Owning Multiple Rifles from the Same Manufacturer?

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
So I think I am about to commit to acts of rifle sacrilege. First, I am looking at buying a non-Weatherby rifle in a Weatherby cartridge. Second, I am looking at buying the same model rifle that I already own. The rifle in question is a Dakota Arms model 76 in .257 Weatherby.

I was just wondering if y'all have a personal rule against owning too many rifles from the same manufacturer or at least in the same model. My Dakota is the nicest rifle I have ever owned but I still feel bad picking up another simply because there are so many great rifle manufacturers out that it seems like a waste to just have all of my guns in the same model from the same manufacturer.

Obviously this is a rather ridiculous question and is ultimately inconsequential but I just want to know if anyone else thinks like I do about this.

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
Only thing I care about is the caliber. Besides that almost all my rifle are Winchester model 70's or variants of said rifle. That does not include break actions where I like good mechanics wood and engraving, but am not loyal to any one type or brand

ArmyGrunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
I had a rule for the longest time that I'd not have two guns from the same maker. Then I made an exception for the SIG SSG3000, since it's phenomenal despite the weight. It went well with my P938 pistol. Aside from that pair my baker's dozen was otherwise diverse.... Until this weekend...i traded off a flashy desert eagle for yet another SIG pistol.
This time it was for the resale value, but after carrying it today and shooting half a box I'm not sure if it'll stay or go. I should probably sell it to offset the cost of my Blaser, but it's real nice!

As far as the topic of the thread, my rifles are all diverse. I wouldn't be opposed to having two from the same company, but as you stated there are so many great companies it's nice to share the love. That said, a great deal is hard to pass up

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
Too sleepy to count right now, but suffice it to say that most of my guns are Parker, S&W, Winchester or custom. Good proven guns are a tough habit to break.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Never had any rule to speak of. However, I like Rugers and own three No1, an M77 compact and a Guide Gun. I also bought my son an M77 compact but in a different caliber from mine. So that's six Ruger Rifles total.

salesman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I guess I have a thing for Model 70 Winchesters. I have one Ruger, one Remington and one Sako that were gifts from my dad. They always have a home and would never be sold. Now other than that I would not buy a rifle unless it is a Winchester Model 70, particurly ones made prior to 1964.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Never had a problem owning more than one of the same manufacturer, caliber, model, color or anything else. If I find something I really like, I usually buy at least one more of the exact same thing, boots, cloths, knives and rifles/pistols. Usually as soon as I get comfortable with something the damn manufacturer either changes it or discontinue it. One such item was the Remington 700 Sendero in 300 RUM, I bought 3 of them just in case. So don't worry about it Saul, buy what you like before somebody gets a notion to change it.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I can't even get my head around your question. I have multiples in Sako, Blaser, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Darne, and several British makers. What is the issue? To my mind, it is about the particular weapon - not the particular maker.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Rules are made to be broken... Own as many from each manufacture as you want.

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hey @Saul , I don't think you're even close to committing any acts of sacrilege. A true act of sacrilege would be if the rifle were a Remington :eek: Sorry @Bullthrower338 :D
A Dakota in just about any chambering is just a smart purchase (y)
I personally prefer having the same rifle in different chamberings set up similarly.
Ya gotta go for it!

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Never had a problem owning more than one of the same manufacturer, caliber, model, color or anything else. If I find something I really like, I usually buy at least one more of the exact same thing, boots, cloths, knives and rifles/pistols. Usually as soon as I get comfortable with something the damn manufacturer either changes it or discontinue it. One such item was the Remington 700 Sendero in 300 RUM, I bought 3 of them just in case. So don't worry about it Saul, buy what you like before somebody gets a notion to change it.
They haven't made a gun yet that you don't like!

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Four model 70s. Three RSMs. One Number 1, (in process of being sold), an English, an Italian and a Spanish double. And a few others I have had around over 40 years!

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
Dammit you guys! I wanted someone to talk me out of buying another .257 Weatherby and spending the money on another Dakota! Now it seems like I am going to have to do it :)

Do you think it is confusing bringing your guns through the airport in Africa if they are exactly the same make and model other than the chambering? I can just imagine the TSA agent fighting with me over why the paperwork says Dakota model 76 in .257 Weatherby but this gun is clearly in .280 AI...

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
I own 16 firearms. The only "rule" I have is no Weatherby cartridge chamberings.

1 Sako, 1 Musgrave, 7 Brno.s, 1 Weatherby actioned custom, 1 Greener, 1 Renato Gamba, 1 Hungarian, 1 FN Browning, 1 S&W, 1 Glock.

Go for it buy what you enjoy shooting.

Just make sure the paperwork, rifle caliber markings, ammo(shells included) are all marked for the same caliber.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
The 257 Wby is a great cartridge if you get enough barrel for it to work. Nothing wrong with having rifles or guns of the same maker. My preferred rifle for hunting herbivores less than 300 pounds is a 7-08 Sako 85 , for herbivores over 300 is a Winchester Alaskan 338. Neither are the same maker but if they were it wouldn't be a problem.

BenH2016

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zambia
When I recently decided to buy some guns again, having had none for a few years, I was after CZs or Brnos. I wasn't set only on buying from this manufacturer and if I had found the calibre I wanted in a rifle I liked the look and feel of I would have bought it. I guess I was just lucky in the end to find what I wanted made by CZ.

In the last few weeks I decided I wanted a .243 and again was lucky enough to find a Brno of almost exactly the same era as my 30-06. Although they are date stamped a year apart the 30-06 is marked CZ and the .243 Brno. One says made in Czech republic the other made in Czechoslovakia. I do love a bit of history.

So to answer the question I have no problem owning very similar rifles in different calibres.

EZRider

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I have 2 mauser rifles, 7x57 and .22, and three CZ rifles, .308, .223 and .375.
All are set up almost identically with the same slings rings and scopes.
If I had to buy another it would be a CZ.

Okay, I also have SIG AR which I love but I feel guilty mentioning that here...

greyfox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I own several and all are the same manufacturer. My reasoning is simple, the safety and trigger, stock, scopes, etc are the same (scopes are different powers). When hunting, I don't have to think where's the safety, or how the rifle feels, etc. I know how they fit and how they shoot.

Think this way: On a bird shoot, you've got a mossberg, remington, and winchester. Autos, pumps, and O/U. The safeties are different and you're fiddling trying to get the safety off and the bird goes out of range.

I prefer for all mine to be the same and I prefer SAKOs, though the Dakota is a beautiful weapon, for sure!!

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, DSC, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Three (3) SAKO 85 Classics so far, and trying to justify what to get next.

boldo 42

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Rugers have always been good to me , got a handful of sakos , quite a few mauser and mauser derivatives and only one remington 700 in 8mm rem mag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brent Walker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.