I need some coaching, haven’t hunted South Africa since 2003

Gringocazador

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Thinking about going back for another plains game hunt. It’s been a while, 2003 was the last and only time I’ve been to Africa. Hunted with Scottco Safari,Mopane Ranch, up North near the border with Zim. In fact got Married at the Mopane Ranch, which only lasted 2yrs. Pretty much rules out taking my current wife back to hunt with Jaco Scott. I can her her say, so this where you and that crazy b.......h got married. Probably should look at another Safari Company LOL.

To late to plan for 2021, along with all the Covid stuff, will wait till 2022. I plan to retire June of 2022. Although I haven’t discussed with my wife. No telling if she will want to tag along, say can I hunt to or tell me if I go. Or to come back, if the later I will miss her LOL.

Thinking I want to take Nyala, Eland to and would settle for Cape Eland. would guess East Cape. With that said I like the Bushveld, my kind of country after all the years hunting South Texas and Northeast Mexico.

I have no idea what’s changed, other than price which looks to have really gone up.

I’m 64 and not getting any younger, I need to keep my aged in perspective.

Comments please. This looks to be a very good sire for information, can’t believe I haven’t ran across it before.

Thanks Billy

Would be happy to discuss with you with Jacques and @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. Jacques has a number of areas in South Africa he hunts including great areas for Nyala and Eland. Please let me know how I can help!

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you will find all the information you're after here. What I'd like to know from you, is how in the hell did you go in 2003 and not have been back yet??

Contact site sponsors and ask for a package deal that includes your animals and a price list for others. If not interested in taxidermy, consider a cull hunt package like the one Nick Bowker is advertising here. Age wise, check out Global Rescue and Ripcord policies for evacuation and travel insurance.

Thinking about going back for another plains game hunt. It’s been a while, 2003 was the last and only time I’ve been to Africa. Hunted with Scottco Safari,Mopane Ranch, up North near the border with Zim. In fact got Married at the Mopane Ranch, which only lasted 2yrs. Pretty much rules out taking my current wife back to hunt with Jaco Scott. I can her her say, so this where you and that crazy b.......h got married. Probably should look at another Safari Company LOL.

To late to plan for 2021, along with all the Covid stuff, will wait till 2022. I plan to retire June of 2022. Although I haven’t discussed with my wife. No telling if she will want to tag along, say can I hunt to or tell me if I go. Or to come back, if the later I will miss her LOL.

Thinking I want to take Nyala, Eland to and would settle for Cape Eland. would guess East Cape. With that said I like the Bushveld, my kind of country after all the years hunting South Texas and Northeast Mexico.

I have no idea what’s changed, other than price which looks to have really gone up.

I’m 64 and not getting any younger, I need to keep my aged in perspective.

Comments please. This looks to be a very good sire for information, can’t believe I haven’t ran across it before.

Thanks Billy

Hi Billy,
Please feel free to send me a PM or email. We are situated in the Eastern Cape, and I am sure that I can present you with a great experience, hunting huge areas for quality game.
All the best with your research.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome aboard!

Lots of great outfitters on this site. Reach out to them with questions. Quite a few of them have many positive reports and happy hunters under the belts.

May not help with the nyala but You may want to consider Botswana or Namibia for a PG hunt in large wild areas. I love to track eland which would tend to push me toward the Hills around Otavi, Namibia or possibly to the Northern Kalahari in Botswana.

Welcome to AH.
If you have not seen the Eastern Cape yet you will enjoy the differences from further north.
The Spiral horns are always higher on a hunters list. They remain my favourites.
Good luck planning your hunt.

Welcome aboard sir, please let me know if you would like to discuss the option of hunting the North West province? We are a short comfortable 2 hr drive west of Johannesburg international airport. And the area looks alot like what you are used to hunting in Texas!!!

Enjoy the planning
My personal best
Gerrit

Reactions: WAB
:S Welcome:

Hi Billy, welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH. As has been mentioned you should look some of the site sponsors. Look at hunt reports. That will tell you a lot about a prospective outfitter to hunt with. Then look in the deals offered section. There have been some awesome deals posted in the last 6-8 months. Good luck.
Bruce

One thing to add. It really isn't too late to think about 2021. Summer and early Fall are great times to hunt in Africa. You are still 3/4 of the year away, plenty of time to plan and do.

I kicked around trying to make something happen this year, I'm not quite ready. Job still gets in the way. Also concerned about my foot. Broke it in August and it was just about to where I could walk good and day after christmas tripped over dog gate. I want to made sure my foot is good.

I have to make sure I have the flight/travel thing down/understood. When I went in 2003, it was pretty simple. Went to IAH airport in Houston few weeks before my flight and did all the customers stuff for my guns and etc. Then flew Houston to Atlanta, then next day Atlanta to Joburg. PH had me picked up at the airport, drove me 45 min to the airport in Pretoria where Jaco Scott kept his air plane and flew me to his ranch where we landed on is private runway.

I bet flights/travel have changed since then. Throw covid in the mix and no telling what I don't know.

I've had some really outfits reach out from looking at their websites, really good start no doubt.

Thanks, Billy

Thanks, Billy

Hi Billy

Welcome and enjoy.Members on here have a huge amount of good and useful info that should be very helpful.

You are most welcome to consider Tsala Safaris , or if you have any questions I can help with.We are based in Limpopo about two hours north of Johannesburg Int Airport.Makes travel easy and and more time for hunting.

Regards

Rouan

Reactions: WAB
Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard Billy. Since you've been to Africa already you know what the hunting is like there. I agree with others that have suggested you check out the offers from the numerous outfitter / sponsors on AH. These guys are vetted almost continuously so they have to deliver. If you are taking your own guns, check out Rifle Permits (an AH sponsor) and Travel Express for a worry and hassle free Safari.

The long haul flight hasn’t gotten any shorter. The regional and regional international carriers in/out of JNB seem in constant flux. The hoop jumping exercises are as convoluted as ever so recommend a travel agent who specializes in Africa hunting safaris.

In addition to RSA, don’t discount Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, Botswana or Mozambique. Each destination is unique with much to offer.

Cape buffalo and eland always deserve serious consideration. No better hunt than tracking eland with good trackers. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg