New Member from Texas

7mmGumbo

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
U.S.A. Texas and Oklahoma
Good morning everyone. Thank you all for the add.

Most of my hunting experience is with waterfowl and doves. I have hunted white tail deer extensively in Oklahoma. I have one elk hunt and one pronghorn antelope hunt under my belt. Twice I have hunted feral hogs in south Texas with dogs.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! Time to get busy and plan a safari!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH 7mmGumbo! Enjoy exploring the site.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH !

7mmGumbo, welcome to AH. Were you carrying a Bowie Knife or a rifle during your hog hunts? I was fascinated by a Blue Nose Pit that roamed around the cabins where I hunted hogs the first time. The dog was recovering from a nasty gash on his left shoulder that had been given to him by an uncooperative boar. Towards people he was friendlier than a greeter at Walmart. Towards hogs not so much. I enjoyed learning about "how to train a catch dog." Do you have any thoughts or plans of hunting Africa?

7mmGumbo, welcome to AH. Were you carrying a Bowie Knife or a rifle during your hog hunts? I was fascinated by a Blue Nose Pit that roamed around the cabins where I hunted hogs the first time. The dog was recovering from a nasty gash on his left shoulder that had been given to him by an uncooperative boar. Towards people he was friendlier than a greeter at Walmart. Towards hogs not so much. I enjoyed learning about "how to train a catch dog." Do you have any thoughts or plans of hunting Africa?

Thank you all for the kind replies.

Twice I have hunted feral hogs behind dog’s in south Texas on a large ranch in La Salle county. Both times the guide/dog handler has had a large custom made knife that was used to dispatch the quarry. Blade is approximately 10” with a narrow clip point style blade. Think of a long Buck 119 style knife. I believe the blade was made from a large file and the handle material was stacked leather washers. The blade was wickedly sharp and I remember it going into the hog much like the proverbial “hot knife through butter”.

I agree that the catch dogs are special. I have seen one tossed over 10 feet almost straight up by a fighting hog with the dog rejoining the fray immediately upon landing on the ground. The courage and tenacity displayed was unforgettable.

66B5D85D-DE5F-4DA5-8B62-7D6CE78ED8A0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH

Giday and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome aboard!

Mark

Yes indeed. I hear a gemsbok, impala and a kudu calling my name!

Welcome aboard and enjoy the planning!

Sounds like your wish-list is already forming. :)

Welcome to AH

Some folks here hunt hogs with dogs too:

But when dogs are called back , we shoot them(the hogs, not the dogs).

Attachments

• 55185_600x400.jpg
    55185_600x400.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from San Antonio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!