Hello!

igoswoop

Reaction score
I sincerely hope you and your families all have remained safe & healthy through this covid mess. With the extra time on my hands this spring, I've worn out a few PHC, Ruark and Corbett pieces to pass the time. Looking to sharpen up on my expectations over the next year while planning my first PG hunt to test the waters. If the outfit suits me, I plan to return the following season to cross off a buffalo. Where it goes after that? We'll see but I've wanted to visit Africa for over 30 years. Looking forward to it.

Welcome to AH igoswoop! Enjoy exploring the site and looking forward to your participation. You found an incredible resource to plan your trip.

Thank you! Been a lurker for a few weeks and the list of questions and need for feedback is steadily growing.
One small question: could you point me to the most reliable search mechanism for this site in order to not start redundant threads? Google Advanced Search? Nobody likes "that" guy.

Welcome to AH !

Hello and welcome!

Giday igoswoop and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome @igoswoop

You are in the right place to plan your Africa hunt. And please let me know if we can be of any assistance!!

My personal best
Gerrit

igoswoop, welcome to the AH forum! Here’s hoping we can all get to, or back to Africa sooner than later. At my age, I only have so much time left.

Igoswoop, please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Are you thinking about a PG hunt in 2021? AH is certainly the best site on the web for you to get the info necessary to plan your first hunt. Start by reading the older posts, they contain a lot of useful information.

Igoswoop, please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Are you thinking about a PG hunt in 2021? AH is certainly the best site on the web for you to get the info necessary to plan your first hunt. Start by reading the older posts, they contain a lot of useful information.

I've lived in Florida my whole life and other than some waterfowl trips, I have almost exclusively hunted within the state. Whitetail Deer are the largest animals I've taken. Florida "backcountry" is thick. Our deer are small, turkeys are smart but we've got pigs everywhere and its very difficult to beat their nose. Most shots on game have been under 100yds and are frequently under 50. I've taken most of my deer in our archery seasons from tree stands. I spend more time pursuing waterfowl though locally. We have some pretty good gunning if you're willing to work for it.

As far as sporting rifle calibers go, I use a .30-30 and a .45-70 in the thicker woods and a .270 & a .308 if given the opportunity to shoot beyond 200yds. My preferred long range rifle chambering at the moment is the 300 Norma but it's overkill for anything hunting related around here and probably a PG hunt for that matter. I've got most of my experience shooting the .308 at longer ranges so that'll most likely be my choice for a PG hunt. I'll be adding a 375H&H soon but this is just to start getting familiar with the caliber, not bringing it on round 1.

I am set up to reload for all my rifles but don't always need to. Some of my recent Berger ammunition factory loads get along just fine with the rifles I own.

2021 would be great to get out and do it but I think I need to save a little more $$$ to do the right hunt. I'm looking to build a longer term relationship with an outfitter that will put me on a buffalo at some point. PH staff and guides change from time to time but I want to get a feel for the outfit. Hopefully the one I ultimately book will have a staple staff and not a revolving door at the front. Bottom line, I want to get to know the guy I'd be following in after a buffalo. I want supreme confidence in his abilities before that event. I'm not expecting a Harry Potter to be able to protect me but I'm looking for some good judgement and the right skill set. I'll do my part but want it to be without question that I know that he'll do his.

I've got a lot to learn.

Welcome to AH!

Welcomes to AH!

I sincerely hope you and your families all have remained safe & healthy through this covid mess. With the extra time on my hands this spring, I've worn out a few PHC, Ruark and Corbett pieces to pass the time. Looking to sharpen up on my expectations over the next year while planning my first PG hunt to test the waters. If the outfit suits me, I plan to return the following season to cross off a buffalo. Where it goes after that? We'll see but I've wanted to visit Africa for over 30 years. Looking forward to it.

Welcome to AH! It would be a pleasure to speak with you about what @JKO Hunting Safaris would offer you in both the short and longer term future for your hunting plans in Africa. Please let me know how I can help.

Welcome to the forum! You will not find a friendlier, more knowledgeable group of gentlemen. You are truly in the finest company when planning for your first hunt.

May I inquire where in Florida do you live? I live part time at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo if you know the area.

Good Day Igoswoop

Welcome to AH.Enjoy the site !Great people that would be happy to share their wealth of knowledge with you.Ask as many questions as you can.

There are great outfitters on here that you will be comfortable with.

I would like to invite you to consider Tsala Hunting Safaris.One of the pillars of our business is long term relationships with our clients.You are most welcome to contact me.

Enjoy!

Rouan

Hello Igoswoop,

Welcome to the forum sir. Planning your first safari is exciting and can also be a daunting task with so many options available.

I would be thrilled to help you tick off some of the questions you have and your 300 Norma will be more than enough for your plains game safari.

Enjoy the planning and please do not hesitate to send me any questions.

All my best,

Jacques

Welcome @igoswoop. This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy and have fun planning!

Please keep us in mind for helping to get your trophies home!

- Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felicia17I

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you