Shavesgreen

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hi Guys,

I have been offered a BRNO 602 in .375 H&H with an old Ziess 4x scope fitted on QD mounts in good but used condition. I have not discussed a price as yet, what do you think would be fair? Can anyone tell me what the factory barrel length would be?

I would appreciate any advise on this model and things to look for when buying.

Many thanks,
Charly

I am no expert here, but I did some digging. I think the 602 is a "cock on bolt going forward" design. It should hold 5-6 rounds in the magazine. I think they stopped making them in the late 1980s. One report I saw said they are accurate, but hard to find and fit a scope mount. Sounds like yours had that problem fixed.

This is from an old article I found:

"The ZKK 602 is a true Mauser action with an easy five-round capacity (this is at least one round more than most .375's). The rifle has a 25" barrel with integral recoil lug and rear sight base, barrel band and front sight ramp. The rifles do have some rough edges including the trigger and difficulty in mounting scopes. The rifle's other drawback is its stock -- the "hogback" stock is not very pretty."

The last auction I found where one sold, it went for around $1,000 USD.

Hope this helps .... :cool:

I have had two of these rifles (ZKK 602) in 375 H&H through the years.
They are a bit rough, but one of thebest full size actions made after WWII in my humble opinion.

Usually very accurate, a little bit on the heavy side, but that´s a pluss regarding recoil.

Warne used to made really good one piece mounts/rings for the 602 that clamped right on.

They where delivered with two different stocks, the traditionally hog back, and a more classick type.

Both have a bit of drop on the heel, made to fit the open sights, which are one standing for 100m and two folding for 2 and 300 meters.
Because of the drop, they tend to have a bit more muzzle flip than with a more straight stock.

They where also delivered with two different triggers, one standard and one set trigger.
The last one is pressed forward to engage, and then brake with a tiny amount of pressure.

I never understood why they did put such a trigger on a 375 H&H, but they did.

All in all, a very good and accurate rifle, which take a beating with flying colours!

Like Arild, I have also had a couple over the years, one .375 and one in .458 Win. I think he has summed up my thoughts on these rifles nicely. I would not hesitate to own anothe one. With a couple of hundred invested in 'fine tuning' you will have a real work horse. They aren't fancy, but they shoot and can take a lot of abuse.

Thanks for your advise,

I`m told it will take 6 in the mag and has the sought after pop up sight as well as these rifle specific mounts. I`m not looking for a pretty gun just accurate and reliable at all times. I think the barrel is still 25" so that may require reducing.

I`ll let you know how it goes...
Charly

Shavesgreen, the advice you have been given here is golden!

The ZKK 602 is a rifle you will see most often in the hands of African PHs, and most will have a pair, one chambered for 375 H&H, and the other chambered for 458 Win Mag, or re-chambered to 458 LOTT. The express sights are rugged, and work very well with the stock design. As others have told you these rifle are "WORKING" rifles, and are as tough as anvils. They are true CRF (controled round feeder) a feature I wouldn't do without on a bolt rifle I would be useing on dangerous game! I would say a full 80% of the ZKK602s were sold to people in Africa to PHs, or game departments.

The rifle you are looking at, if the bore is good, and it feeds properly, with the scope and rings, included, is a find I'd love to come across, and if you can get it for under $1200 USD I'd jump on it, especially if it were a 458 so I could re-chamber to 458LOTT! The rifle is still made but in a new configuration and is called a CZ 550 today, but is not as tough a rifle as the old 602, IMO.

I do already have a CZ 550 in .243, which is very poular in the UK, and have found it accurate but a little agricultural!

I have agreed to take this rifle at £600, with the scope and mounts, so roughly 900 usd? I`m happy with that but will be adding a Laminate stock, cutting down the barrel to 22" and will look for a trigger kit.

When I get my hands on it I`ll do some before and after shots...

once again thanks for the advice,
Charly

Hi Charly,
Tell me did you ever find a decent trigger kit??

Please send me before & after photos.

I too use a Brno ZKK 602 but in 458 Lott.... I would like to get a decent trigger kit and also get a new stock!!!

Regards,

Sorry to say that I never did manage to source a trigger kit for the 602. A friend offered me a rem 700 stainless synthetic which had been bedded and fitted with a timney trigger so I bought that as well. I still have the BRNO and will keep looking for the trigger.

I have found the rem 700 to shoot really well, just a shame it`s not controlled round feed. It`s also really light so I`m having a muzzle break fitted to calm it down a little!

When I finally do complete the BRNO I will post some pics for you. If anyone comes across any trigger kits available please let me know.

All the best,
Charly

Shaves Green

ZKK 602 BRNO is a sturdy , solid and a reliable rifle with the failsafe action the wars had been fought with , put your hands on it as you see it , the caliber is universal and has lots of impact and with diverse grainage choices.25" barrel is what the rifle is originally produced with.

Go for it !!!

Monish

I just missed a similar rifle in .375 H&H earlier this week for $605. USD. I was on at $600. and got sniped at the last minute. I'm still crying. There are many smiths world wide who can clean up that trigger for you. Also, I believe that the Timney triggers made for Mausers will fit this rifle.

I am probably opening a hornets nest here, because I am well aware of everyone's feelings on rifles for dangerous game, i.e. push feed-vs-controlled round feeding. Does anyone actually have first hand experience (or even second hand) with a push feed action d.g. rifle not performing properly when needed? I read everything I can get my hands on and I have never heard of one verifiable instance of a push feed action jamming, failing to feed, failing to extract, etc. I don't care about someones girlfriends second cousin was told by a friend of the guy down the street. I want real world experience. Don't get me wrong here, because I LOVE my Mausers, but I also love my Remington rifles. I have never hunted dangerous game yet, but I plan to in 2012. I can buy any brand (H&H is just too much), but when the chips are down is one really better than the other. Not just your opinion, but actual experience with a malfunction directly attributable to the style of action. I am anxious to hear from everyone.

Semper Fi,
Airedale Marine

"Does anyone actually have first hand experience (or even second hand) with a push feed action d.g. rifle not performing properly when needed?"

Yes. I jammed up a M700 by short stroking it. It did not end up as a problem because the first shot was good, but it took several seconds to clear the jam. I am a very experienced shooter and hunter, but just screwed up. I really felt like the village idiot.
I still am a big fan the M700 for most game, but after that experience my DGRs will always be CRF.

I have had a couple of hunters who had the extractor on their 700 fall apart in the field. That can be a bit of a problem.

The most recent was spring 2009. The hunter was shooting a Model 700 on a bear hunt. Pulled the trigger, worked the bolt and the case stayed in the chamber and the extractor fell apart. He said it had happened once before and he had sent it in for repair. The gunsmith recommended installing a Sako extractor but he went for a regular Remington fix and it would seem that the replacement parts were no better than the original. I have been told this is more common with Remington's chambered in the bigger cartridges than it is with standard cartridges like the 06 or .270.

I am no expert on the Rem. 700's and do not even own one, but I view extraction issues like that as something to be concerned about.

As for short stroking, yes I have seen that a time or two as well.

Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me what the barrel's twist rate is on the .375H&H ZKK602?

Thanks!

Hi,
I have 2 x such 602 rifles in 375 H & H magnum...both scoped without any hassle. The first and older one I had a new stock fitted a while ago as the original one was worn and not looking/ holding well!
These rifles have hunted all the dangerous game, bar Rhino, and have NEVER let me down... never had a feed jam or an extraction problem.
Here in South Africa, the 602 action is worth more than the whole rifle, as many custom rifles are built on these actions.
I could not find a suitable 458 in the 602 and resorted to the CZ550. So far it has performed well enough, although I did have a feed jam last year in Zimbabwe on an elephant hunt. It was my own fault I'm sure.. short stroking in the haste and confusion.. but it cleared quickly and all ended well.
ZKK 602...... go for it, brother!!!!

Wayne Jacobson at American Hunting Rifles is now making a replacement single stage trigger for the BRNO ZKK 602.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brno ZKK actioned rifles are great workmans rifles. I own 4 rifles with ZKK actions 3 of which have the pop up peep site in the rear receiver. They are cock on opening actions and not "on closing" as mentioned. Scoping them cannot be easier as they come ready to fit QD mount rings and have a very sturdy mounting system.

375H&H will hold 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
My 500 Jeff will hold 3 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.

Slight polishing on the bolt rails will make it feed as smooth as you can get.

I believe the original ones in 375 H&H have a 25 1/2 inch barrel with a 1 in 10 twist rate.
Not all were fitted with hogsback stocks, all 4 of mine have classic straight stocks.

The ones with the pop up peep sites are the most sought after and believed to be the best.

I have used mine for many years without a single glitch, they make excellent back-up rifles, this is why so many of them are used by professional hunters.

Rigby has used these actions on their rifles as well, so this will give you an idea how good they are.

As for push feed actions vs controlled feed, the main problem comes with the extraction rather than the feeding of the cartridge. When extracting a fired case the push feed action has to only pull the shell out with a very small extractor claw whereas the Mauser/ZKK action has a much larger extractor claw which also turns or cams as you open the bolt which makes for much better extraction.

As for Remington model 700's, they are probably one of the worst rifle actions to consider for a DG rifle. Short stroking, broken extractors, extractors slipping over the rim, inability to eject an unfired cartridge, safety issues all come to mind.(and yes my first DG rifle was a remington m 700 in 375 H&H and thankfully I got rid of it as soon as I could).

Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me what the barrel's twist rate is on the .375H&H ZKK602?

Thanks!
Twist is 1/12 according to old literature I have from BRNO. # of lands is 4. bbl length 25".

@IvW how do you get that one in the chamber for the 5+1? I thought due to the large extractor claw the round has to feed from the magazine. Forgive my ignorance on this.

I shot a buff last year with my friends ZKK600 in 375, according to the barrel stamp this one was made in 1973 (if I remember correctly). It's a lovely old rifle with the pop up peep at the back. The blueing is just a memory and the stock is scratched and dinged up badly. I offered to buy it from him but He said no, I said I would buy a brand new cz550 for him and he still said no. He knows what he likes, he trusts that rifle and won't part with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg