A Sad Day Yesterday. Had to Put My Old Dog Down!

When I pass I wanna go where my dogs are..

No words can remove the pain, but please know you have my deepest sympathies. I've been through it and fear I'll have to do it again very soon.

So sorry for your loss @Ridgewalker, no lack of truth in the statement “They are Mans Best Friend”.

RIP Rosco, may your pastures be full of quail!

I'm so sorry for your your loss, always heartbreaking and so painful.

The Rocking G Family feels your loss buddy.
Thanks Justin! You know what a hard working little dog Rosco was. Sadly his owner wasn't as good a shot as Rosco was at finding quail!
I honestly think Rosco enjoyed the hunt more than the kill just like me. His last was less than a year ago. He couldnt get into the field last fall. He could barely get around the yard and i had to lift the little guy on and off the couch. But he wiggled his way over next to me for his head and neck rub.

I remember every bird dog since I was little like they were family. I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

@Ridgewalker Im so sorry for your loss. Rosco looks like a real character and a hunting machine. I know you will miss him I still miss Toby (my Parsons Russell terrier). They leave a massive hole in our lives but I keep thinking they are all up there hunting eating and sniffing (each others butts).
I also think they are keeping others we have lost company.

Rest in power dear Rosco

Just saw this post Phillip so I am late to say that I’m sorry to hear about your four leg friend.

Grandma, granddaughter, and I have decided we are going to visit some of the locations Rosco and I hunted and sprinkle his cremated ashes at each. Maybe it will lighten my sad heart a bit. He was such fun to hunt behind.
Early in life while developing his retrieving skills, on an eastern Colorado State Wildlife Area we were chasing chukars. At the flush my bud dropped a leg on one as it made its escape. We were at a high point and watched the bird sail over 300 yards down into some thick sage and rabbit brush. My bud said “stop Rosco, he’ll never find that bird!” We sat down and relaxed. Within a few minutes here came my pup wagging what was left of his cropped tail showing off the chukar to my bud and me.
Many more times Rosco would make these long retrieves to take care of my poor shooting.

He taught himself that pheasants are a different hunt. After going on point only to have them run off, he learned to crouch to stay hidden somewhat from them. As soon as I was 10-15 yards away, Rosco would back out, then swing around blocking their escape!
You just cant teach that to a dog. They have to figure it out on their own.

Once on one of our many trips to east Texas to visit my parents as usual we camped at one of the state parks one winter. Very few campers at that time of year, so I mostly left Rosco off leash. As always using his nose, he snooped around trying to find something of interest in all the brush around our site.
Suddenly a flock of turkeys appeared! Instantly he went on point! Slowly he turned his head and looked at me as if to say “what the heck are those? I don't think I can get one in my mouth!” He stayed on point shaking from excitement until the turkeys moved back into cover. Then he ran to me for approval and a head petting for pointing so long.

Phil, It was a real honor to hunt behind Roscoe.
Thinking about you folks

15 years and 4 months of unconditional loyalty. We woke yesterday as normal. I let old Rosco out. Suddenly he wasn't coming back in. I looked out and he was moving strangely staggering in circles. I went and brought him in. Lifted him onto the coach as ive had to do for a while now. His head was turned hard to the right...strange. Suddenly he went into a seizure. Never before!
I called the emergency vet and rushed him in. I was allowed to carry him in and then had to leave. They called and informed me he probably had a stroke and had another seizure while the doctor was present. They gave me all the alternatives, but it was time.
I returned and was taken to a room where they carried him in and gently placed him on a bed on the floor where I was sitting waiting. They told me to take all the time I needed. I held his head stroking his chest and jaws the same as I had done hundreds of times sitting on the coach.
They say as you get older you revert to a child again. This is true. I cried like a child. Not the least embarrassed to admit it.
I finally got in control and called the doctor. She was very calm and patient with us. I said let’s finish it and she softly explained what was going to take place. It was very peaceful as his head began to relax into my hand. His eyes became drowsy finally closing. The doctor made the final injection. Rosco’s chest quit rising and falling. The doctor checked his heart and quietly said he was gone. He uncontrollably cried again. Layed his head softly on the pad and had to get out of there.

View attachment 383493View attachment 383494View attachment 383495View attachment 383496View attachment 383497View attachment 383498

We hunted from Montana to Texas together including at the Rockin-G-Ranch on the best quail hunt we had ever been on.
He was my constant companion even when just going to the store where he would calmly wait for me to return. He road 1,000 miles each direction from Colorado to East Texas to visit while my parents were still alive 4-5 times a year. He even road with me alone on a couple of 2,500 mile each way trips to south Florida while the family flew. Long drives, but he never seemed to be bothered by them.
He went swimming from the Rogue River in Oregon to the Gulf in Florida and many rivers and lakes between. He loved to water retrieve!
At my age, I’ll never get another dog to train. I’ll settle for great memories of my best bud and traveling companion, Rosco.
I’ll miss you old Rosco! I was truly blessed to have had you a part of my life! May you Rest In Peace.
My sympathy for you, Phillip. On saying goodbye to my beloved yellow lab, Jazz, two months ago, my sister-in-law expressed in the simplest, most poignant way. "Jazz was loved and he knew it". Phillip, Rosco was loved and he knew it.

Phil, It was a real honor to hunt behind Roscoe.
Thinking about you folks
Thanks Steve. That was his last hunt. As you probably saw, his strength and energy level just wasn't there to keep up with the much younger dogs. Sort of like mine!

Deepest sympathies for you sir! Hard to let them go but all we can do is know when the time is right for them even though its rough for us. Thats a long life for a dog despite them always being too short in our opinion...and it sounds like it was sure a great one. So terribly sorry for your loss, I'm sure he was glad and comforted to have you there for him at the end!

Sorry for your loss. I lost my oldest buddy in oct. After 17yrs, it was a rough day ! Seeing her laying in the grass, not moving when I called her.
My kids are grown and out of the house. Everyday I spend with my furry kids, we get even closer.
I know how you feel . And I hope god is helping you through it !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg