanted someone to talk me out of buying another .257 Weatherby and spending the money on another Dakota! Now it seems like I am going to have to do it :)

Do you think it is confusing bringing your guns through the airport in Africa if they are exactly the same make and model other than the chambering? I can just imagine the TSA agent fighting with me over why the paperwork says Dakota model 76 in .257 Weatherby but this gun is clearly in .280 AI...

Boy have you come to the wrong place for this group of guys, to talk you out of buying another rifle

He's got a point. We're all pretty bad influences.... You should look up the thread where we goaded, I mean convinced, another user he needed a hippo hunt....

I have 2 mauser rifles, 7x57 and .22, and three CZ rifles, .308, .223 and .375.
All are set up almost identically with the same slings rings and scopes.
If I had to buy another it would be a CZ.

Okay, I also have SIG AR which I love but I feel guilty mentioning that here...

Yeah, let's not mention that SIG AR again, not here, lol. But you're good to go, a nice collection.

Rifles from the same manufacturer make sense to me. I have tried different calibers and action types, a couple Browning's, a couple Ruger's, a Remington and even an old surplus Lee-Enfield. They were all "good" guns, and did what they were supposed to do, but they never quite fit me like I wanted. I tried a CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 and things changed completely for me. The stock shape fit me better, my groups got smaller, and my confidence in my shooting abilities increased. I then went for a CZ 455 in .22 with the same stock shape and similar dimensions for cheaper shooting. The latest is another CZ 550, this time in 9.3x62, a considerable jump in power and recoil. Because of my previous experience with rifles from the same manufacturer and stock design, I immediately felt comfortable and shoot it really well. The fact that the safeties, magazine, and even the sling swivels (at least on the 550's) are the same makes for an easy swap when I change what game that I am going after on a particular hunt. For me, familiarity builds confidence, and my actions become second nature without having to think about which rifle I am carrying that day.

I have over 20 rifles, shotguns, and pistols all together. It would be hard not to double up.

Other than rifles I am very into guitars. In a guitar collection I want each guitar to do something different, in a rifle collection I want them all to do the same thing.

I can understand that Andres Segovia would want a different guitar than Jimi Hendrix, but to have rifles that all do the same thing, to me seems quite limiting.

I do have several guns that are the same make and feel fine about it. All things being equal, I think I would like different brands if the quality was acceptable.

This is important to me - maybe not for you - I don't want too many safety choices and certainly ones that conflict. New rifles are typically forward to fire. Older guns can be opposite. Shotguns ~ some are located in front of the trigger and others behind. I don't like confusion whether it's for safety sake usability sake.

I have Mausers in Various Calibers a few WW11 Mod 98s a Yugo, Mex, Swede and Chilean all in different calibers. next would be my Savages just because they Barrel swap real EZ, the rest are a collection of Remingtons Winchesters, Rugers Weatherbys, CZs Whitworths, I have a few in the same caliber(can't seem to pass up a Bargain) I'm not including Wheel Guns, Semi Autos and a few loose Shotguns. They share the closet with with my collection of Acoustic and Solid Body Guitars which I accumilated over the time I studied Guitar. And I wonder why I can't afford to retire. So welcome to your support group

I have a Winchester model 70 in 300WSM and a Remington model 700 in 270 Wsm. Both guns were tuned by Hill country rifles and both Shoot under a half inch consistently if I do my job. That's tough to beat I don't care what rifle you own. I also own a Ruger in 375 Ruger that shoots well too. I'm not concerned on which brand I own , but I'm more concerned that they shoot very well. I need that confidence the field .

IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, was on vacation so I couldn't add to the peer pressure but I sure hope you bought that rifle!!!

Sorry, was on vacation so I couldn't add to the peer pressure but I sure hope you bought that rifle!!!
Unfortunately I had to pass on the gun but I do appreciate your enthusiasm for getting me to spend money. It is hard to justify the cost of a secondhand Dakota in a cartridge I already have, especially if the stock does not fit me perfectly. Also worth mentioning that the barrel was a tad short. I have not ruled out ordering a Dakota model 97 in .257 Weatherby though so there is still time to enable my gun addiction.

Like a couple of other guys - I own multiple rifles (8) on the same action and platform - so everything from my varmint rifle to my meduim bore, have the same safety, same bolt, sling mounts etc. etc. - so when I up pick any of my guns everything is routine, familiar and predictable - almost automatic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber