I need some coaching, haven’t hunted South Africa since 2003

Thinking about going back for another plains game hunt. It’s been a while, 2003 was the last and only time I’ve been to Africa. Hunted with Scottco Safari,Mopane Ranch, up North near the border with Zim. In fact got Married at the Mopane Ranch, which only lasted 2yrs. Pretty much rules out taking my current wife back to hunt with Jaco Scott. I can her her say, so this where you and that crazy b.......h got married. Probably should look at another Safari Company LOL.

To late to plan for 2021, along with all the Covid stuff, will wait till 2022. I plan to retire June of 2022. Although I haven’t discussed with my wife. No telling if she will want to tag along, say can I hunt to or tell me if I go. Or to come back, if the later I will miss her LOL.

Thinking I want to take Nyala, Eland to and would settle for Cape Eland. would guess East Cape. With that said I like the Bushveld, my kind of country after all the years hunting South Texas and Northeast Mexico.

I have no idea what’s changed, other than price which looks to have really gone up.

I’m 64 and not getting any younger, I need to keep my aged in perspective.

Comments please. This looks to be a very good sire for information, can’t believe I haven’t ran across it before.

Thanks Billy

Thinking about going back for another plains game hunt. It’s been a while, 2003 was the last and only time I’ve been to Africa. Hunted with Scottco Safari,Mopane Ranch, up North near the border with Zim. In fact got Married at the Mopane Ranch, which only lasted 2yrs. Pretty much rules out taking my current wife back to hunt with Jaco Scott. I can her her say, so this where you and that crazy b.......h got married. Probably should look at another Safari Company LOL.

To late to plan for 2021, along with all the Covid stuff, will wait till 2022. I plan to retire June of 2022. Although I haven’t discussed with my wife. No telling if she will want to tag along, say can I hunt to or tell me if I go. Or to come back, if the later I will miss her LOL.

Thinking I want to take Nyala, Eland to and would settle for Cape Eland. would guess East Cape. With that said I like the Bushveld, my kind of country after all the years hunting South Texas and Northeast Mexico.

I have no idea what’s changed, other than price which looks to have really gone up.

Comments please. This looks to be a very good sire for information, can’t believe I haven’t ran across it before.

Thanks Billy
Welcome to the forum Billy. I sent you a private message.

Hello Billy
We have all the animals you talked about right here in one place.
Can track eland over vast open areas.
Saw 32 eland bulls together the other day running over one of our hunting roads with about 5 or 6 monstrous blue bulls among them.
Have very good nyala also.
See attached our price list.
Prices stayed the same for 2021.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Attachments

• De Klerk Price List 2020 in $.pdf
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 153

Thanks Billy
Dear @Gringocazador,
We at Rance Safaris can offer you both Nyala and Cape Eland on our spectacular Kei River Reserve. Have a look at our profile for more information, I will too send you more information directly.

Beat Regards,
Craig Middleton

Billy, welcome to the AH forum! You wont find a better place for information on hunting Africa.
Just a couple of reminders (since you've already been there). Practice off sticks. Try to get on them and pull the trigger within 5 seconds. Reload. Go for daily walks. The lack of being in the best of shape as possible has ruined many a hunt. On my 74th year i exercise 3 days a week in order to stay healthy enough to fish and hunt. There are guys on here still going strong in their 80s and still hunting Africa! They're my heros!

Best of luck preparing for and making a return to Africa!

Thanks Billy
Things have changed and some for the better over the years. Some outfitters have gotten bigger and scores of new ones are on the scene. Be careful and ask questions as there are so many new “drive you around” outfitters out there. You want to hunt X so they get on the phone and find X and go drive to someone’s place to hunt it. They don’t actually own much of anything. I’ll probably catch flack for his but everyone deserves to know exactly what they are paying for and what is available to them today.

There are now more flights to Africa than ever before from the US. It has not quite all shaken out as to what the prices will be going forward. Flights for this year, peak season, were/are high but I am sure 2022 flights should be back to some sort of normal or hopefully cheaper!

Do your homework and of course study posts here on AH to decide what is best for you. Please check out my YouTube channel for safari planning videos.
Regards
Philip

Ok, so you asked for flack, so I'm happy to oblige. I'm trying to understand what you are saying here, and whether you incorrectly painted everyone with the same brush.

The Eastern Cape is so diverse in terrain and vegetation. Are you saying that you would prefer to hunt everything in the same area, even though you know that you are hunting an animal outside of his natural environment? Because If you want to hunt them in their natural environment, there is no way that you can do so on a single area in the EC. For this, you would need a single tract of land of a million acres. What about laws of not being allowed to mix herds of Bontebok and Blesbuck, Blue Wildebeest and Black Wildebeest?
That is what makes the Eastern Cape such a special place, to see how quickly the terrain changes, and get to hunt these animals in their own habitat, instead of hunting animals that have been dropped off in an area for hunting. The Eastern Cape is home to all of the biomes, which is what enables the area to sustain the variety of species that is does.
If you want to hunt a Vaal Rhebuck, you need to travel inland to above 6000ft where you will start finding them. If you want to hunt Blue Duiker, you need to be close to the coastal forrest, and Cape Grysbuck among the Fynbos.
I agree with most you say Philip, but have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, unless I misunderstood.

Things have changed and some for the better over the years. Some outfitters have gotten bigger and scores of new ones are on the scene. Be careful and ask questions as there are so many new “drive you around” outfitters out there. You want to hunt X so they get on the phone and find X and go drive to someone’s place to hunt it. They don’t actually own much of anything. I’ll probably catch flack for his but everyone deserves to know exactly what they are paying for and what is available to them today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!