Owning Multiple Rifles from the Same Manufacturer?

I have not ruled out ordering a Dakota model 97 in .257 Weatherby though so there is still time to enable my gun addiction.

If you don't buy it your are letting the entire AH community down, and we will forever speak of you in hushed tones.:D

I tend to acquire rifles in "family" groupings - Sako rifles in .222, 25-06, .308, .3006, .35Whelen & .375, Brno Czech Mausers in .222, 7x57. 7x64, 30-06, & 8x57, Anschutz rifles in .22LR, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet, and .222, Ruger Rifles in .250 Savage, .30-06, and .375H&H, etc. I also have several single maker/cartridge examples. Each one has its place and gets used. The only way to know if you'll like a rifle is buy and try.

My rule is I don't buy factory built centerfire rifles.:A Stirring: For what some of them cost, a custom built one that shoots twice as good can be bought for the same or less. YMMV.

For rimfires, I must admit to owning two Anschutz 1507s one with a sporter and one with wide forearm stock. The are 17HM2s, what some consider a useless chambering.

To the OP, resist the urge to duplicate. Unless you are going to cosmolene it and save it to sell at some future point, spend your money on a custom in the same chambering.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think you've got to have rifles all from the same company, but the same or a very similar manual of arms for all your bolt actions makes sense. Take me for instance, both my Savages and my Steyr have a tang-mounted three position safety and that will extend to when I add a dangerous game rifle to my battery.

No matter if its my .223 varmit rifle, my .243 medium game rifle, my .270 general purpose rifle, or my next purchase of a .375 big game rifle, if I throw it to my shoulder they will operate the exact same way and I think that's very important.

Nothing wrong at all with multiple from the same manufacturer. As more than one person pointed out, everything is the same so you are used to it and work with easier. I own a Thompson/Center Encore and the best move I made was getting multiple barrels for it. Mostly I use the .22 for a lot of consistent cheap practice and the 30-06 for most of my hunting up until recently. The stock and action are the same so I know it blindfolded.
My recent additions of a Savage 16 and Ruger #1 have really me how little things make a big difference as I get used to each ones differences in fit, feel, and mechanics.

My rule is I don't buy factory built centerfire rifles.:A Stirring: For what some of them cost, a custom built one that shoots twice as good can be bought for the same or less. YMMV.

For rimfires, I must admit to owning two Anschutz 1507s one with a sporter and one with wide forearm stock. The are 17HM2s, what some consider a useless chambering.

To the OP, resist the urge to duplicate. Unless you are going to cosmolene it and save it to sell at some future point, spend your money on a custom in the same chambering.
I need to meet your custom builders! :( However, one of the best buys on the market today are used custom rifles. I was at an auction two weeks ago where the estate was selling, among other things, some thirty custom built rifles, most of exquisite quality. I bought a lovely .270 built on FN action with quarter rib, grade 4 or 5 circasian walnut and custom rings and bases (I think I now own four .270's). No clue who built it, but he was a master gun maker. I paid 1500 for it, and it was mid-range of prices paid. One that went for a little more was a Dale Goens that sold for 2100. Good luck finding one of his for less than 4K. Ordering a new rifle from someone like Todd Ramirez will push you deep into the 20k range.

I would urge you to buy the rifle - not the brand. I have a couple of Winchesters, and have held others that someone would have had to pay me to take home. I like the Ruger No. 1 and have no use for most model 77's (the magnum excepted). I like some Sako's - some I do not. I hasten to add, nothing wrong with any of them - it is how they personally appeal to me. This no-name .270 is as fine a rifle as I own - it, like most, speaks for itself.

I have 30-06, 243, and 22lr all made by CZ I love CZ very well built and very accurate and I am a big fan of the Mauser action.
Markcz

I can't even get my head around your question. I have multiples in Sako, Blaser, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Darne, and several British makers. What is the issue? To my mind, it is about the particular weapon - not the particular maker.
You have posted gun room pics, I am envious of your collection.
You are bound to get multiples of a type I feel you are a serious collector, enthusiast or firearms user.

I have different makers , the same applies to scopes. My logic, I am trying to have examples of various makers, scopes or types in a small functional collection.
Eg, Bunny rifle, Spotlighting rifle, Varmint Rifle, Hunting rifle , Elephant gun, Mountain rifle . Each suitably scoped fit for purpose, the Elephants gun might at least get a run on Water Buffalo one day.

Among these are 6 Tikka’s. Mostly because some good secondhand ones can be had for $1000 and so I can use the modular design to reconfigure these for a purpose or build swapping accessories to suit my ideal at the time.

Another thread being resurrected.

Not at all . I personally would love to own a battery , comprising of four Winchester sporting arms :
- A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .270 Winchester
- A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .338 Winchester Magnum
- A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .458 Winchester Magnum
- A Winchester Model 21 side by side hammerless box-lock ejector shotgun in 12 bore ( 3 inch Magnum chambers )

So I think I am about to commit to acts of rifle sacrilege. First, I am looking at buying a non-Weatherby rifle in a Weatherby cartridge. Second, I am looking at buying the same model rifle that I already own. The rifle in question is a Dakota Arms model 76 in .257 Weatherby.

I was just wondering if y'all have a personal rule against owning too many rifles from the same manufacturer or at least in the same model. My Dakota is the nicest rifle I have ever owned but I still feel bad picking up another simply because there are so many great rifle manufacturers out that it seems like a waste to just have all of my guns in the same model from the same manufacturer.

Obviously this is a rather ridiculous question and is ultimately inconsequential but I just want to know if anyone else thinks like I do about this.
@Saul
No problems just get the bolts engraved with the rifle serial number so you don't accidentally put the wrong bolt in the wrong rifle. That could be embarrassing or dangerous if you mixed them up some how.
Bob

I've moved to a battery of one model for the most part. Other than my second centerfire rifle, a Ruger 77R in 25-06 with a Brown Precision stock (I can't sell and recover the stock money), and a Winchester Model 70 S/S 375 H&H, my battery is all Kimber; 84M Montana 17 Remington (Lilja Barrel), 84M 22-250 Varmint (in a Wildcat stock), 84M Montana 6.5 CM, 84M Hunter 308, 8400 Montana 300WSM. I decided to go to rifles that have the same controls and controlled round feed. Even the Winchester is just a less refined Kimber (bolt release is not as classy). I love the three position safety and CRF. I have found the Kimbers to just feel right to me. Accuracy as been good to stellar.

Not at all . I personally would love to own a battery , comprising of four Winchester sporting arms :
- A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .270 Winchester
- A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .338 Winchester Magnum
- A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .458 Winchester Magnum
- A Winchester Model 21 side by side hammerless box-lock ejector shotgun in 12 bore ( 3 inch Magnum chambers )

So your preferred battery would resemble this:

DSC_1263 (2).jpg

So your preferred battery would resemble this:

View attachment 375903
@Ray B
Why yes . I would prefer open iron sights on the .458 Winchester Magnum , however . Far more ideal for close quarters East Bengal jungle shooting and Problem Animal Control work . I would also prefer a traditional double trigger on the Winchester Model 21 . Far more reliable and ideal for an instant second shot , especially when one has to spoor wounded Asiatic leopards . I am quite envious of your excellent battery . That is indeed , a dream come true ( not that my custom Enfield Model 1917 action .458 Winchester Magnum or my Laurona 12 bore side-lock ejector leaves anything to be desired ) .

Last edited:
Too many to mention, most because of the opportunity to own them. I have made some purchases at a local auction that are in my opinion a bit rare, 1908 Brazilian Mauser Ceremonial never been fired, South African manufactured Vector Mauser in 25-06. Nothing custom except a 338 win mag synthetic stock. But really there should be no reason not to buy what you want. To quote my father "Don't worry about what others think, just make sure that you please yourself"

@Saul

Personaly, I have nothing against buying, or in all reality - that would be collecting - rifles from same maker. It could be due to pleaseure and pride of ownership, or due to need of various calibers, say for hunting on competition.

Having said that... my inventory is totaly diverse, not having two pieces of the same maker.
But this is accidental. I will explain.

When considering to buy new rifle, or pistol, I make my own check list - and that does not include the brand, but only technical specs and general utility of the firearms.

For example:
1. Choice of caliber (for hunting or target shooting, training, or specific hunt or sport disciplne), standard calibers - common calibers (vanilla), or less common - which will be harder to get in the shops? Price per round in the shop? (especially for target shooting purpose of the firearm?

2. Magazine?
Fixed, or removable? (there are pros and cons for each)
Capacity? 3-4-5? 10?
Plastic mag or metal?
Single stack or double stack?
Or even a singe shot?

3. Action?
Break action, double rifle?
Pump action?
Lever action?
Bolt action?
- turn bolt? Rotation? 60 degrees? 70 degrees? 90 degrees?
- Linear action? Which linear action with radial locking lugs, or rotating lug system?
- push feed / control round feed
Other action types?

4. Stock?
- Compsite, wood (which grade), laminate, chasis?
- Thumb hole, pistol grip, full stock, monte carlo, english stock, etc?

5. Sights?
With or without mechanical sights?

6. Optical sight mount sistem?
- Piccatiny? Factory designed mount system? Dove tail? Drilled and tapped only?

5. Trigger system?
SIngle set trigger, double set trigger, etc?

6. Safety
2 posn safety, three posisiton safety, latest " german forspanung", tang safety, etc etc

7. Barrel, if that is important?
Forged barrel, button rifled, cut barrel? In addition, chrio treated or not?
Chrome moly, or stainless?

8. Barrel profile?

9. barrel lenght?

20 inch, 22, 24, 26?

9. General specs:
Over all weight, overall lenght, LOP, etc etc

Once when you click and choose to each point of your future rifle need, and this is how I choose my rifles (similar for shotguns, or pistols), you will see that it is impossible to have collection of rifles of the same maker for all the purposes.

You will aslo note, if you click to the check list honestly, then from all those avialble brands, you will come down to one very short list, with only few acceptable models, of different brands.

So, most probably people having rifle collection of the same brand are actually that brand fans. Nothing wrong with that, but it just comes down to general motive of buying, utility, or collection.

I own multiple rifles on ZKK Brno actions:
243W
7x57mm(also one Mod 21 Brno)
375H&H
375H&H(going to become AI or 404 Jeff)
500 Jeff
Brno Sidelock Poormans 12ga double fitted with sights

Oh my goodness! Currently, five of my bolt rifles are CRF Win M 70s. I have one BRNO 602, one Loewe Mauser M95 and one Montana M‘99. My one decent 22 is a Win M52 bolt sporter.

In the past, prior to my latest sell-off, I’ve had, loaded for and shot at least 28 different calibers. Primarily in old Winchester levers and single shots like M1876s, M1873s, M1892s, M1886s, M1885s, M1894s and M1895s. Plus... an assortment including: original and Shiloh and C Sharps M1874s along with Rem Rolling Blocks and Trapdoors and 577 Sniders. Along with... a few flavors of Savages, Marlins and Remington bolts. Have loaded for and shot every single caliber of the 28 I’ve owned. Some were same caliber in multiple rifles. No regrets, as most of my Africa trips have been funded in large part by the liquidations and the experience and education gleaned alone the way has been priceless! :)

Last edited:
I enjoyed shooting my 375 in a CZ 550 so much that when I wanted to expand my bigger rifle selection I got another 375, 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott. I am also hoping to find a 404 one day, and am looking at a 505 Gibbs a little as well.

Have two FN Belgium browning mausers, one in 338 other in 375, beautiful smooth rifles.

I liked the ssg3000 so much I purchased two more along with different stocks and barrels . Love those heavy rifles.

I think a selection of Rigby's in 275,375,416 and 450 Rigby would be awesome as well. Too many rifles and too little time....

I have 10 different manufacturer's rifles. Only 2 of them are the same caliber, 308. Yes. I have 2 Weatherby calibers and 3 of the WSM calibers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg