Looking to book back to back hunts while in South Africa

Deuce

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Canada(Ontario and Quebec), USA (MI, OH, MT, CO)
I already have a trip booked for the end of May 2024 in RSA in the Limpopo region. How difficult would it be to find a shorter hunt in the Cape before or after my current hunt and what logistical nightmares does that create?

I would love to go after different species and see new areas.

Fairly easy since you are staying in same country. After Limpopo hunt, go back to JNB, maybe spend the night there and then fly to Port Elizabeth or East London for the eastern cape hunt.

I did a Zim and Nam hunt back to back (without my rifles) and it was easy.

Folks do it all the time. Find another outfitter and go have fun

Good Day Deuce

Tsala Safaris have a wonderful area in the Norther Cape of South Africa.

The Norther Cape is different to Limpopo in landscape , vegetation and a few species that you find in their more natural environment like Springbuck and Gemsbuck.We also have lechwe and mountain zebra in the area to name a few.

You would be able to hunt a some of these species in a couples of days.Hunting technique is also different than in Limpopo

You are most welcome to contact me

Regards

Rouan

If you hunt with two different outfitters make sure you get a plan to have the trophies shipped together. You don’t want to pay two shipping and two customs broker charges, other than that really no logistical issues.

Are Gemsbok endemic to the Northern Cape ? I ask as they have always seemed very expensive in S.A. $1400 seems pretty spendy to my eyes. In Namibia I hunt them for as little as $500 for trophy and much less for cull animals.

Are Gemsbok endemic to the Northern Cape ? I ask as they have always seemed very expensive in S.A. $1400 seems pretty spendy to my eyes. In Namibia I hunt them for as little as $500 for trophy and much less for cull animals.
gemsies are indigenous to a number of areas in south africa
they are generally more expensive is SA, but not everywhere.

I already have a trip booked for the end of May 2024 in RSA in the Limpopo region. How difficult would it be to find a shorter hunt in the Cape before or after my current hunt and what logistical nightmares does that create?

I would love to go after different species and see new areas.
Very easy to do. I did Zim followed by Namibia and took my guns in 2009. Planning is key. For a strictly SA hunt, if you are adventurous rent a car, drive to first outfit then after hunt drive to next outfit. Driving in SA is not hard or dangerous, stay aware and be in hotel, camp or lodge before nightfall, due to animals on rd. Not 2 legged. I did this in SA for 21 days in 2021, car rental with unlimited KM was less than $1 K Cnd, had a blast, add all the big site seeing stops if you have the time and desire. Much better adventure and costs probably the same as flying, but you see more.

MB

Very easy to do. I did Zim followed by Namibia and took my guns in 2009. Planning is key. For a strictly SA hunt, if you are adventurous rent a car, drive to first outfit then after hunt drive to next outfit. Driving in SA is not hard or dangerous, stay aware and be in hotel, camp or lodge before nightfall, due to animals on rd. Not 2 legged. I did this in SA for 21 days in 2021, car rental with unlimited KM was less than $1 K Cnd, had a blast, add all the big site seeing stops if you have the time and desire. Much better adventure and costs probably the same as flying, but you see more.

MB
I agree with this. However be advised that you'l be driving on the left side of the road. Not a problem if you are comfortable. Besides SA traffic is better than here in US specially in rural areas with much less cars. Avoid staying in Johannesburg if you can. Not pretty and too much crime even during day time. I also don't suggest driving at night and you have to pre plan every stop including gas and lodging.

MB
I know getting into Namibia with guns is very easy but how was getting into Zim from Namibia?

Karoo Wild Safaris operates out of the Karoo, Eastern Cape. Our area is very diverse and supports a large range of species not found in the Limpopo area. I'd be happy to plan a hunt for you in our area.

I know getting into Namibia with guns is very easy but how was getting into Zim from Namibia?
Not sure off current rules regarding guns and Zim. I read something about Zim and taking guns is now a no go for Canadians?? I have no verified knowledge of that.

When we went in 09 it was a simple process, same as today for SA, for Zim Visa and pay the guard at Vic Falls airport the entry fee in cash. Took all of 5 mins.

From what I seen in SA people are watching way too much BS news and falling for it. Never felt unsafe anywhere in SA, maybe a little in Kruger when the big bull ele made us back up for a KM, clearly that stretch of road belonged to him. Stay aware, keep informed of the "hot" spots and do nothing dumb and I see no issue. Driving in SA requires no international DL, only a current DL from listed countries, Canada is one. Not sure about US. Anyone with reasonable driving skill and a brain can drive left side, get an auto tranny to make it even more easier.

My next safari will include: I will rent camper van and drive to many sites, I plan to do a 2 month, many country drive and camp tour along with safari that includes more of what I have yet to hunt. Rhino, honey badger and hippo come to mind.

Be ambitious and see places is what I say. SA is the perfect place to drive, see and do safari's back to back.

MB

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’m not sure I would be up for driving. I found myself thinking the PH was on the wrong side of the road each time we took a corner. I’m sure I would screw that one up, but overall traffic was pretty light once you got away from Johannesburg.

Trophy fees seem much cheaper for Eland, Black Wildebeest, Red Lechwe, springbok and of course they have the Eastern Cape Kudu at lower costs as well, but it sounds like they are typically smaller.

Doing some quick calculations it just seems like you lose that savings booking another flight and paying for additional days.

Shipping and Taxidermy fees would be the next concern unless they went to the same place.

From what I seen in SA people are watching way too much BS news and falling for it.
I have no idea when you were in SA but I was there last month visiting my son who is the Marine Attache at US Embassy in Pretoria and I drove more than 1000 miles all over. I don't want to get into details on a public forum but I would advice anyone traveling in SA by themselves to be aware of their surroundings specially in big cities and definitely not drive at night. Countryside and hunting areas are totally fine and safe.

I have no idea when you were in SA but I was there last month visiting my son who is the Marine Attache at US Embassy in Pretoria and I drove more than 1000 miles all over. I don't want to get into details on a public forum but I would advice anyone traveling in SA by themselves to be aware of their surroundings specially in big cities and definitely not drive at night. Countryside and hunting areas are totally fine and safe.
I was there in 21 for 8 weeks, I also spent 34 yrs in service, maybe those years and places I was told to go to made me a little better prepared for SA. We agree on all, be aware, watch your surroundings, do nothing stupid (display money, alcohol or drug related) and do not drive at night. I really did not see SA any more dangerous than any big US city I have been in. San Diego at night in late 90,s was dangerous. We put a little over 8000 km on the rental in 5 weeks, went from border North to South and East to West.

My point about the news is valid, the gang violence and shootings in Vancouver does not make Canada unsafe, same for Mexico and many other glorified madness events by our current news. Many on here stated that we should cancel our trip due to it being unsafe, yes small places may have been, but if you are informed, follow above safety rules are adhered too them its a very safe country to self drive.

MB

actually Tallyho and LJ safaris offered exactly this as a package , didnt get a single bite

whomever you hunt with in limpopo after that i would recommend LJ in eastern cape, they will sort out all your needs

I like the idea of back to back hunts. I would love to hunt the northern part of the country then drop to the east cape for some of the specialties there that you can’t get or that are rare other places.
Vaal Reebok I’m coming for you. . .

I like the idea of back to back hunts. I would love to hunt the northern part of the country then drop to the east cape for some of the specialties there that you can’t get or that are rare other places.
Vaal Reebok I’m coming for you. . .

This is the right way to think about this; both areas can offer unique and different experiences.

If its just a spread sheet comparison of costs, it misses the whole point of going to different places.

Although I have done back to back hunts a couple times between different countries; I’d like to do 2 in one country at some point, and East Cape for its unique species would be a good bookend.

My safari in 21 had 5 camps all over SA, I started planning by cherry picking amazing deals and offers on here with the plan to book multiple hunts with a few days in between, rent car and self drive to each. Then our outfitter gave me a price I could not say no to, he did all the planning, the driving and included all food and accommodations. I jumped on his offer, completed the 21 day hunt then did our 3 week tourist part, hitting all in SA that we wanted, shark dive, penguins, table mnt and Kruger.

I will do this again next time. Well worth it and lifetime memories one gets, bigger than simply a safari.

@Deuce can easily do this, contact your outfitter and see what he says, maybe he has access to other areas and can drive you, OR if you are adventurous and feel confident rent the car and self drive. If you choose the latter, plan more days for the "lets stop and look at this" what ifs. SA is awesome with tons to see and do.

MB

Fairly easy since you are staying in same country. After Limpopo hunt, go back to JNB, maybe spend the night there and then fly to Port Elizabeth or East London for the eastern cape hunt.

I did a Zim and Nam hunt back to back (without my rifles) and it was easy.
Next week I’m hunting Zim for 10 days then SA for 5. Really not hard to do just takes planning with a good travel agent for air travel arrangements

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you