Buffalo hunt recommendations

ToddG

Reaction score
I rarely post but follow this site regularly and appreciate all the information that is shared here. I have hunted plains game a couple of times in SA and I am now wanting to do a buffalo hunt in 2022. Tanzania would be an awesome adventure but budget realities will probably restrict it to SA. With that being said, I would like to hunt on a large concession with thick vegetation requiring tracking/stalking and looking over multiple animals until we find the right one. Not really interested in driving around in a vehicle and making a short stalk on an animal, hunting one specific bull on a small area, or shooting one at longer ranges. Ideally, the hunt would take multiple days with several blown stalks, close encounters, and end with a shot on a bull at relatively close range. I have already talked with Kuche, Graham Sales, and Somerby safaris and it appears that they have hunts as I have described. Any information from anyone who has buffalo hunted with these outfitters would be appreciated. Recommendations on other outfitters that could provide the type of hunt we are looking for would also be appreciated. Perhaps it is a bit soon to be looking for 2022 but I recognize the better hunts will sell earlier and would like to hunt during prime dates. Thank you for any information you can share.

Sounds like the type of hunt I would also like some day. I am sure it is out there. Please write a report when you get back.

Hi Todd

Buffalo hunting is always a good challenge.

You can also look at Namibia for Buffalo hunting. Buffalo are hunted in the legendary Caprivi area. Concessions are big and it is a completely wild area. Most areas there have very good buffalo and very good hunting. The hunts in the Caprivi are usually about 8 days. You will undoubtably do lots of stalking and scanning to find that old warn down hero.

Some areas easily have 300-500 buffalo passing through daily with resident buffalo also. There are no fences in the Caprivi making it very wild area.

But it all dependent on your area where you are as sometimes buffalo are in the open and sometimes in thick vegetation. But the guides wil get you in as close as possibly can. If have experienced shot been taking at 25 yards.

But you can’t go wrong with looking at Namibia also.

My wife and I hunted PG with Somerby in May/June 2019.
We booked with them for Buffalo in 2022.
Great people and great experience, highly recommend them.

Research research research!

There are still wild area hunts as well that wont break the bank. Zim and Moz come to mind. There are even reasonable buff hunts in Tanzania if you look hard enough.

I'm not trying to talk you out of SA. There will be some places there that may fit what you want. But dont assume that some of the wilder places cant be competitive price wise for what you're looking for.

Just one example belpw if you haven't seen it. I hunted elephant with Wayne in 2017. And the PH for the buffalo in my avatar recently had a deal for $10k as I recall, also in Zim. There are good values to be had out there.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/buffalo-hunts-available-zimbabwe-2020.55344/#post-625591

I rarely post but follow this site regularly and appreciate all the information that is shared here. I have hunted plains game a couple of times in SA and I am now wanting to do a buffalo hunt in 2022. Tanzania would be an awesome adventure but budget realities will probably restrict it to SA. With that being said, I would like to hunt on a large concession with thick vegetation requiring tracking/stalking and looking over multiple animals until we find the right one. Not really interested in driving around in a vehicle and making a short stalk on an animal, hunting one specific bull on a small area, or shooting one at longer ranges. Ideally, the hunt would take multiple days with several blown stalks, close encounters, and end with a shot on a bull at relatively close range. I have already talked with Kuche, Graham Sales, and Somerby safaris and it appears that they have hunts as I have described. Any information from anyone who has buffalo hunted with these outfitters would be appreciated. Recommendations on other outfitters that could provide the type of hunt we are looking for would also be appreciated. Perhaps it is a bit soon to be looking for 2022 but I recognize the better hunts will sell earlier and would like to hunt during prime dates. Thank you for any information you can share.

Contact De Beer Safaris, Willem could find you what your looking for, Im going after buffalo this May with him

Check out Motsomi Safaris. Hunted on the Buffalo Ranch which was
23000 acres . Took one friend 4days and the other 6. Lots of stalks and up close hunting
They also have a area in Tanzania 750000 acres with tremendous Buffalo.. Reasonable price.

I'm booked for buff and PG with KMG Safaris for 2021. They have a great reputation, including that of hunting hard for self-sustaining herds of animals of all species. Marius has been very good with communication, strikes me as an honest guy, and I have full confidence in him/KMG and the experience and cant wait! There is an ongoing thread of a "live" report hunting with them now for buff, cutting tracks, multiple stalks, etc.

I Intend on visiting a "wilder" land one day for buff too, particularly one of the options where day fees may be a touch higher but can add a second bull for fairly cheap, but for the first one and with a PG list, I think this is the right choice for me for this hunt and it cant get here fast enough!

@JKO Hunting Safaris can definitely provide you a buffalo hunt on a large property in the Free State in RSA. The property holds a self sustaining herd of buffalo. I saw the cows/calves myself last year. It is a mix of open terrain and thick brush. You'll see the buffalo in open country quite often, but they will retreat to the thick stuff when they see you. This is on a 45,000 acre property.

We can also arrange for hunts in Zimbabwe in a few different areas that range in price. Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Coastal Mozambique and its Zambezi Delta is a fabulous experience with other interesting critters to throw into the mix. Grant Taylor of @Mashambanzou Safaris is one of our sponsors. https://www.mashambanzousafaris.com/ I have been there twice with great success. They can make you a competitive offer, and you will be hunting free range herds in true wilderness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give Terry Fenn of Chinanga Safaris a call. He's got a great offer on right now in one of the better concessions in Zim: 7 day buffalo hunt for $11 500.00 (PG on quota, at extra discount cost).

He also does Zambia where I got 4 great DG trophies in one 7-day hunt (seriously the number and wealth of game in Zambia really needs to be SEEN to be believed!! Herds of 700+ are common, and we'd stalked in to 5yds of them on a few occasions!!) I know you will have a great time with Terry guiding you. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
A couple of thing to think about when considering RSA for Buffalo. Rowland Ward generally will not accept Buffalo into their record book from RSA with a few exceptions. A lot are put and take operations with herds of bulls and no or few cows.

How about Zimbabwe? Not that much more expensive than RSA (7 days $14K, 10 days $16K including trophy fees).
I am hunting with www.cmsafaris.com this year for buffalo among others.

Hi Todd,

It’s sounds like you are looking after the experience more than the pulling of the trigger. That’s the way it’s supposed to be!
We have two concessions in SA. One is 10,000 acres and the other is 54,000 acres. The larger one has had a self sustaining herds on it since 1994. It’s a tough hunt and will require a certain degree of fitness. These buffalo live in the thick stuff and are not by any means a easy hunt. We have a limited amount of quota so if you are interested email me and I will and you some more information.
There are quite a few good outfitters here so I am sure within the next two years you will be able to find the hunt you are looking for.

How about Zimbabwe? Not that much more expensive than RSA (7 days $14K, 10 days $16K including trophy fees).
I am hunting with www.cmsafaris.com this year for buffalo among others.
I hunted there this year as well.Top notch, amazing food, great PH Keith

hi there

we offer exactly what you are looking for

will send you a PM

I hunted there this year as well.Top notch, amazing food, great PH Keith

As did my wife and I. Great hunt. Report posted in Sept last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg