Another new guy from Indiana??

Henrysdad

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve been lurking around a bit dreaming lately about getting to Africa to hunt. I used to dream of hunting Africa when I was much younger and when I hunted a lot more than I do today. Life tends to continue on and dreams become lost. As with most things in life, life takes some turns we least expect and before we know it we are toiling away at the rat race. I’m only in my mid 40’s so I think I have still have time to change my ways... lol.... I now see a chance that I may be able to hunt Africa ..... and possibly hunt a lot more than just one time too. I have a new job that pays fairly well, and my wife is from Kenya and she likes to visit her family, so we will be traveling there every couple years.
I have mostly hunted and trapped Indiana woods game, I’ve been to Pennsylvania for Bear and whitetail, and to Kansas for Phasant. I have been out to South Dakota and Wyoming for prairie dogs. Also I have driven the Alcan Highway to Alaska but that was to pick up a Maule airplane project. I would love to hunt Browns, Moose and Elk here in the states still.
I will be visiting Kenya next year but have not made plans to hunt, just visit. I have not done any hunting research because I never thought I would have the opportunity to hunt in Africa. I have bought the big guns already though... cart before the horse?..lol.... I have married a Kenyan woman so I will be spending some time in Africa and my thoughts are that there is a real possibility I could pull this off.
I should probably do some research before asking but since I am here introducing myself I will say I have connections in Niavasha, Kenya. Wife’s family. Nairobi also.
Is there any recommendations or suggestions for that area?
I’m a private pilot also, so I’ve thought about the idea of getting checked out and renting a small plane to get to where I need to go. ?
Thank You in advance.
I have a Remington 700 in 458 Win Mag, and a FN Browning 338 Win Mag. Also deer size game and varmint caliber rifles.

Welcome Henrysdad to AH! As I understand it Kenya is still a no-go to hunt. They band it years ago. I would contact your friends there to see if there are any private reserves open to hunting.
Best of luck in your pursuit!

Welcome aboard Henrysdad. Yep, sorry to say what Ridgewalker said is true. Any hunting done while on vacation visiting your wife's folks will require a side trip. There are lots of outfitter / sponsors on AH that can fulfill your dreams / desires for an African hunt. All you have to do is decide when you want to go and what you'd like to hunt.

Welcome to AH!

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH Henrysdad!

Giday and welcome to the A H forum Henrysdad

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH

Welcome! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.
We would be happy to assist you in anyway possible.

Thank you all for the warm welcome’s. It does look like Kenya put the halt to hunting long ago. It look like AH is the place to get informed about my options though.
Thanks again

Welcome Henrysdad. This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy and have fun planning!

Welcome to AH @Henrysdad! If we can be of any assistance with US Customs or shipping, please call, email, or send me a message!

Welcome to AH, lots of opportunities to hunt in Africa! Try to narrow down what kind of animals you want to hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg