www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
After following this bull into some pretty flat ground with thick vegetation, we were left to try and stalk in real close by means of having someone on a high point guide us in by means of radio. From the vantage point, almost 3/4 of a mile away, we were slowly instructed, step by step to get to our quarry.
As luck would have it, the wind turned, and the herd gathered our scent.

The difficult part was that there were two bulls in this herd of cows, and not too far apart on trophy quality. We wanted the oldest bull. The herd spooked, and we watched them running away, what seemed like days, only leaving a dust cloud in their wake. After climbing to another vantage point, we recognised their direction, and realised that we could get ahead of them and possibly approach them from above.
We watched as the herd became peaceful again, standing under a few trees in some thickets. We made the move, and came over the top of them, or at least where we thought they should be. The value of local knowledge soon paid off, as individual animals started showing themselves below us.

IMG_20180705_122055.jpg

Last edited:
That was a fantastic day's hunting Marius and those Eland gave us a great stalk. Hearing that Woodleigh slap home was a big relief after getting the run-around ;)

Can't wait to do it all again soon!

They show up when you least expect them. And then things get interesting.
Great hunt, great shot.

That was a fantastic day's hunting Marius and those Eland gave us a great stalk. Hearing that Woodleigh slap home was a big relief after getting the run-around ;)

What cal blacks? Beautiful animal, they're the best Africa has to offer in my opinion.

Great Eland, well done!

What cal blacks? Beautiful animal, they're the best Africa has to offer in my opinion.

It was a Kimber classic select .300 Win Mag firing 180gn Woodleighs, belonging to my good mate @Mark R . The 300 yard shot was stretching it a little, but we got it done after a great team effort from the KMG crew (y)

Agreed they are a fantastic species to hunt!

Awesome, will be chasing them with Marius and my . 300 win mag VERY soon

Fantastic, best of luck!

81 days till I again hunt with Marius, no eland this time though as we are hitting the mountains ;)

It was a Kimber classic select .300 Win Mag firing 180gn Woodleighs, belonging to my good mate @Mark R . The 300 yard shot was stretching it a little, but we got it done after a great team effort from the KMG crew (y)

Agreed they are a fantastic species to hunt!

300yards stretching it?...... Pffft.... Once it gets there, what are you doing with the rest of the powder? :D

300yards stretching it?...... Pffft.... Once it gets there, what are you doing with the rest of the powder? :D

:LOL: Far enough for this little black duck with a borrowed rifle on the sticks. I preferred the 8 yard shot on the Bushbuck....didn't even use sticks for that one! Missed the dewlap though :ROFLMAO:

Wondered if the dewlap would get a run.... I was going to make sure anyway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Mark.

Wondered if the dewlap would get a run.... I was going to make sure anyway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Mark.

What are mates for? :ROFLMAO:

There's a saying amongst African hunters... "The dewlap is the gateway to the shoulder" ;):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg