Owning Multiple Rifles from the Same Manufacturer?

Saul

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina, Mexico
So I think I am about to commit to acts of rifle sacrilege. First, I am looking at buying a non-Weatherby rifle in a Weatherby cartridge. Second, I am looking at buying the same model rifle that I already own. The rifle in question is a Dakota Arms model 76 in .257 Weatherby.

I was just wondering if y'all have a personal rule against owning too many rifles from the same manufacturer or at least in the same model. My Dakota is the nicest rifle I have ever owned but I still feel bad picking up another simply because there are so many great rifle manufacturers out that it seems like a waste to just have all of my guns in the same model from the same manufacturer.

Obviously this is a rather ridiculous question and is ultimately inconsequential but I just want to know if anyone else thinks like I do about this.

Only thing I care about is the caliber. Besides that almost all my rifle are Winchester model 70's or variants of said rifle. That does not include break actions where I like good mechanics wood and engraving, but am not loyal to any one type or brand

I had a rule for the longest time that I'd not have two guns from the same maker. Then I made an exception for the SIG SSG3000, since it's phenomenal despite the weight. It went well with my P938 pistol. Aside from that pair my baker's dozen was otherwise diverse.... Until this weekend...i traded off a flashy desert eagle for yet another SIG pistol.
This time it was for the resale value, but after carrying it today and shooting half a box I'm not sure if it'll stay or go. I should probably sell it to offset the cost of my Blaser, but it's real nice!

As far as the topic of the thread, my rifles are all diverse. I wouldn't be opposed to having two from the same company, but as you stated there are so many great companies it's nice to share the love. That said, a great deal is hard to pass up

Too sleepy to count right now, but suffice it to say that most of my guns are Parker, S&W, Winchester or custom. Good proven guns are a tough habit to break.

Never had any rule to speak of. However, I like Rugers and own three No1, an M77 compact and a Guide Gun. I also bought my son an M77 compact but in a different caliber from mine. So that's six Ruger Rifles total.

I guess I have a thing for Model 70 Winchesters. I have one Ruger, one Remington and one Sako that were gifts from my dad. They always have a home and would never be sold. Now other than that I would not buy a rifle unless it is a Winchester Model 70, particurly ones made prior to 1964.

Never had a problem owning more than one of the same manufacturer, caliber, model, color or anything else. If I find something I really like, I usually buy at least one more of the exact same thing, boots, cloths, knives and rifles/pistols. Usually as soon as I get comfortable with something the damn manufacturer either changes it or discontinue it. One such item was the Remington 700 Sendero in 300 RUM, I bought 3 of them just in case. So don't worry about it Saul, buy what you like before somebody gets a notion to change it.

I can't even get my head around your question. I have multiples in Sako, Blaser, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Darne, and several British makers. What is the issue? To my mind, it is about the particular weapon - not the particular maker.

Rules are made to be broken... Own as many from each manufacture as you want.

Hey @Saul , I don't think you're even close to committing any acts of sacrilege. A true act of sacrilege would be if the rifle were a Remington :eek: Sorry @Bullthrower338 :D
A Dakota in just about any chambering is just a smart purchase (y)
I personally prefer having the same rifle in different chamberings set up similarly.
Ya gotta go for it!

Never had a problem owning more than one of the same manufacturer, caliber, model, color or anything else. If I find something I really like, I usually buy at least one more of the exact same thing, boots, cloths, knives and rifles/pistols. Usually as soon as I get comfortable with something the damn manufacturer either changes it or discontinue it. One such item was the Remington 700 Sendero in 300 RUM, I bought 3 of them just in case. So don't worry about it Saul, buy what you like before somebody gets a notion to change it.
They haven't made a gun yet that you don't like!

Four model 70s. Three RSMs. One Number 1, (in process of being sold), an English, an Italian and a Spanish double. And a few others I have had around over 40 years!

Dammit you guys! I wanted someone to talk me out of buying another .257 Weatherby and spending the money on another Dakota! Now it seems like I am going to have to do it :)

Do you think it is confusing bringing your guns through the airport in Africa if they are exactly the same make and model other than the chambering? I can just imagine the TSA agent fighting with me over why the paperwork says Dakota model 76 in .257 Weatherby but this gun is clearly in .280 AI...

I own 16 firearms. The only "rule" I have is no Weatherby cartridge chamberings.

1 Sako, 1 Musgrave, 7 Brno.s, 1 Weatherby actioned custom, 1 Greener, 1 Renato Gamba, 1 Hungarian, 1 FN Browning, 1 S&W, 1 Glock.

Go for it buy what you enjoy shooting.

Just make sure the paperwork, rifle caliber markings, ammo(shells included) are all marked for the same caliber.

The 257 Wby is a great cartridge if you get enough barrel for it to work. Nothing wrong with having rifles or guns of the same maker. My preferred rifle for hunting herbivores less than 300 pounds is a 7-08 Sako 85 , for herbivores over 300 is a Winchester Alaskan 338. Neither are the same maker but if they were it wouldn't be a problem.

When I recently decided to buy some guns again, having had none for a few years, I was after CZs or Brnos. I wasn't set only on buying from this manufacturer and if I had found the calibre I wanted in a rifle I liked the look and feel of I would have bought it. I guess I was just lucky in the end to find what I wanted made by CZ.

In the last few weeks I decided I wanted a .243 and again was lucky enough to find a Brno of almost exactly the same era as my 30-06. Although they are date stamped a year apart the 30-06 is marked CZ and the .243 Brno. One says made in Czech republic the other made in Czechoslovakia. I do love a bit of history.

So to answer the question I have no problem owning very similar rifles in different calibres.

I have 2 mauser rifles, 7x57 and .22, and three CZ rifles, .308, .223 and .375.
All are set up almost identically with the same slings rings and scopes.
If I had to buy another it would be a CZ.

Okay, I also have SIG AR which I love but I feel guilty mentioning that here...

I own several and all are the same manufacturer. My reasoning is simple, the safety and trigger, stock, scopes, etc are the same (scopes are different powers). When hunting, I don't have to think where's the safety, or how the rifle feels, etc. I know how they fit and how they shoot.

Think this way: On a bird shoot, you've got a mossberg, remington, and winchester. Autos, pumps, and O/U. The safeties are different and you're fiddling trying to get the safety off and the bird goes out of range.

I prefer for all mine to be the same and I prefer SAKOs, though the Dakota is a beautiful weapon, for sure!!

Three (3) SAKO 85 Classics so far, and trying to justify what to get next.

Rugers have always been good to me , got a handful of sakos , quite a few mauser and mauser derivatives and only one remington 700 in 8mm rem mag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg